Buick Enclave features leather, wood

Northstar

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News / January 16, 2006

http://autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...B/60113035/1115

DETROIT - The Buick Enclave crossover concept vehicle shown at the Detroit auto show is "99 percent" similar to the production version, says Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman and global product chief.

One difference: The concept version seats six; the production version will seat seven.

Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of global design, says the Enclave's new interior style, called "Heritage Forward," uses wood and leather and has adjustable individual seats. Like Buick's new Lucerne sedan, the Enclave has the brand's signature portholes in the front fenders.

The production Enclave replaces the Rendezvous and Rainier. It is expected to go on sale in early 2007. It is being developed on the Lambda vehicle architecture.

Shannon wouldn't discuss pricing but said competitors likely will include the Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX. The RX 330 retails at $38,465, and the MDX is priced at $37,740. Both prices include shipping.

I'd say that the Enclave replaces all three, and the Theta (if and when it comes) would really just be a new addition to the lineup since I highly doubt it would offer three row seating.

I agree with you for the most part. This is really a replacement for al three, while the Theta is an addition. However, I'm not so sure that the Theta won't have three rows of seats. The Enclave is a very large crossover (Tahoe size), so there would be room for an RDX/X3 competitor that did accomodate a third rosw (no matter how unusable it may be deemed by some). I thought that it would share the a similar platform to the next Vue (Ople Antera), which does have three rows of seats. If so, isn't it possible for the Buick to have them also?

I agree with you for the most part.  This is really a replacement for al three, while the Theta is an addition.  However, I'm not so sure that the Theta won't have three rows of seats. The Enclave is a very large crossover (Tahoe size), so there would be room for an RDX/X3 competitor that did accomodate a third rosw (no matter how unusable it may be deemed by some). I thought that it would share the a similar platform to the next Vue (Ople Antera), which does have three rows of seats.  If so, isn't it possible for the Buick to have them also?

Yeah, it definetly is possible for the Theta to have a tiny third row, but I think it would be smart for Buick not to offer a third row. I think some buyers with small children would see both and go for the less expensive Theta model because they don't need a real back seat anyways. If the Theta didn't have a 3rd row they'd opt for the more expensive Enclave and it'd mean more profit for Buick.

That's how I look at it, but I could be totally wrong with my assumption.

I agree with you for the most part.  This is really a replacement for al three, while the Theta is an addition.  However, I'm not so sure that the Theta won't have three rows of seats. The Enclave is a very large crossover (Tahoe size), so there would be room for an RDX/X3 competitor that did accomodate a third rosw (no matter how unusable it may be deemed by some). I thought that it would share the a similar platform to the next Vue (Ople Antera), which does have three rows of seats.  If so, isn't it possible for the Buick to have them also?

I think the upcoming Suzuki XL-7 may be both a Theta based project and a 7 seater...which may preview what you're talking about...

I wonder if GM made a mistake by lumping Buick in with Pontiac and GMC with its channel strategy instead of pairing it with Cadillac? I certainly understand GM's desire to make and keep Cadillac something special (and I understand the focus on Cadillac's renaissance at the time the channel decision was made), but it seems that Buick's solid entry-lux offerings (especially the ones coming like Enclave) would mesh nicely with Cadillac's more expensive offerings. Maybe there were far too many Buick dealers compared to Cadillac dealers to make it workable?

Edited by buyacargetacheck

I wonder if GM made a mistake by lumping Buick in with Pontiac and GMC with its channel strategy instead of pairing it with Cadillac?  I certainly understand GM's desire to make and keep Cadillac something special (and I understand the focus on Cadillac's renaissance at the time the channel decision was made), but it seems that Buick's solid entry-lux offerings (especially the ones coming like Enclave) would mesh nicely with Cadillac's more expensive offerings.  Maybe there were far too many Buick dealers compared to Cadillac dealers to make it workable?

an interesting question if GM had the ability to re-align the dealer structure. unfortunately, such is not the case.

but with so many brands and so many dealers it's a tough one to deal with at this moment.

I wonder if GM made a mistake by lumping Buick in with Pontiac and GMC with its channel strategy instead of pairing it with Cadillac?  I certainly understand GM's desire to make and keep Cadillac something special (and I understand the focus on Cadillac's renaissance at the time the channel decision was made), but it seems that Buick's solid entry-lux offerings (especially the ones coming like Enclave) would mesh nicely with Cadillac's more expensive offerings.  Maybe there were far too many Buick dealers compared to Cadillac dealers to make it workable?

Thats a good point. Pontiac/Saturn dealers and Buick/Cadillac dealers would've made a lot more sense.

WOW, i didn't know the RX was that expensive. barf!

I think Buick belongs with the GMC/Pontiac b/c it completes the lineup.

And I don't think Buick and Cadillac would complement eachother. Gm wants to buyers to follow the ladder. Not only does Cadillac have a full lineup, but being apart has it's own ambience?

I would have put Saab with Buick, or Saab/Saturn

Edited by jbartley

Hard to believe GM would consider the RX330 to be a target; the Enclave is a much larger vehicle.

Well, by the time the Enclave comes out, I'm sure Lexus will have the next RX out too and I'm positive that it will grow in size. They'll be the perfect match.

Shannon wouldn't discuss pricing but said competitors likely will include the Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX. The RX 330 retails at $38,465, and the MDX is priced at $37,740. Both prices include shipping.

I'll never be able to figure out how pricing is set. In Canada, the MDX is more expensive than the RX330 ($53G vs $52G).

I hope the GMC Acadia with 5.3l v8 is less than 80% of the Enclave's price or it might be out of my reach...

B.

Hard to believe GM would consider the RX330 to be a target; the Enclave is a much larger vehicle.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the headline.

Let's give GM credit for recognizing what a home run the RX is, though. Can't tell you how many of our customers ask if we have something 'like that Lexus.'

While the Enclave is a fairly beautiful and thoroughly executed car, GM will have to set pricing levels realistically, and undercut the competition [significantly if they are shooting for the RX], at least at first, to gain buyers and respect. The important thing is to make these cars attainable and to make the car so attractive people HAVE to buy it. Pricing is still an important factor. A loaded Enclave like the one presented at the auto show should go for no more than 40-44k.

It's a hit-and-miss situation on vehicle size. If you make it RX-sized, then people will complain about the lack of a 3rd row seat (of the lack of a useful 3rd row seat). If you make it large enough for a usuable 3rd row seat, then you suffer the gas mileage and/or nimbleness that other makes can offer. I'm wondering if this crossover isn't going to be a dual-purpose type of vehicle. If designed properly, a vehicle such as this could replace GM minivans while also serving as a replacement for the mid-sized suv's (GMT-360 vehicle: Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainer). Perhaps a Chevrolet "version" is in the works that offers a sliding rear-access? Geez, talk about being unique.. A side benefit, of course, would be that GM can save itself the expense of developing, marketing, and producing two seperate vehicle lines (a midsized suv and a minivan <- especially since they've really never made a competitive minivan). It certainly wouldn't be badge engineering as the Chevrolet would be a "minivan-like crossover" and the Buick would be a "suv-like crossover". It would especially be interesting as GM would be "developing" or "leading" a market segment rather than simply following others through it. That would definately signal a change in approach by GM.

DETROIT - The Buick Enclave crossover concept vehicle shown at the Detroit auto show is "99 percent" similar to the production version, says Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman and global product chief.

I'm liking this phrase. This is what they said about the Solstice. Just hope that they won't rush this one too much.

I've questioned that too. I don't think that Buick should go with Caddy. With Buick's new product, it almost make Caddy look bad. :) I've always thought that, with the right product Buick could possibly stand on it's own. I know it's kinda wishful thinking. But the Enclave showcases exactly what Buick is really capable of. With the right product (and I do mean, an all RWD car lineup), with the right powertrains and interiors, it could easily sustain itself. Create dealershiops, and a dealership experience on par with Lexus. Two crossovers, three sedans, and the Velite. I think that Pontiac (which should never have a BOF SUV) is a perfect match for Pontiac. If GM really felt wary about Buick not having a truck partner, why not combine them with Hummer? Hummer's brand is luxurious, and Buick's is (or will be there fully, shortly) also. Pontiac and GMC can still be seen as step ups from Chevy. Saturn would be a premium full line with European flair that had premium products that neither GMC,Pontiac, or Buick should have (such as a minivan). ... I dont' know... in my mind, I have entire lineups for ever division. And none of them offer true overlap.

I totally disagree. To begin with, the Enclave outclasses the RX in every way. Secondly, you can count on the RX growing a bit in size with the next gen. With the new Camry out, the next gen RX will be out in short order. If Buick made the Enclave to fit the RX's foot print exactly, or even very closely, and the next RX comes out bigger and better, everyone will comment on how GM missed the boat (once again). For the first time in awhile, GM is taking the lead with this product, and they've hit a total homerun.

The Enclave if made it to production witrh the same dash and console as the concept will put most Cadillacs into shame!

buick is more for refinement, i dont think its a bad thing that it outclasses cadillac... it gives people more of a reason to purchase a buick...

the buick enclave should be cheaper then the SRX but atleast just as nice...

but again i thought this was a theta...?

Edited by Newbiewar

?????? The Enclave has been Lamaba...this is old news really...

ohh... right... thats what i mean... then whats the theta platform?

the only new platform that i was aware of was the crossover platform which is the lambda right?

whats the theta?

Edited by Newbiewar

It's a hit-and-miss situation on vehicle size.  If you make it RX-sized, then people will complain about the lack of a 3rd row seat (of the lack of a useful 3rd row seat).  If you make it large enough for a usuable 3rd row seat, then you suffer the gas mileage and/or nimbleness that other makes can offer.  I'm wondering if this crossover isn't going to be a dual-purpose type of vehicle.  If designed properly, a vehicle such as this could replace GM minivans while also serving as a replacement for the mid-sized suv's (GMT-360 vehicle: Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainer).  Perhaps a Chevrolet "version" is in the works that offers a sliding rear-access?  Geez, talk about being unique.. A side benefit, of course, would be that GM can save itself the expense of developing, marketing, and producing two seperate vehicle lines (a midsized suv and a minivan <- especially since they've really never made a competitive minivan).  It certainly wouldn't be badge engineering as the Chevrolet would be a "minivan-like crossover" and the Buick would be a "suv-like crossover".  It would especially be interesting as GM would be "developing" or "leading" a market segment rather than simply following others through it.  That would definately signal a change in approach by GM.

more folks these days want the third row and a more carlike driving vehicle, and i think the minivan stigma keeps a lot of folks away from those.

bottom line: this is an emerging market that could explode and GM is tapping into it in a good way.

more folks these days want the third row and a more carlike driving vehicle, and i think the minivan stigma keeps a lot of folks away from those.

bottom line: this is an emerging market that could explode and GM is tapping into it in a good way.

What GM should do is offer a short wheelbase version of the Enclave with an inhospitable third row, a la MDX, SRX, and Tahoe.

What GM should do is offer a short wheelbase version of the Enclave with an inhospitable third row, a la MDX, SRX, and Tahoe.

That's not a bad idea, but I think a SWB version of one of the other Lambdas might make more sense. Otherwise you could have a SWB Enclave and at the same dealership an Acadia with a useable third row for the same price.