Chrysler Paint

Ravenfreak13

Could be like my Buick... the paint just didn't wear well. If you saw my paint job, you'd think the car was abused like hell. It's faded in some areas, blotchy in others, and has scratch marks EVERYWHERE--but not the kind you get from a rock or a key... more like extremely fine scratches from maybe waxing it or something. At this point, it gives the paint job like a textured look LOL

Some of the paint was bad in those years. I believe they changed the formulas to conform to newer EPA standards. I believe alot of manufacturers had these problems at some point. My parents' neighbor has a mid 90's regal that has almost no paint on it now.

Check the forums at www.allpar.com . I think some people were successfull in getting Chrysler to pay for half or more for a new paint job.

Good luck.

Edited by BrewSwillis

The color of the paint is Bright Platinum Metallic Clear Coat. If that color has any defects...I don't know. I paid extra for it too!

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic0099wz.jpg

^thats the car.

EDIT: This link will go faster...

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kj6xh.jpg

Edited by Ravenfreak13

Chrysler has a documented peeling paint problem. I know certain GMs and Fords have had the same problem (I know of 95-99 Luminas where entire chunks of paint are chipping off down to the primer), but it seems to have been the worst on certain Chryslers from the early-mid 90s. One of my buddies has a 95 Intrepid ES and the entire top of the roof is starting to rust. It seems to affect the roof and hood usually. Early 90s Caravans and Voyagers are especially prone to this.

Here's a webpage with some more info...it's kinda out of date though.

Chrysler Peeling Paint

Article

It may have been repainted by some kind of shady paint shop.......Macco??.....Earl Schibe??   :lol:

I've never heard of clear coat peeling off without the paint peeling off.   :blink:

I've seen it. Once at Wendy's I parked next to a 1996 Dodge Stratus in Medium Fern (grey-green). On the C-pillar, there was an area that looked like different coloured paint, but it really wasn't. Just thin, clear flakes had been and were peeling off. I suppose that must have been the clear coat. My 1996 Plymouth Breeze is the same colour, but, so far so good!

Edited by MyerShift

Wow, speaking of crappy paint jobs, a friend of mine had his '96 Bonneville repainted at ECONO. I picked the car up for him and, well, here's a partial list.

*Overspray on window moldings

*Overspray on tires

*Overspray on exhaust

*Overspray on air dam

*Painted black grille insert white for no reason

*Overspray on backlight glass

But the best was the right rearview mirror. He had the lens scotch-taped on because it was broken, so what did these brainiacs do? Painted over the tape!

$200 and I believe it.

I've seen it. Once at Wendy's I parked next to a 1996 Dodge Stratus in Medium Fern (grey-green). On the C-pillar, there was an area that looked like different coloured paint, but it really wasn't. Just thin, clear flakes had been and were peeling off. I suppose that must have been the clear coat. My 1996 Plymouth BReeze is the same colour, but, so far so good!

EXACTLY!!!!

Wow, speaking of crappy paint jobs, a friend of mine had his '96 Bonneville repainted at ECONO. I picked the car up for him and, well, here's a partial list.

*Overspray on window moldings

*Overspray on tires

*Overspray on exhaust

*Overspray on air dam

*Painted black grille insert white for no reason

*Overspray on backlight glass

But the best was the right rearview mirror. He had the lens scotch-taped on because it was broken, so what did these brainiacs do? Painted over the tape!

$200 and I believe it.

Does anyone know if they paint the door openings? I always wondered if they painted that part.

EXACTLY!!!!

Whew! I don't feel so crazy now for telling others about it. Glad I'm not the only one to have witnessed it!

Does anyone know if they paint the door openings? I always wondered if they painted that part.

It depends on the quality and price of the paint place. When a friend of mine got his car painted, the door jambs were an extra-cost option.