Computer upgrades

Well the time has come to give my comp some major upgrades. Besides the additional 2 gigs of Ram (for a total of 4) and the GTX260, I haven't really done anything to upgrade it since I built it in `06. That's all about to change:

• GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
  • AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
  • Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan (for improved intake)

Plus I've got Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ready to go on the new HD.

Should be a worthwhile upgrade over my Athlon 64 X2 4600+, which is the bottleneck of my system these days.

That processor, the motherboard, the 4 gigs of Corsair XMS Ram, my 320 gig HD, and my old 7950GX2 will go into a new computer for my brother, which should be a nice upgrade over his current computer, which is my very first build, running a mighty 1 gig of Ram, an 80 gig HD, an Athlon XP 2700+, and a GeForce 6600.

And yes, this is a new forum dedicated to this sort of thing, since there's quite a few of us who dabble with computers.

i was thinking it had to be new.

your first build is close to what mine ended up being. 3000+ xp, 1gb ram, x800 radeon.

oh, what case do you use? i'm using an antec 300, with fans on low and 2 1krpm fans in front, i have an idle temp of ~30/31C. ambient might be mid 60F's on an x3 720 with stock cooler. guessing i'll be waiting a few days to hear about this?

I'm using my RAIDMAX SAGITTA 1 ATX-921WBP Black / Silver case.

Because the fan I got is so massive it wouldn't actually fit in the front panel, so I had to move it to the back and move the Thermaltake A2018 to the front. CPU cooler is stock. Idles 27-30C with the CPU multiplier at 4x.