New car shopping...

GMTruckGuy74

Okay people... I'm tired of the Malibu already. I usually lease, however the wife talked me into financing. I've had the car 26 months already (on a 60-month payment loan). I know I'll probaly not be happy when dealing with trade-in values, but I want to get back into leasing and want a new car other than the Malibu. Going to the Philly Auto Show next weekend witht he wife to find out what might possibly be the next vehicle.

So I'm going to make this fun and ask all of you C&Gers what I should get, or at least look into. Here are my guidelines:

1. Must be a GM vehicle

2. Must be a four door (hey, I have an 11 y-o and a 6 month old!)

3. Must be something the wife won't mind driving (she does a 32 mile one way trip to work, so we have to rotate the use of our two vehicles to keep mileage in check)

4. Price must be realistic (this may be hard to figure out, since lease prices vary upon residency location, lease programs, etc. I'd love a Lucerne CXL, but think the lease will be too high)

5. Fuel effiency should be good (the Malibu gives us a combined 26-28 MPG; we already have an Envoy, so the nev vehicle will have to be a little better than the Envoy)

I have two vehicles in mind (one I like, the other the wife likes), but I won't say what they are b/c it makes this topic useless. So give me your best suggestions, and maybe it will end up in the driveway in two weeks! :P

Well, @ the value end of the spectrum...A loaded 06 ION 3 is a good choice because of the new engine choice. Pluis the dent resistene body is a good choice for commuting. You can get one for around 17k. At the upper end, there is something like an 06 Impala...but I am partial to Saturn so...

Edited by Ravenfreak13

The Flip and Fold rear seat of the Impala could be useful for you too.

A Lucerne CXL would probably lease between 300 and 350 a month if you didn't option it up too much.

You say you already have an Envoy and the fuel milage must be a little better then that. What about a GMT-900 Tahoe?

Well, @ the value end of the spectrum...A loaded 06 ION 3 is a good choice because of the new engine choice. Pluis the dent resistene body is a good choice for commuting. You can get one for around 17k. At the upper end, there is something like an 06 Impala...but I am partial to Saturn so...

I'd say go for its cousin, Cobalt. Or, if you like a bit more style, try to look for deals on a Saab 9-2x.

I'd wait 6-7 more month and go with an Aura with the 3.6 and 6-speed auto. If you want the best MPG you could get the Aura will the 2.4.

Or, I suppose you could check out the Vue Green Line, but I think that will be out a bit later than the Aura (don't remember exactly).

Waiting a little while would also help you figure out if you owe more than the Malibu is worth on trade-in and give you a chance to catch up if you do owe more than it's worth.

Then again, the Aura may be similar to the Malibu if you don't go for the 3.6, so you might not want to get it.

Pontiac G6 GT sedan... sportier and much better looking than a Malibu, imo. Are you sure you're ready for a Buick? The only LaCrosse I really like is the CXS, and it's kinda pricey I guess. Impala, to me, manages to be a bit sportier, even in base trim, than Malibu. Another good choice.

Like ocnblu, I'd say the G6, but in GTP trim to get the hydraulic steering.  Though related the Malibu, the G6 manages to be a lot more fun.

Same with the SportCombi, but you also get additional cargo capabilities. Also, the SAAB doesn't have the electric steering, which I believe the G6 does. Edited by Croc

Can you do a lease on a CPO vehicle. I just ask because the Saabs, and the car I'm about to mention, probably fit into your price range better if they're lightly used.

How about a CPO CTS. With the 2.8 and 3.8, you get 1mpg better in the city in the automatic vs. the manual.

Have you considered stepping up to the Malibu SS? I know that regular Malibus drive like the rolling equivalent of fat free ice milk. The SS should be a much better ride, at a few bucks cheaper than a G6 GTP.

I can't argue with any of the other choices in this thread.

Plus there's that Sky you've been wanting.

For those saying the G6 has electric power steering... yes, but not in GTP trim. Hydraulic steering, like Bobo said. Forget?

As for which new car to get? Well... G6 GTP, Vibe GT, Saab 9-3, or Saab 9-2x are my recommendations. Okay, so only 2 are real GMs, but that doesn't matter, does it? :P Anyways, If you feel like waiting, the Aura wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Let me update you on what the wife has already said NO to:

1. Impala (any model)

2. HHR (she doesn't like retro)

We've looked at and sat in both of those vehicles recently... she thinks Chevies are too plain (I tend to agree, however I do like the HHR). She wants me to keep the Malibu because it will be one less car payment (hahaha - she doesn't know me). However, I'm so bored with it. :P I told her I want something that doesn't look like an appliance. :lol: It's a great car, it just doesn't inspire me to drive it (now the Envoy, I can't wait to get in the driver's seat!).

As for the SKY, it's coming as soon as the auto trans constraint is removed and my image comes along. I was hoping that just knowing that I'm getting the SKY would cure my insatiable appetite for a new car to replace the Malibu. But the 'bu just doesn't inspire me, nor does it make me happy (if you're going to pay the monthly payment, at least love what you;re paying for, right?).

I do like the G6 GTP Sedan, but the trunk looks a little small, especially for the larger stroller we have (I'll check it out Saturday at teh Philly Auto Show though). I wish I knew when the AURA is going to actually be on the lots; maybe I could hold off for it (however, that GMCard $2000 top-off expires 3/31 and it's the driving force right now, along with whatever Philly Auto Show cash incentive <usually $500> GM offers in February). LaCrosse is not out of the picture, as I think a CXS would be nice (however, I need to start looking at lease prices to make sure it's in the range --> my $37,8xx Envoy SLT was really in my range, thanks to the GMCard earnings I had + the GM Employee Discount last August!).

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming - they will give me something to look at the show Saturday. Surprisingly, I thought someone would have suggested either the VUE/Torrent/Equinox!!!

Same with the SportCombi, but you also get additional cargo capabilities.  Also, the SAAB doesn't have the electric steering, which I believe the G6 does.

A G6 SportCombi would be nice... :) It's strange that the only midsize wagon GM offers in the US is in a brand not known for midsize wagons (Saab). (I don't count the Maxx as it is more of a 5dr hatch than a wagon).

There's a lot of good suggestions going right now. Sportcombi, 9-2x, CTS, G6 GTP, Aura, Vue 3.5 all would be good choices in my book. Grand Prix GXP, Lacrosse CXS are nice cars too [GXP is fast and fun!], but not really for me. Aura should be on production middle of June? Look in the General Motors News section under the thread 06/07 production schedule. Also, I really think this will be a better time to buy, what with end of model year discounts.

I do like the G6 GTP Sedan, but the trunk looks a little small, especially for the larger stroller we have (I'll check it out Saturday at teh Philly Auto Show though).

I was worried about this since the wheelbase was longer, but I was wrong. The trunk is fairly decent. I picked up my friend from the airport, he had a large suitcase and a FedEx jumbo box. I put it inside and there's still room left for smaller items.

Well, thanks to everyone that gave their suggestion(s) on what to consider. Here's what I intend to look at, with or without the wife's consent :P

1. Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan (really interested in trunk space)

2. Buick LaCrosse CXS

3. Pontiac Torrent AWD

4. Saturn VUE Redline AWD

5. (really dreaming here) GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4WD (wife will not drive a p/u :( )

Of course I'll be looking at everything GM has to offer, so maybe something else will come into consideration. I'd like to consider the Caddy CTS, but not sure if the lease price will be too high. I'll look at the Saab's, but the wife is not into wagons. I'm tempted to wait for the Saturn AURA, but with the current GM Card incentives set to expire on March 31st, it's unfortunately not in the running. Anyway, I'll update next week after I go to the Philly Auto Show this weekend.

No.

It can be had for under 30.

I'd go with the 9-3 SportCombi, too. It's roomy, safe, stylish, and cheaper than its rivals.

If you do European Delivery, the MSRP for a 2.0T model (22/31 MPG) is $24,480 (as opposed to $27,620), and you get $2000 to spend on your vacation, plus a free night's stay at Ronnum Manor and dinner.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/europeandelivery/index.jsp

The 9-3 sedan has a large trunk as well, though it won't be as distinctive.

Oh, also, all Saabs come with 3 year/36K mile free maintenance.

SAAB 9-3 would be my pick.

Get the Aero..that way it kills too birds with one stone. It meets the family needs & is the Vert that the Sky will be.

Aero models get free Aero Academy driving instruction, too.

"Remember the driver's education you took in high school? This is nothing like it. Held at the Road Atlanta racetrack, the Saab Aero Academy is a two-day performance-driving event designed to show you the extraordinary handling and performance capabilities of your new Saab. And it's exclusively for owners of these models:

2006 9-3 Aero Sport Sedan

2006 9-3 Aero Convertible

2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi

2006 9-5 Sedan with Sport Package

2006 9-5 SportCombi with Sport Package

2005 9-5 Aero Sedan

2005 9-5 Aero SportWagon

2004 9-5 Aero Sedan

2004 9-5 Aero SportWagon

The Aero Academy consists of 80% advanced handling exercises on specially constructed training tracks and 20% classroom time. Experience the challenge of the Autocross. Improve your driving skills on the skid pad. Practice accident avoidance in the lane-change exercise."

i went through the whole ordeal lately of trying to pick the right 'family sedan'

had i got gm (didn't, got the 500), this is what i would recommend

9-3 linear, for 06 has more hp. upsides are many for alow price compared to the aero, but the downside is its only a 4 popper turbo and the back seat is small

2006 9-5....you might find a great deal! you can get a stick too! 260hp!

impala SS, small back seat but good accel. wait, she hates impalas.

GP GXP? (small back seat, low seats)

G6 GTP? (narrow car, and too small a turnk)

Lucerne is overpriced, but you might be able to find a dark skinned Lacrosse with floor shifter and tan leather 3.6 that would rock your world.

CTS

hunt around, you might even land a holdover 6 cylinder STS for cheap.

sleeper pick, a one year old Bonneville GXP northstar. there's abuttload of low mileage ones out there!

likewise, there are the occasional gem 2001-03 Aurora 4.0's out there. Still prbably GM's most well laid out interior ever.

otherwise, wait for the AURA 3.6 and the Enclave/Outlook twins

BY THE WAY, STEP IT UP BUDDY AND STOP LETTING YOUR WIFE MAKE THE CAR DECISIONS FOR YA. show them women who wears the pants, man. at least she's not making you get a camry or rav4. :P

Edited by regfootball

BY THE WAY, STEP IT UP BUDDY AND STOP LETTING YOUR WIFE MAKE THE CAR DECISIONS FOR YA. show them women who wears the pants, man. at least she's not making you get a camry or rav4.

You're a funny guy reg! If she didn't have such a long cmmute to work, it probably would be that she'd have HER car and I'd have MINE. But we share the two vehicles to balance the miles (especially since I prefer leasing). So I respect that she has to be comfortable too in teh vehicles we purchase. But thanks for the ribbing anyway :P

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

The wife, kids and I went to the Philly Auto Show yesterday (SIDE NOTE: this was Justin's 1st car show <he's 6 mos old now> and he loved it!). The wife was charged with finding a replacement vehicle for the Malibu; here are her choices:

1. Volvo V50 station wagon (??? - she hates wagons, but LOVES Volvos and wants this the most)

2. Pontiac Torrent AWD

3. Saturn VUE Redline AWD

Those were her choices in order. She likes the G6 sedan, but feels it's no advantage over the Malibu in interior or trunk size. Same reasons for not liking the Buick LaCrosse; Lucerne would be a contender if the pricing was high (we both like the CXS model the best; plus no GM Card incentives eligible on teh Lucerne). The AURA, if available today, would be on the list above, but it won;t be out til Fall :angry:

She's pushing for the Volvo V50. Not crazy about it, especially since it's not a GM vehilce. Showed her the Saab 9-3 SportCombi after looking at the V50 and she does not like Saab's period, so that's not even a contender. So since we're not in agreement, I'm not sure what I'll do. The seat in the Malibu was repaired under warranty; the seat frame on the driver's side broke, so when you used the power seat to raise the height, the seat would tilt inwards :blink: The dealership fixed it, but I still don't feel right sitting in the seat (wife says I'm crazy, but I know the last 25 months I had no problem with the seat until it broke). I can;t get comfortable driving the car, don;t want it being in the shop every week til they get it right, so finding something new is the way I want to go. HELP?!?

I'm surprised to hear she likes the V50 but is against the SportCombi.

The Saab would be my choice. I saw one the other day and it really is a hot wagon. Much more exclusive than the Volvo if you ask me.

ocnblu, if that was the case, if would be the GMC version (Topkick) <-- and don't think I haven't dropped that hint in the past!!! :lovey:

Bimmer325, I don't know what to say. She is dead set against Saab's for some reason -- and when she saw it earlier and before the V50, she said to me "Now you know I don't like station wagons." I tried back in November of '03 to get a Saturn LW300 wagon to no avail (and that's how we ended up with the Malibu). Now the plus side to the V50 is that she said she would take it as her car and I could have the Envoy :thumbsup: But since she drives more mileage than I do to work, we'd still have to balance the miles between the two and that means I'd have to drive the Volvo at least once or twice a week :dizzy:

So tonight she tells me that if I want to go and test-drive the Pontiac Torrent we can. I know her first choice is the Volvo and the Pontiac is just to appease me. She is letting me get the SKY, and I'd still have the Envoy, so there is two GM vehicles. I'm just not keen on driving a "Volvo". I'd really like the AURA (and the OUTLOOK may be a future contender; she said the Buick Enclave will be her next vehicle when the Envoy lease is up), but I really can't stand my Malibu any longer and waiting until the Fall is out of the question (if the AURA would be available in May, maybe I could wait).

Anyway, any more advice or input would be greatly appreciated!!!

:cheers:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Well, most of what I would suggest has been shot down or doesn't fit your parameters but what about a Grand Prix GTP or GXP? Personally, I like the exterior styling for the most part and the interior's not so bad.

Posted Image

The only fundamentally negative thing I've heard about it is that the back seat area is a tad compromised due to the roofline.