POS Netgear Router...

Variance

I have to stop buying stuff mainly because it looks good.

This damn thing has reset itself on me about 20 times today and I have no idea what the problem is. It's so damn irritating. I'd kick this thing to the curb if I had the money for a replacement lined up. Maybe it just needs to cool down but it's been grating on my nerves for the past 4 days. :banghead:

For future reference, is there a more dependable brand of router out there?

i have a linksys wired router for the PC and And PS2 and i bought a netgear wireless for the PSP. It was $30 dollars. Netgear runs so F'ing hot. plus it always needs to be rebooted. the linksys needs to be constantly runned or it will go idle and need a reboot. i hate um both, but i would recomend linksys. but if you can wired is so much fast and reliable than wireless.

I got two Linksys' and got fed up with them. Both of them randomly freezes up under heavy *cough* torrent *cough* traffic.

I switched to a Belkin now, and it's rock solid. Other than the fact that the config page doesn't work with Firefox.

I might look into the future of getting a Linksys again, probably just for hacking.

Well, since my original post, I tried standing it vertically to allow it to cool better or whatever. It seems to have worked as it hasn't reset yet. I might not have to trash it after all. :scratchchin:

EDIT: Spoke too soon...it just reset twice after posting this. <_<

Edited by Variance

I bought a US Robotics one. It's a little more money, but it's more of a business-grade unit for the home. I used to have periodic resets with it, but a recent firmware update fixed that. Maybe you should take a trip to http://www.netgear.com and see if they have any firmware upgrades for your router?

I bought a US Robotics one. It's a little more money, but it's more of a business-grade unit for the home. I used to have periodic resets with it, but a recent firmware update fixed that. Maybe you should take a trip to http://www.netgear.com and see if they have any firmware upgrades for your router?

I already have the latest firmware installed and it doesn't look like they plan on producing anymore. I tried fooling around with some of the settings, so we'll see how this turns out.

US Robotics are no longer with 3Com, if you aren't aware of that. They're rebadged/repackaged D-Links.

I used Netgear hardware for 10+ years (modem, routers, hubs, etc) with no problems... used them at home and in the startups I worked at.. their products always had a certain 'geek' appeal, out of the mainstream.

A few months ago, though, I bought a Cisco Linksys cable modem w/ integrated router when my RCA cable modem died... no problems...

Edited by moltar

I think the cable modem here is starting to go. It couldnt connect for a long while. This has happened more frequently as of late. Called cable but of course they arent open at 12:30 in the morning. It is currently working now but for how long? Its a 3Com. Looks like a shark fin. Its 5 years old. Problem is we have Vonage so when it doesnt work neither does the phone.

I think the cable modem here is starting to go. It couldnt connect for a long while. This has happened more frequently as of late. Called cable but of course they arent open at 12:30 in the morning. It is currently working now but for how long? Its a 3Com. Looks like a shark fin. Its 5 years old. Problem is we have Vonage so when it doesnt work neither does the phone.

I had the "shark fin" up until about a year ago when it started to sporadically lose the cable signal. I picked up a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard and I think my connection speed saw an increase.

Same thing mine is doing. I was told by Time Warner to get a new one from their store so I shall do that tommorrow. They did run a new heavier line to it and put in an amplifier for all the cable. The guy said those are becoming outdate for whats coming up in the future.