College kids buy GM

milleramerican

I was sittin there in my econ class and I hear this guy sitting next to me talkin to his friend about his friend's new car purchase. The guy bought a Cobalt SS. Sweet, he said he loves it. Then the guy sitting next to me mentions that he got a new car too. Guess what car it was? He said it was a SUPERCHARGED REGAL! I was like whoa!!! I asked him if it was a GN and he said no, but it was a 99 GS. I said sweet choice, to which he replied that its a great car, very fast, etc.

That put a smile on my face, hearing young kids actually buying some GM products and knowing that they are actually pretty nice.

Yeah, well... in H.S. I drove a 1994 (almost new) Pontiac Sunbird, then in College I had a 1993 Olds Achieva for a while. Then I started workgin at Bill DeLuca CHevrolet& Pontiac and the plan was to buy the first F-body that came in used.

First we got a 1995? Firehawk (6-speed) with a hood mounted tach... that was about $18,000 used so it was NOT happening. After that we got a couple of really horribly abused V6 3rd gens. Again, not my style and not worht the trade-in value.

Then we got a 1981 Chevy Malibu Sedan w/305 in trade. Battleship Gray, Low miles. I wanted it. The problem was the rear of the frame was rotted out beyond help.

Then one day I sold a Granp Prix GTP and took in a somewhat cool trade. 1987 Mercury Cougar XR-7. Burgundy with gray. I always thought the rear window treatment was hideous on these cars and I was NOT a fan of Ford at the time. But hell, it was V8 (302) RWD and in great shape. Only had 87K miles and we only gave her $825 in trade.

So that became my first car. Bought, insured, titeled by me.

Now years later I've had over a dozen GMs, a few non-GM Demilition Derby cars and my one and only Japanese car. A 1984 Datsun 810 Maxima.

I've own a 1st gen Camaro (68) and I had a fantastic beater 3rd gen Firebird. (83 w/ a GM crate 350 motor)

I'm pretty sure I'll be loyal ot GM from now on, but my priorities are shifting more towards RWD and American made than JUST GM. The new Charger looks better and better every day.

Well... My first car was a GM. :P

If GM had let Pontiac make a RWD compact coupe in the 90s or never cancelled the Fiero... well... and had it so everything wasn't crap... My next car might have been another Pontiac. But wanting a fun and reliable car means my next car will either be a 240SX, Miata, BMW 318/325is, Impreza, CRX, or Integra. A few others might be considered to. Oh well, it's GM fault. :D