2008 Malibu

62impala

I've read a few rumors and seen one drawing that indicates that the new 08 Malibu is going to have quite an up-market appearance, and be the first car of the "new Chevy design" -- whatever that is.

Anyone heard or seen anything lately about this new upcoming Malibu? I really hope that it lives up to the hype, because the current Malibu, however nice a driver it might be, just sucks from a style perspective; it screams "rent-a-car."

You know as much as anyone else here knows... with the exception of a few people who know a hell of a lot more then any of us.

The upcoming Malibu was shown to several members of the automotive press in the past year and it has been described by many as "stunning."

I suggest the best way to look for information on this site is using the search tool up on the top of the forum page. We have several posts on the Malibu and many new models coming out in a few years.

I don;t think the current generation of Malibu was ever a great looking car but it was certainly better looking than the Camry and Accord Sedan. The G6 is a muhc nicer sedan in the styling dept. however.

I liked the new Malibu when it first came out. Its upright stance and rear end styling reminded me of the '55 Shoebox. The front end never really gelled in my mind. The '06 front end is little better. I am liking the car less with each model year. The time is ripe for the GM Design reawakening to trickle down to the bread and butter cars.

<_< Here is what I posted in the impala thread:

We'll I have to say that for all the positive comments on the Impala and Malibu, I have had the complete 180 degree experiance with these two Auto's.

On a 2 week business trip in CA, 1st week was in Sacramento and then I drove down to San Jose for the second week.

1st auto I got at the rental lot was an Impala, had 2480 miiles on the speedo. Engine, for a v6 has plenty of horsepower and Torque for get up and go getting on the freeway. 1st thing I noticed after getting on the freeway was how noisy the auto was, the freeway noise was terrible. Discovered that the suspension was very soft and seemed to not handle bumps or potholes well.

Interior was totally Cheap plastic looking and like stated, the interior color light grey shows everything, dirt, dust etc. Not a good color for a rental auto.

We'll this car got taken back via tow truck as it ended up dying on me and not willing to start again. Just like the complete electrical system shorted out. You get nothing, no lights, no turn over, it was dead.

The rental company brought me out a replacement auto, a brand new Malibu with 148 miles on the Speedo.

Same v6 with plenty of get up and go, but cheap plastic interior with light grey interior again. Noticed on the drive down to San Jose, The front passenger door had this noise like a rock rolling back and forth. Thought it was something in the door pocket. Checked it and there was nothing there. Had a passenger in the auto and they said it was in the door. So a noise that is driving me nuts.

2nd thing noticed. At 6'6" I have to have the seat all the way back. that leaves about 3 inches between the back of my seat and the back seat. NO ONE can sit behind me. What a poor design of interior space.

3rd noticed issue. Had 2 other people with me in the auto and went slowly over a parking lot speed bump and the exhaust system scraped as the auto bottomed out on the speed bump.

4th issue noticed, Trunk side carpet wall was not attached to wall seemed to be cut short so that it had a 1inch gap. Bottom board sits on 2 little plastic slots and they did not hold in place already sagging into the spare tire.

5th issue, suspension spongy and over all road noise very loud.

My list could go on, as a new auto. This is not an impressive auto. Chevy needs to build some replacement auto's that are much higher in quality both inside and out.

Very disappointed.

Highlight was I stopped at the Chevy Dealership and WOW what an Awesome New Tahoe. That is what every auto, truck and SUV should be like!

I've got a question...

How much did Nissan's 02 Altima Jump start their business? I understand it really took the car market by storm everyone wanted one, at least around here...

Do you think if GM had a car that hit home as much as that... like the Aura is a nice looking car, but how much will it cost...?

I'm thinking other people will be in the same boat, they are like :o ohh wow thats a nice car, must be expensive... and if GM hits the price tag well... saturn will have a hit and run

You know as much as anyone else here knows... with the exception of a few people who know a hell of a lot more then any of us.

like Me.

But i wont let any stuff out.

just let you guys speculate and guess

one thing it is a nice looking car from the drawings I've seen

I've got a question...

How much did Nissan's 02 Altima Jump start their business?  I understand it really took the car market by storm everyone wanted one, at least around here...

Do you think if GM had a car that hit home as much as that... like the Aura is a nice looking car, but how much will it cost...?

I'm thinking other people will be in the same boat, they are like  :o ohh wow thats a nice car, must be expensive... and if GM hits the price tag well... saturn will have a hit and run

Good question--the success of that car always amazed me. I remember when they first came out in '02 and after looking at a few, I came to the conclusion that the overall quality was about the WORST I had ever seen...door and door panels that seemed about an inch thick, TOTAL, and closed with the security of a piece of cardboard, dash and console bits that even tupperware would be appalled by, etc., etc. Then the reviews, highlighting the awesome drivetrain and general handling, but then saying just about everything else was below dimestore quality.

YET, and despite all of this, EVERYONE (okay, not you or me, but a LOT of other people) wanted one. I remember when I started a new job at a bank, and one of the younger ladies (early 20's) came over to talk to someone next to me about something, and said "Well I just hope I can afford one of those new Altimas before they redesign them--I love them". I was speechless, to say the least.

They've improved a TON after the '05 refresh, but still come across as very thin, flimsy, and cheaply built pieces...that just happen to have a lot of power and crisp handling. Weird, just weird... ^_^

If GM could come out with a car that got that kind of reaction, but wasn't such a piece of garbage, that'd REALLY give them a boost. Actually, if they can do that with the next Malibu it'd be awesome, especially if the Aura builds up some positive momentum for it...

Edited by caddycruiser

In the words of wagnor "How can a company sell a rolling toaster?" the scion XB. Scion shocked me more than the Altima. When i first saw a XB on the news i nearly craped my pants think wow that thing would never sell. Yet some idoits went out and bought those ugly ass POS's. Amazing!

In the words of wagnor "How can a company sell a rolling toaster?" the scion XB. Scion shocked me more than the Altima. When i first saw a XB on the news i nearly craped my pants think wow that thing would never sell. Yet some idoits went out and bought those ugly ass POS's. Amazing!

people will buy anything, but GM cares too much about volume to worry about a tiny nitch like the scions are... you've got to remember the cobalt itself outsells the entires scion brand...

the Aveo has a 40% market share in the compact market, over competators like the scion xA... or whatever else...

Scion is probably just getting started, but it needs to stop before they get too many rolling toasters in too many accidents

also to add to that... the HHR almost made the xB's sales for only half a year... on its initial year... with 41k units, and the Scioun was only 54k after a few years in the business... the HHR is just getting started... so much for a toaster on wheels...

lets toast the toaster in sales ;)

Edited by Newbiewar

It's Japanese...thats why.  I bet GM could do the same exact thing yet not sell half as many.

well GM couldnt have the same amount of growth on any of their vehicles...

when GM scores on a vehicle they get maybe a 20-30% increase in buyers, it that much...

Nissan was tiny when the millenium changed... they probably got a 100%+ increase in sales from the vehicle...

GM cant do that... they are already to big to grow like its the cool thing to do...

well GM couldnt have the same amount of growth on any of their vehicles...

when GM scores on a vehicle they get maybe a 20-30% increase in buyers, it that much...

Nissan was tiny when the millenium changed... they probably got a 100%+ increase in sales from the vehicle...

GM cant do that... they are already to big to grow like its the cool thing to do...

It was supposed to be hypothetical B)

The 02 Altima was successful because people believe that japanese cars are always better than domestic cars. The were willing to live with the atrocious build quality, subpar interior and tractor like 4 cyl all because it was japanese. Other than the nice V6...it doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

Actually, I do understand that one because, odd styling or not, having such great pricing structures and selling right at those MSRP's (just like Saturn did a long time ago), in addition to dealers that were set up to cater to the younger crowd and offer a ton of accessories, and having vehicles that drive quite well, are economical, and have high levels of build quality....they're VERY attractive for a lot of people.

Around where we live, there's honestly a higher number of older (like retired and beyond) folks who drive them than the younger people. One, just as an example, came in to the bank I work at part-time and when someone told him his car looked really cool (a silver xA, the somewhat rounded one), he started smiling, said he loved it, that it got 40mpg, and was the best car he ever owned--a man in his mid-70's.

Not to completely hijack this Malibu thread with Altima and Scion stories, but just had to bring that point up! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser

I can see the direction the GM is going and each generation is getting better than the last, but will GM survive long enough to finally "get it?" The first new generation Malibu ('97-03) had some nice attributes, but never stood out in the mid-size crowd. Ditto the newest generation Malibu.

The last Impala was a decently riding/handling car with decent gas mileage, but again, had fleet car written all over it. The new Impala, despite what I've read here, is a vastly better car than the one it replaces and certainly is better than the Buick or Grand Prix, but I fear we will be playing catch up to the Camry, once again when it comes out in a few months. The Cobalt is vastly better than the Cavalier, and was better than the Corolla or Civic, but then Honda leap-frogged over GM again! How could GM not see this coming?

If we are ever to get off this selling on price and constantly having to defend ourselves against Toyota shoppers, we need a ball out of the park. And I am not talking about a lower volume vehicle like the Camaro, either!

Anybody I have met who works as a supplier to GM has said to me that GM can never make up its mind when it comes to designs and design changes. If it drives suppliers crazy, then things must be pretty f**ked up.

GM can't afford to play catch up. Case in point: the Impala and HHR have an input for an Ipod (or any other device). Why not the Cobalt - the vehicle that truly needs it? Impala customers don't care (unless they can plug in their portable 8-track!), but Cobalt customers do. I know it has to do with the new "bow-tie" radio will trickle down into all the vehicle lines and they will all have that feature - eventually.

No more compromises! Better to spend an extra $500 on design and features than $1,500 on incentives.

I'm proud to say I am one of those "idiots." :rolleyes:

well, can tell you this much if the new Malibu is as different from the current Malibu as the 1997 Malibu was from the 1996 Corsica, hey we are looking at a grand slam for GM. Just imagine a Malibu with a 2.4L 160hp I-4with a 6spd MT or a 5spd AT and a small HF 3.2L 240hp V-6 and a 5 or 6 spd AT or a 6spd MT with an SS model with a 3.6L 270hp V-6 and a 6spd MT. Prices starting at $16k to a top level of $24k. Goodbye Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima. Hello Chevy Malibu. The best part is that a great Malibu leads to an even greater G6, Aura, & LaCrosse. GM will rule the segment soon. We just gotta hope & see! :)

I wonder if it's going to be a facelift of the current car, or something all-new? Same old engines and transmissions?

I read somewhere totally new awesome car. I just wish it would get here sooner. Ill need a family car soon. Want to buy and Aura or the Malibu in addition to tha Camaro. Lets go GM get em here

....not the SS-SC in our show room. None of the Cobalts have it. Big mistake. It costs $400 to have it done after market.

It's Japanese...thats why.  I bet GM could do the same exact thing yet not sell half as many.

Not really-actually its because its an attractive car with decent passenger and cargo room at a decent price and comprehensive standard and optional equipment, and decent engines-none of which the Malibu has, and after going into quite a few Cobalts, there's nothing even remotely world-class about any of them.

the cobalt SS has the imput for ipods i think...

not saying it doesn't , i just don't like anything w/ a headphone aux input called an ipod input... most people would be all to confused between what it's called and an ipod interface. 2 pretty different things

on topic....that'd be great if it has a facelift to make it even alittle more sporty than the ss 'bu allready does

• 1 month later...

I thought that the 08 Malibu was put on hold until the Epi II was ready which was going to be in 2009-2010?

IMHO GM needs to spend the development money to greatly improve the current Malibu.

The Epi I platform is a good platform it just needs a few tweaks here and there. If GM doesn't improve on the current Malibu soon then Toyota will increase it's sales lead over GM's cars.

Simple... They're asian.

The 02 Altima was successful because people believe that japanese cars are always better than domestic cars. The were willing to live with the atrocious build quality, subpar interior and tractor like 4 cyl all because it was japanese. Other than the nice V6...it doesn't have a whole lot going for

Agree 100%....

It's Japanese, so it's better by default, oh and, it was MARKETED INTO THE GROUND...UNlike your typical Malibu or Impala, which get a grand total of 2-3 ads that are used maybe 10-12 times.

THIS is why Nissan was so "SALVAGEABLE" Not because their cars are all that nice or class leading. THey are asian and THEN the media jumped behind them to hype them as one of the "Asian big 3" (eventhough they are controlled by a french company)

And THIS is why 1) Lutz is clueless to the market in some aspects and 2) You will NEVER see a domestic brand revived as well as Nissan was.

Ghosen-shmosen.... Big deal.

people loved the 02 altima becuase it was a ATTRACTIVE car, i loved the first one i saw, i donno why, becuase i wouldn't buy one now, but i wouldn't go out and by a new malibu either. I never saw one up close so i don't know what the interior is like, but it was attractive and that is all that matters to some people. Chevy needs this next malibu to be amazing, not like what they have now. I don't think any of their cars are attractive, I actually think that the new impala is worse than the old one (appearance wise), at least the old one has a little edge to it.

You will NEVER see a domestic brand revived as well as Nissan was.

Ghosen-shmosen.... Big deal.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I feel Saturn will have the same type of success Nissan had. Now, it may be impossible for Buick or Pontiac to have a resurgence simply because they aren't going to have enough products to do that.

Bottom line, the media didn't give the current Malibu it's low-rent interior.

Compared with the Accord, it's simply not competitive. Which would get your money? Call me crazy, but it certainly wouldn't be the 'bu for me.

'05 Malibu interior (on eBay)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

'04 Accord interior (on eBay)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bimmer325

Speaking of Accord interiors, I've ridden in a coworker's '05 a few times..black interior..very nice materials, fit n finish...seems very German to me--reminds me of VW/Audi interiors. Not a bad place to spend time in day to day..

Edited by moltar

I agree that the Malibu interior is lacking in the general over all look; however, in this market the Honda is $6,000 more for the 4 cylinder - even the 6 cylinder Malibu is cheaper than the 4 cylinder Accord. Not that that excuses the cheapness of the materials, it only explains it.

I don't have a problem with that, though. I think the Malibu should go after the Japanese on price. Don't forget, according to JD Powers, the Malibu has beaten both the Camry and Accord for quite a few years running so it would appear the quality is there. Anyone who remembers the Malibu from 20 years ago will recall that their interiors were hardly trend setting.

However, the Impala should go after the Accord on the general look and appearance of quality. Frankly, some people don't care about the look of the plastics - I, for one, have always found Japanese interiors (especially their radios) too, well, Japanese. If a family is on a budget, then over all price and features are more important - no amount of plastic is going to persuade them to spend an extra $6,000.

I agree that the Malibu interior is lacking in the general over all look; however, in this market the Honda is $6,000 more for the 4 cylinder - even the 6 cylinder Malibu is cheaper than the 4 cylinder Accord.  Not that that excuses the cheapness of the materials, it only explains it.

I don't have a problem with that, though.  I think the Malibu should go after the Japanese on price.  Don't forget, according to JD Powers, the Malibu has beaten both the Camry and Accord for quite a few years running so it would appear the quality is there.  Anyone who remembers the Malibu from 20 years ago will recall that their interiors were hardly trend setting.

However, the Impala should go after the Accord on the general look and appearance of quality.  Frankly, some people don't care about the look of the plastics - I, for one, have always found Japanese interiors (especially their radios) too, well, Japanese.  If a family is on a budget, then over all price and features are more important - no amount of plastic is going to persuade them to spend an extra $6,000.

Keeping the prices low also helps Chevy compete with Hyundai and Kia, which are probably more realistically Malibu competitors than the Accord.

• 1 month later...

On Saturday, I had pleasure (yes, pleasure) of riding in a 04 honda Accord. It's one of the nicest interiors I've seen in a sub-$30,000 vehicle. Extremely well thought out and of high quality.

If Lutz really wants to make the next Malibu great, he should look no further then the Honda Accord for a great example of how a good interior should look and feel like.

Now, the rest of Honda's interiors(excluding Acura) are ugly and of questionable quality. I wouldn't look to them for inspiration.

Edited by Cadillacfan

i like the TL and TSX interiors, but am not gaga over them. They are nice but slightly overdone, at least the TL. The accord's interior is pleasant and high quality, but rather dull I think. The interior of the new RDX is REALLY nice. The RL's interior is overdone/tacky. The MDX needs an interior makeover. The new civic's interior is a disaster.

I've read a few rumors and seen one drawing that indicates that the new 08 Malibu is going to have quite an up-market appearance, and be the first car of the "new Chevy design" -- whatever that is.

Anyone heard or seen anything lately about this new upcoming Malibu?  I really hope that it lives up to the hype, because the current Malibu, however nice a driver it might be, just sucks from a style perspective; it screams "rent-a-car."

I much prefer the Malibus current styling to the 07 Camry. The Camry is just all wrong in it's front pig snout and melted bar of chocolate rear end look, it's interior that doesn't always fit together with all the gaps, it's smaller trunk, it's lacl of door protection/decoration and now it's problematic tranny. The Malibu is hardly perfect either with it's less powerfull 3500 V6 to Toyotas new 3.5, lack of a 5 or 6 speed automatic(even though GM's is smoother and a bit more troublefree), terrible seat material and a very unintegrated center stack. But I always like how the Malibu dove better than the Toyota and it does get slighly better highway mileage with the V6 plus it looks a bit crisper than the bland Camry.