What if...

SAmadei

I was thinking the other day about the Volt, in the light of it being used the same way as a Nissan Leaf... i.e., as a electric only car.

I know that engines and gasoline don't like sitting still for long periods... I was curious, if the Volt engineers have planned for the possibility of a owner never getting the Volt to run the gasoline engine. Sure... the Volt could turn it on briefly from time to time to ensure it doesn't suffer from its disuse, but then I was thinking... what if the owner never puts gas in it... so then the Volt could not even run the engine periodically to keep it in good condition.

Then I was thinking... what if the user never runs the Volt's engine... and the car doesn't occasionally run the engine... then that gasoline is going to slowly turn to varnish.

In one case, the engine potentially suffers from rust and lubrication problems from disuse... or has problems with keeping the fuel system unfouled.

I also wonder if the Volt engineers have planned for the possibility that owners may wish to remove the engine/gas tank to save weight if its never used... say gas goes up unexpectantly to $88 a gallon in a couple years... or if the engine was to malfunction and not be worth replacing.

Thoughts?

GM has already stated they had these to deal with and will address them.

I have heard they were looking ast several things including the engine running after so many miles. Also I heard they had considered a tank that would add something similar to stabil from time to time too.

I expect most of these cars will see engine time as most people will not plug them in ever time out. If it is cold or raining they will say I will do it the next time I drive it. That is not an option with the leaf.

If it is cold or raining they will say I will do it the next time I drive it. That is not an option with the leaf.

Realistically, I imagine almost all Volt and Leaf drivers will have a garage, so I don't think that will be an issue. Although I can see some people simply forgetting to plug in at times.

Beyond just the gas, one of the big pluses for electric cars is the simplicity and lack of maintenance. For example, the Leaf owner doesn't have to pay for or maintain any of the following: gas system (tanks, lines, filters), tune ups, spark plugs, oil (changes + filters), exhaust (manifold, DP, converter, piping, muffler, etc.), air intake (filter, throttle body, etc.), timing belt, head gasket, EGR valve, etc. I'd add the radiator and associated parts to the mix, but I'm not 100% sure the Leaf doesn't still have one.

When I try to justify the sacrifice of buying a Volt/Leaf, it is this lack of maintenance that stands out for me as the main benefit of a true electric car.

Realistically, I imagine almost all Volt and Leaf drivers will have a garage, so I don't think that will be an issue. Although I can see some people simply forgetting to plug in at times.

Beyond just the gas, one of the big pluses for electric cars is the simplicity and lack of maintenance. For example, the Leaf owner doesn't have to pay for or maintain any of the following: gas system (tanks, lines, filters), tune ups, spark plugs, oil (changes + filters), exhaust (manifold, DP, converter, piping, muffler, etc.), air intake (filter, throttle body, etc.), timing belt, head gasket, EGR valve, etc. I'd add the radiator and associated parts to the mix, but I'm not 100% sure the Leaf doesn't still have one.

When I try to justify the sacrifice of buying a Volt/Leaf, it is this lack of maintenance that stands out for me as the main benefit of a true electric car.

If I come home late at night with a lot of things to unload and the car is covered in snow at 10 degrees. I would have no issue driving on gas to work the next day. Lets face it few people check oil anymore.

As for maintenance there is getting to be so little anyway Stainless exhaust seldom need changed One of my cars is 25 year old with the original on it. Nothing to lube No tranny dip stick or oil to change, 100,000 mile plugs if you choose to go that long.

Other than old changed about 8,000 miles and fuel air and cabin filters there is little to do other than refill the washer fluid and change the tires and brakes in the first 5 years. Most GM cars do not use timing belts. To be honest I have seen most people just drive the car well over 100,000 miles on nothing but oil changes and never have an issue.

I had one guy who had his first oil change years ago at 70,000 miles. He said he bought it for economy and that is what did to save money. It went well over 250,000 with nary an engine issue some how. The frame rusted in half...... Yes it was a Toyota.

My question is all that money you save on oil changes etc would that pay for a fail battery out of warranty?

• 2 weeks later...

If I come home late at night with a lot of things to unload and the car is covered in snow at 10 degrees.

Volt owners will most likely have a garage, so that shouldn't be an issue. But if plugging in is going to be an issue, might I suggest a Prius? :)

I would have no issue driving on gas to work the next day. Lets face it few people check oil anymore.

Check? No, but everyone (hopefully) still gets regular oil changes. Except for Leaf owners, that is.

As for maintenance there is getting to be so little anyway Stainless exhaust seldom need changed One of my cars is 25 year old with the original on it. Nothing to lube No tranny dip stick or oil to change, 100,000 mile plugs if you choose to go that long.

Other than old changed about 8,000 miles and fuel air and cabin filters there is little to do other than refill the washer fluid and change the tires and brakes in the first 5 years. Most GM cars do not use timing belts. To be honest I have seen most people just drive the car well over 100,000 miles on nothing but oil changes and never have an issue.

I had one guy who had his first oil change years ago at 70,000 miles. He said he bought it for economy and that is what did to save money. It went well over 250,000 with nary an engine issue some how. The frame rusted in half...... Yes it was a Toyota.

My question is all that money you save on oil changes etc would that pay for a fail battery out of warranty?

Anecdotes aside, with a pure electric like the Leaf there is much less that could go wrong and much less that needs to be bought/maintained to begin with. For example, if you look at GM's recommended maintenance items for the current Malibu, 12 of the 22 items listed wouldn't be required for a pure electric.

If I were to purchase the Leaf I would most certainly lease one. The lease rate is an amazing deal. It also means I don't have to worry about the longevity of the battery or worry about my advanced car being an 8-track in a few years. But mostly, anyone who buys a Volt or a Leaf is going to be completely raped by depreciation. The lease saves you from that.

Volt owners will most likely have a garage, so that shouldn't be an issue. But if plugging in is going to be an issue, might I suggest a Prius? :)

Check? No, but everyone (hopefully) still gets regular oil changes. Except for Leaf owners, that is.

Anecdotes aside, with a pure electric like the Leaf there is much less that could go wrong and much less that needs to be bought/maintained to begin with. For example, if you look at GM's recommended maintenance items for the current Malibu, 12 of the 22 items listed wouldn't be required for a pure electric.

If I were to purchase the Leaf I would most certainly lease one. The lease rate is an amazing deal. It also means I don't have to worry about the longevity of the battery or worry about my advanced car being an 8-track in a few years. But mostly, anyone who buys a Volt or a Leaf is going to be completely raped by depreciation. The lease saves you from that.

The leaf could still have many problems. Electical issues in cars today are the #1 complaint. Most often the mechanical bit rarely fail.

You will eleiminate the engine issues and nothing more on the Leaf nothing more. Bearings hubs, shocks, body control mods are going to be the same.

On the other hand the Malibu battery is cheaper to replace and rarely has one had engine issues. With the lower price it makes it easier to pay for a repair out of warranty.

Besides how many days would it take to drive a Leaf to CA from NY if you wanted too? Where you you plug it in?