Camaro close to production?

-Camaro-

New Chev muscle car a Holden underneath

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthr...?threadid=25280

Demand from American baby boomers for modern muscle cars sent American executives to Australia looking for help. The Camaro was yesterday labelled a "concept car" but the Herald understands it is close to being confirmed for production.

"We have Australian engineers working on this project right now," Denny Mooney, the American boss of Holden, told the Herald.

With his connections in the US, it is likely the Chevrolet Camaro could be built in North America on the same production line as the next generation Pontiac GTO, which is due in 2008. Given that they share major underbody components, the same US factory could also produce a version of the new Holden Statesman, to be sold as a Buick.

But Mr Mooney stressed that production of the Commodore, Statesman and other models would continue in Australia and, in addition to its local manufacturing commitments, Holden would become the main supplier of technical expertise for GM's large rear-drive cars around the world.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/new-ch...6863238790.html

At the Detroit motor show yesterday, Chevrolet revealed a new Camaro but beneath the muscle-car body were the underpinnings for the next generation of Australia's biggest selling car, the Holden Commodore.

Like a giant jigsaw puzzle, car makers are increasingly sharing underbody components in order to save money - and get more models.

They fit different bodies so the cars look different but share parts customers can't see.

Since Holden began exporting the Monaro to the US three years ago (where it is sold as a Pontiac GTO), the Australian outpost has increasingly come to the attention of its parent company, General Motors.

Holden is one of only three GM brands around the world that makes large rear-wheel drive cars, such as the Commodore and Statesman.

"Holden is responsible for General Motors' global rear-drive architecture," Mr Mooney said. "We own the expertise to assemble and develop it."

Given this new development it is possible Holden could revive the Chevrolet brand in Australia.

Holden is already planning to establish a network of Australian dealers for Cadillacs brand and is also considering the potential of a Chevrolet revival.

Since it is based on the Commodore's underpinnings, the Camaro could easily be built in right-hand drive, according to Holden sources.

The last time Chevrolet was officially sold in Australia was in the 1960s, before GM withdrew the brand to focus on Holden.

The all-new models of the Commodore and Statesman are due on sale in August and September this year.

Edited by -Camaro-

This is a good read and explains much of what is going on. Some may not want to believe yet but time will show them that this is where they are going.

GM has every intention of building the Camaro. To show a Camaor Concept and not build it would be a worse public relations mess than GM has ever seen!

I expect to see a Camaro in 18-20 months and a GTO with in 6-8 months of that.

Just how soon till we see the GTO concept? It going to be Chicago, NY or the fall LA show.

I also expect to see the RWD sedans in the very near futrue as these cars are all tied together.

This is a good read and explains much of what is going on. Some may not want to believe yet but time will show them that this is where they are going.

GM has every intention of building the Camaro. To show a Camaor Concept and not build it would be a worse public relations mess than GM has ever seen!

I expect to see a Camaro in 18-20 months and a GTO with in 6-8 months of that.

Just how soon till we see the GTO concept? It going to be Chicago, NY or the fall LA show.

I also expect to see the RWD sedans in the very near futrue as these cars are all tied together.

Read my posts in the GTO concept thread. I have already answered that question.

There is nothing but speculation in that article. Denny Mooney said nothing more than what is already been said in public. OZ is GM zeta homeroom.

Bringing Chevrolet to Australia was considered back when GM Holden first acquired its stake in the new GM Daewoo. Instead they first tried to continue with the Daewoo brand and now sell Daewoo models under the Holden badge to save distribution costs. Cadillac with its much higher margins (a CTS might sell for $US75K in Australia) does not face the same hurdles in setting up and sustaining a seperate dealer network.

Whoa!  Way too aggressive on timing of everything.

First: off it is only my personel speculation and just leave it at that! I have never claimed to be an insider but I do listen when many KNOWN insiders talk. That is where I try to peice it together

Second: you were the one stating on Sept 4 2005 that claimed there was no Camaro concept and the SUV's would rule the Detroit show???? I hope your info on the Camaro has gotten better.

But it is ok as no one gets it right all the time and you have supplied good info before and I have enjoyed it so PLEASE don't take it as a flame just an example that even your info can miss or be off just like everyone elses from time to time.

Fact is if this is going to be a 09 as [GM/Lutz] claims 18-20 24 at best months is about right unless there is some kind of quality delay etc.. This car was not just started last summer. Only finacial problems can hurt things that might prevent this car coming to market. When do you expect this car 2010-2012??? It is not going to be that late!! GM can't afford to be that late after showing the car this year and they know it.

The Solstice went from Clean sheet of paper in Oct of 2001 to show room Aug 2005 year if I recall. I can not recall the month they approved production.

They had no platform and the drivetrain had not been used in a RWD. ON the other hand the present Zeta is going into to production in Austrailia and will be used world wide for RWD including North America. The drivetrain is already done and certified in the LS series of engines and tranny combo's. Work on this Camaro has gone on for more than 2 years at this point so I am sure most of the finer points are sorted out.

GM should have some idea where they are doing the RWD cars since they are cutting cars and plants in 07-09. Also they must know what vehicle will share the Camaro plant since Scott S has publicly stated where ever [i sure he know and can't state] they build the Camaro you will be suprised at the vehicle that will share the line. I think Scott would have the best idea of what was going on and his statement speaks volumes.

Anyway I'm not going to argue this it is just my opinion right or wrong and leave it at that. In time we will find out and all this will be forgotten anyway.

We should have a web forum contest to guess the date and the winner gets a Cheers and Gears virtual Steak dinner e mailed to them. It would not be very filling but it would be fun to see who can get the right year and month. You have to keep this light and have fun with it.

Edited by hyperv6

First: off it is only my personel speculation and just leave it at that! I have never claimed to be an insider but I do listen when many KNOWN insiders talk. That is where you try to peice it together

Second: you were the one stating on Sept 4 2005 that claimed there was no Camaro concept and the SUV's would rule the Detroit show???? I hope your info on the Camaro has gotten better.

But it is ok as no one gets it right all the time and you have supplied good info before and I have enjoyed it.

Fact is if this is going to be a 09 as [GM/Lutz] claims 18-20 24 at best months is about right unless there is some kind of quality delay etc.. This car was not just started last summer. Only finacial problems can hurt things that might prevent this car coming to market. When do you expect this car 2010-2012??? It is not going to be that late!! GM can't afford to be that late after shoing the car this year and they know it.

Anyway I'm not going to argue this it is just my opinion right or wrong and leave it at that. In time we will find out and all this will be forgotten anyway.

I hope you are right the faster the better, I cant wait, I was at the Chevy dealer today the salesman said he heard 2008 at a meeting. So who knows.

I hear 18-20 months also. And a decision on it by Easter.

It will probably be built in the same plant as the aveo ... heh :)

So essentially we would be looking at a mid/late 07 to early/mid 08 rollout?

Somehow I think GM had originally planned to rollout as a 09 Model in 08, but after the reception the car has recieved... realized that maybe it would be in their best interest to boost their efforts and go sooner?

It certainly sounds like they could do it if they wanted to (or highly lucrative anyway...)

Sounds like the decision is obvious and a has pretty much been made.

Do I hear a few skeptics munching on foot? :P J/K

Most GM desisions are made weeks and months before we hear about them. It is very unlikely they would have shown the car in Detroit with out plans to build.

I will offer a big appology to Ah Ha as like I said we all can be wrong. I got mixed up on my years and I expect to see this car in Summer or fall of 08 as a 09. So I think he might be better inclined to agree with a 25-30 month time line. Which is still good.

Lutz did state publicly he was commited to getting the car out in 08 as a 09.

This was my error and not sure where I lost 12 months but either way the Camaro will be coming and I am sure we will see more on a GTO soon.

I think the big key is the plant where it will be built. With the GP and W bodies shutting down in Canada in 08 I think this might be a good clue but not enought to confirm or deny anything od yet.

So anyway I hope Ah Ha is better with my new time line and accepts my appology for my Error.

I expect a GTO to come a few months before the Camaro or few months later just as the Pickup will follow the SUV's. I still expect the sedans to be first of any of them. That is where the big money will be.

As for China, If the UAW does not back down finding any car built in America someday will be like finding a Zenith TV built in the States.

Edited by hyperv6

Most GM desisions are made weeks and months before we hear about them. It is very unlikely they would have shown the car in Detroit with out plans to build.

I will offer a big appology to Ah Ha as like I said we all can be wrong. I got mixed up on my years and I expect to see this car in Summer or fall of 08 as a 09. So I think he might be better inclined to agree with a 25-30 month time line. Which is still good.

This was my error and not sure where I lost 12 months but either way the Camaro will be coming and I am sure we will see more on a GTO soon.

I think the big key is the plant where it will be built. With the GP and W bodies shutting down in Canada in 08 I think this might be a good clue but not enought to confirm or deny anything od yet.

So anyway I hope Ah Ha is better with my new time line and accepts my appology for my Error.

I expect a GTO to come a few months before the Camaro or few months later just as the Pickup will follow the SUV's. I still expect the sedans to be first of any of them. That is where the big money will be.

As for China, If the UAW does not back down finding any car built in America someday will be like finding a Zenith TV built in the States.

I have a feeling a decision is already made.I had a Zenith in my house when I was kid great point.

The U.A.W. has shown with Delphi they are'nt backing down. Look at the Healthcare concessions. Its set off a wave of growing militants.

The UAW need a reality check or bitch slap. Unions have gone way too far. They're selfish and greedy.

SOme people withe the same level of training and education bust their asses 45 hors a week and get paid NOE-THIRD what they do! And they get the shaft on Healthcare and pension.

UAW honestly needs to STFU!

Spoiled Brats. I'd love a job at any GM plant and wil gladly take a hike in benefits, three times the pay I was making at my last 9-5 job and fantastic pension on a cushy job where I never get sweaty.

[/rant]

The UAW need a reality check or bitch slap. Unions have gone way too far. They're selfish and greedy.

After Lutz's comments against cutting executive compensation, in a way, you can't blame the union for being unwilling to compromise. Some sacrifice by executives could generate goodwill from the union.