07 Tahoe Z71

BuckeyeBowtie

Don't expect the Z71 to look any different than the regular Tahoe. Official from GM:

The Z71-equipped Tahoe is scheduled to start production late in the third quarter of 2006, and will arrive at dealerships in the fourth quarter.

The Z71 will be a suspension available across the LT trim – not its own model. Many of the popular design features found on the previous-generation Tahoe Z71 -- such as monochromatic exterior components and larger wheels -- were integrated into the total design of the 2007 Tahoe.

OK but what about this from the Press Relaese:

"The available Z71 package (available later in 2006) takes this aggressive look to the next level. It includes a specifically designed three-piece fascia with a protective, platinum chrome skid plate. It has larger tow hook openings; larger, more prominent fog lamps; and specific grille texture and platinum chrome grille trim. Eighteen-inch wheels and tires also are part of the package. "

Certainly it should have a more offroad presense than the the regular 4x4 models.

Edited by BuckeyeBowtie

Actually, in the last year or so, Z71's seem to have taken over as the most popular choice with Tahoes and Suburbans--especially since they started offering the package in conjunction with 2wd. I know quite a few people from VA and southward that have one of those.

The main reason, I think, for the popularity is that all the little details like a monochromatic paint job, burlier roof rack, and different wheels just makes a somewhat bland truck look a LOT cooler. 95% of the people who buy them could care less about any off-road suspension bits, as that's not really what the SUV's were intended for in the first place--they can do it, but most of the engineering time and $$ went into on-road performance.

All that said, I'm anxious to see how the new Z71 bits dress up the new trucks :AH-HA_wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the dealer the other day and talked with my salesman, and it sounds like the Tahoes would be selling better if the Z71 package was here already. He said he had a few customers who really liked it but are waiting for the Z71 to buy one.

Probably true, because the LT was always the popular model until the Z71 came along with the same equipment but a much sportier look, and people liked that. That's why when you look around anymore, Z71 models are the main ones you see.

So, those same owners probably just want to see how much "burlier" the Z71 package will make a new one, until they buy.

:) I am not going to piss up anybody's rope - but I really want to know what the excitement of the Z71 package is? I drove an '06 - about 15 feet...it rode terrible! I could not stand it for more than 5 minutes before my brain cried 'stop!'. Don't get me wrong - I loved the look...but the ride and drive left me wanting a lot. That was my main fear of the 20-inch wheels on the '07, but it rides NOTHING like the '06 Z71. Smooth and composed is all I can say about the 07.

I have seen a lot of low mileage Z71 Tahoes and Burbs on the lots around here...all traded on 'lesser' models due to the ride.

That is not to say that the dress up stuff that was described in the above release does not interest me...gotta have me one of them platinum skidders and that grille sounds cool too.

• 4 weeks later...

Z71's still sounds like 4th quarter? Just recently got an 07 LTZ but if the Z71's look sweet I might trade the LTZ with my dad for the Z71.

Wonder if they are going to be toned down on optoins. I remember when I got my 02 Z71 which I just traded for the LTZ the Z71's didnt have alot of options that you cold get on the LT's or LT's or whatever. Like I remember I couldnt get heated or memory seats.

Edited by garf12

Here's an odd combo...a dealer in Texas who's putting billet grilles and then the roof rack of last gen Z71's on new Tahoes and calling it the "2007 CHEVROLET TAHOE "Z71 APPEARANCE PACKAGE"":

http://www.stonebriarchev.com/specials/Spe...?specialID=2503

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I never cease to be amazed at the "special packages" some dealers come up with... :lol:

Z71's still sounds like 4th quarter?  Just recently got an 07 LTZ but if the Z71's look sweet I might trade the LTZ with my dad for the Z71.

Wonder if they are going to be toned down on optoins.  I remember when I got my 02 Z71 which I just traded for the LTZ the Z71's didnt have alot of options that you cold get on the LT's or LT's or whatever.  Like I remember I couldnt get heated or memory seats.

The option level should be exactly the same as the LT's, just as in recent years. You are correct, that in '01 and '02, Z71 models kind of had a limited amount of options compared to LT's, but then they changed that in '03+...now, besides outside trim and suspension, a Z71 and LT are identical. That should continue to be true with the new '07s.