Which Camaro is the best looking

SODDOFFBALDRICKZ28

My faves:

1970.5 Z/28 RS, esp. in red with black stripes

1967-69 Convertible esp. in SS-RS trim

all third-gen IROC-Z and Z28 convertibles

the first cross-fire Z28s, in black with gold ground effects.

1998-02 SS, in red, pewter, and NBM

First off let me say I love all Camaros. I'd save a 4-cylinder auto 1983 one fron the crusher given the opportunity... just so were clear. But like anything i the real world I love differetn Camaros to varying levels. So here goes.

1967: first year, awsome car, likes: vent windows, dislikes: round blinkers on non-RS cars

1968: I own one. Nuff said. Sleek and Sporty. Makes 68 Mustang look very dated.

1969: Only year I like better than 1968, has for years been my favorite car of all time. Definately my favorite musclecar ever by a landslide. The sleek but muscular styling is just the tip of the iceberg. No other single-model-year car in the history of man has been offered with such an amazing variety of engines, trans, cosmetic trim, stripes, interior options, add on goodies fro the factory and race bred technology. By 1984 The 1969 Camaro was still ahead of it's time.

Four wheel disk brakes available

The first gen cars were also the first production cars EVER to get a functional rear decklid spoiler that was borrowed off the race version and was not cosmetic but necessary for aerodynamics. Hence all those many Trans AM victories.

1970.5: Great looking car... really is. But honestly I think a sad note in Camaro history.

No more convertible... not more hideaway headlights, huge weight gains and those bulky doors are also awkward.

The biggest problem I have with the 1970-2 Camaros?

Everytime I look at them I see that stupid rear window delete. The car was supposed to be a hardtop but some retard itching for a promotion suggested that eliminating the rear window would save GM $18 per unit. :angry:

True story. What, you didn't think that 3.5 foot wide C pillar was always awkward?

So with the 2nd gen they killed the F-bodys compact dimensions, convertible and hardtop bodystyles were eliminated, it gained tons of weight and then to make things worse the fuel crisis killed performance while the safety Nazis killed elegant styling.

ANd yet, even this poor dowtrodden car managed to sell like hotcakes durring the last years of the 1970s.

Moving right along:

3rd gen cars: Yeah they started their life ball-less and with corny stripe packages, but given short change and a little ambition they cane be made into amazing super cars on a budget. Many a mean G-machine has been built off a 82-92 Camaro. Thsi si the Camaro of my childhood and it was an era when things were getting better all the time. Tunned port came out, the 350 returned, 1LE made for a great sleeper & t-tops aided the chick-magnet element.

Anyone ever see that 1992? Camaro for sale in the DuPont Registry in the late 90s? It was one of the first of the big-money G-machines and supposedly was street legal and did 0-60 in under 3 seconds and the top speed was like 220 or something approaching the McLaren F1.

4th gen cars:

I have a love/hate relationship wiht these.

Along with their Pontiac bretherin they were the most performance orianted, no bull$h!, f*** ergonomics and political correctness muscle cars ever made. That crazy 65* windshield slope, the torpedo shaped fusalage & ridiculous overhangs were just too much. "Too much" in a good way and bad. By the late 90s I was really getting worried abotu "where the hell do we go from here" the next step in that design direction would have been a Countach.

Anyway I do still slightly resent the lost sales that occured beacuse of this extreeme Camaro, but hell atleast the Camaro never got as lame as a lot of other cars. Almost getting discontinued because you offer too much perfornace bang-for-the-buck?

That's kind of like getting kicked off the Hockey Team because you knock out too many teeth. Kind of a cool bragging right.

And now for this 2006 Concept. Well, it's been eight years coming for me personally and I think that it's been worht the wait. A retro Camaro taht we can all love? YES PLEASE! B)

Is it just me.. or does everybody that likes late 2nd gens also like the 93-97s (LT1s)? They bear very similar looking faces.

And if we're counting the 5th Gens.. I bet they'll be my favorite generation yet from what we've seen so far!

Is it just me.. or does everybody that likes late 2nd gens also like the 93-97s (LT1s)? They bear very similar looking faces.

And if we're counting the 5th Gens.. I bet they'll be my favorite generation yet from what we've seen so far!

Not me...

I like any 1st gen, the '70, '71, '87-'90, '96, '97 SS LT4, 4th and 5th gen.

from the factory? I'm not sure, the 5th gen has the most promising proportions, if they pan out. otherwise, the third generation.

there have been a number of mouthwatering mildly-modified 2nd gens in magazines, moreso in my opinion than any other gen, but from the factory they really didn't do much for me.

The disapointment for me was 75 with the wrap around rear window, followed by the plastic front header combined with waht I thought at that time was tacky graphics. I now like most of these items because they go "back to the day". Growing up on chrome when bumpers were eliminated for that plastic it just didnt look right. I like it now but will never like that rear window, ever, I wish they would get it the hell off the Corvette too. Its been 30 years ........OK ? :P

Favorite part about the 70-74... the huge fastback, enormous C pillor. "that which is behind you is of no importance". Thats what sports cars are about, seclusion. Today we tint windows to get some of the same effect. 70-74 are my favorites for this reason and the raised front headlights which also offered a flash back to early 60's European sports cars. Its the "Berlinetta" look I love.

Last disappointment was when the Camaro sorta looked like the Sebring from the front and the mostly character absent sides of all the big balogna styling comeing out of GM during the 90's, Including my LSS. Im so glad they are finding some contoure and wheel flares again. Edge & fold & crease & contour is where its at, tubes are for guitar amps...

Food for thought.

IN a parallel universe where bean counters do not exist the 2nd gen Camaro hardtop exists. I'm not sure exactly what the hardtop 1970 prototypes looked like and how big the rear rol down window was but I would imagine this is a good guess.

Someday I'll do this to a 1970s Camaro wiht a banged up roof section/c-pillar.

Posted Image

Caprice LOVES those quad rectangular sealed beams. :)

Best: Early first gen RS models (Split bumper)

I'm assuming you mean 2nd gen RS since the '67-'69 Camaros never got a split bumper... althought you give me an interesting idea for a custom '68 RS. :D