2006 Chevrolet Camaro Concept

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love everything about this concept. The interior is striking beyond imagination, such a perfect blend of retro and futurism. When I surveyed the pictures at the link to Autoweek, I was absolutely slack-jawed. This is out of the park, boys.

Yeah, they could've at least tried with functional guages...the back lit yellow strip is all for show of course, but how hard would it be to mock up some late 60's Camaro guages to slip in there, instead of glowing orbs?

Love the tail lights...

And for the love of things holy, bring it to Canada :CanadaEmoticon:

Makes my lease expiry decision in 9 months a lot harder...almost thinking of clunkering around town in something extremely cheap for the following 15 months to save up the dough to be first in line come (hopefully) early 2008.

I love this car. My only gripe is the chevy badge on the front. Yes, I know it's a small one but it's important to me. On camaros the bowtie should only remain in the rear. I don't think any have been in the front, corect me if I'm wrong. It's kind of like what they did on the Monte, but don't even get me started on that car...

Edited by corvette_dude729

camaro rumors via autoblog via edmunds

Well, that didn't take long. The din of the marching band has barely died down from today's press conference, and Edmunds Inside Line is already citing anonymous supplier sources as saying that the Camaro will put down long, inky stripes come 2009 on the strength of today's unveiling. But it wasn't just the espresso-soaked press pool's clamoring today that may have made the difference. Concurrently with the concept's unveiling in Detroit, General Motors pulled the sheet on its crimson alter-ego at the Los Angeles Motor Show to similarly good effect.

That this news comes so hard on the heels of the car's debut also likely means one (or more) of the following is true:

* General Motors kept tabs on the torrent of 'build it, already!!' comments that appeared in web forums worldwide when shots of the concept leaked in advance of today's debut.

* GM took note of the similar response afforded DCX's Challenger when its photos hit the internet well in advance of its NAIAS unveiling.

* The General was so sure that they had a hit on their hands during development that they green-lighted it earlier and are just now letting the word eek out.

* General Motors is spurning these rumors itself (or 'allowing' them to happen) in order to gauge America's reaction to the news and base Camaro's production hopes on said feedback.

* By jumpstarting this dialogue among enthusiasts and consumers, suppliers (or Edmund's own scribblers) are looking to wag the dog into birthing a new pony.

Regardless, the rumor mill is officially open for business.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/09/inside-...uction-in-2009/

Camaro loyalists should be even more pleased to hear, according to unofficial word from GM suppliers, that the company plans to revive production of the Camaro in early 2009. GM reportedly plans to build a version of the car on the so-called Zeta Lite platform, which itself is an evolution of the rear-drive Pontiac GTO chassis and should easily accommodate the small-block V8.

theres the actual edmunds quote. here is the article http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108825

i really hope gm can pull somethin outta there arse and get this thing to market before 2009. mayb do what they did with the gmt 900's and speed things up a bit

does anyone have pictures of the red one from LAIAS?

Edited by 99camaroSS

Awesome simply awesome!!!! I have been a critic of retro redos in the past but this car is more of a modern theme. They didn't just say lets make this a rebodied car they went ahead and put some thought into it! I say this because the Challenger concept that just came out is too much like the original. Way to go GM...build it!! They nailed it. For all the skeptics on the interior... its a show car for gods sake! But the styling cues going back to the 60s Camaros are spectacular.

does anyone have pictures of the red one from LAIAS?

I hate to play the role of Bartholamew, but this "king" is butt ugly, for three reasons.

1. It looks in the side profile like they dipped into Arh-hnolld's steroid kit.

2. The front end looks like a close-up of Jay Leno, while he was still wearing

braces on his teeth!

3. The rear-end looks like Garfield the cat, when he hatches some fiendish plot!

What happened to the graceful, slim proportions they had on the Nomad concepts? :(Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guys, take off your rose-colored glasses. Go back to the board, Chevy!!!!!

Posted Image

Edited by rkmdogs

I agree with Rkmdogs

I think this one needs serious tidying up.

The side profile is fussy with too many swage lines. The beltline that dips down after the A-pillar and then kinks back up looks plain old fashioned.

The front looks too menacing, with headlamps recessed too far (many Mustangs are bought by females and I can't see this appealing to them)

And the rear needs some nice clean round tail lights

I think the overall stance and proportions are great though, just strip away some of the unecessary ornamentation

No need to worry about calling GM as we will see this car go into production in Approx 18 months.

As for the complaints, when I see a handfull complain it is too retro and some say it is not retro enough just validates that GM hit it just right.

If they keep the price right and weight at or neer 3500 they will have done what was needed.

By the way it is a Zeta just like the new ones in Austrailia.

Look for the GTO soon to appear!

2009? Talk about being late for the train! By then "retro" will be over and the other builders will be on to the next new thing and GM will be standing there wondering where everybody went.

It's a great looking car, but it needs to be in the showrooms right now. GM needs a home run now, if they want to turn things around. Promises of future glory--3 years from now--won't keep them afloat.

I love this car.  My only gripe is the chevy badge on the front.  Yes, I know it's a small one but it's important to me.  On camaros the bowtie should only remain in the rear.  I don't think any have been in the front, corect me if I'm wrong.  It's kind of like what they did on the Monte, but don't even get me started on that car...

The '69s had the bowtie in the grille.... (base models).

2009?  Talk about being late for the train!  By then "retro" will be over and the other builders will be on to the next new thing and GM will be standing there wondering where everybody went.

It's a great looking car, but it needs to be in the showrooms right now.  GM needs a home run now, if they want to turn things around.  Promises of future glory--3 years from now--won't keep them afloat.

What I like about the design is it is both retro and futuristic...and a clean break from the dreadful cartoonish 4th gen style.

I suspect there will be detail changes for production (smaller wheels, etc) and hopefully they raise the roof (the windshield looks like it would very hard to see out of).

Edited by moltar

"I hate to play the role of Bartholamew, but this "king" is butt ugly, for three reasons.

1. It looks in the side profile like they dipped into Arh-hnolld's steroid kit.

2. The front end looks like a close-up of Jay Leno, while he was still wearing

braces on his teeth!

3. The rear-end looks like Garfield the cat, when he hatches some fiendish plot!

What happened to the graceful, slim proportions they had on the Nomad concepts?"

Hey, I think they both look great! One doesn't make the other worse or better. The only thing I don't like is that the Nomad isn't in production, and it is my alltime favorite car!

Edited by heintz

Leave it to GM to do retro right. All four generations of Camaros had their say in this design. And yet, the car doesn't look old, instead, it almost looks futuristic. Oh, and it's gorgeous.

Thank you GM. Thank you Bob Lutz. Thank you Scott Settlemire. You've just made my next car purchase that much easier.

Will they build it... :angry: Prolly not... The interior sucks... Sorry guys... Now fix the gauges, and in a few years... I might get one... Will they seriously build it tho?

From the Land of OZ.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/commo...255E911,00.html

Rebirth of a car with muscles

By BRYAN LITTLELY

11jan06

HOLDEN has played a hand in the rebirth of legendary muscle car, the Chevrolet Camaro, and it is planning a new generation of the Monaro.

Company designers and engineers have worked closely with their General Motors colleagues to produce a modern version of the mid-60s cult coupe.

The Chevy Camaro Concept looks a likely show stopper. With its long hood, short deck and wide stance, it has won over the contingent of international motoring journalists.

The Concept, which sits on a modified version of the General Motors global rear-wheel drive platform being used in Holden's VE Commodore - released this year - remains as "only a show car" intended to explore customer reaction.

The Camaro's Detroit motor show launch was based around a classic muscle car street cruise with a high school marching band, line-up of historic Camaros, basketball-style presentation with a sports commentator and live crosses to motoring journalists and about 250 Camaro enthusiasts.

The fans were adamant, "they need to build it now" was the verdict. Holden managing director Denny Mooney said much of the hardware beneath the Concept skin was picked up from Holden. "This is a great demonstration of the technical capabilities we have in Holden. It's a recognition of the skills we have and recognition of how tied in we are and how well we work globally," he said. "We're scheming on what we want to do on a new Monaro. Our designers being involved in a project like (the Camaro Concept) is part of that scheming."

More from OZ

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/new-ch...6863238790.html

New Chev muscle car a Holden underneath

By Joshua Dowling Herald Motoring Editor, in Detroit

January 11, 2006

AUSTRALIAN know-how may revive yet another American icon.

At the Detroit motor show yesterday, Chevrolet revealed a new Camaro but beneath the muscle-car body were the underpinnings for the next generation of Australia's biggest selling car, the Holden Commodore.

Like a giant jigsaw puzzle, car makers are increasingly sharing underbody components in order to save money - and get more models.

They fit different bodies so the cars look different but share parts customers can't see.

Since Holden began exporting the Monaro to the US three years ago (where it is sold as a Pontiac GTO), the Australian outpost has increasingly come to the attention of its parent company, General Motors.

Holden is one of only three GM brands around the world that makes large rear-wheel drive cars, such as the Commodore and Statesman.

Demand from American baby boomers for modern muscle cars sent American executives to Australia looking for help. The Camaro was yesterday labelled a "concept car" but the Herald understands it is close to being confirmed for production.

"We have Australian engineers working on this project right now," Denny Mooney, the American boss of Holden, told the Herald.

With his connections in the US, it is likely the Chevrolet Camaro could be built in North America on the same production line as the next generation Pontiac GTO, which is due in 2008. Given that they share major underbody components, the same US factory could also produce a version of the new Holden Statesman, to be sold as a Buick.

But Mr Mooney stressed that production of the Commodore, Statesman and other models would continue in Australia and, in addition to its local manufacturing commitments, Holden would become the main supplier of technical expertise for GM's large rear-drive cars around the world.

"Holden is responsible for General Motors' global rear-drive architecture," Mr Mooney said. "We own the expertise to assemble and develop it."

Given this new development it is possible Holden could revive the Chevrolet brand in Australia.

Holden is already planning to establish a network of Australian dealers for Cadillacs brand and is also considering the potential of a Chevrolet revival.

Since it is based on the Commodore's underpinnings, the Camaro could easily be built in right-hand drive, according to Holden sources.

The last time Chevrolet was officially sold in Australia was in the 1960s, before GM withdrew the brand to focus on Holden.

The all-new models of the Commodore and Statesman are due on sale in August and September this year.

That article will make the Rear wheeler's around heres day :)

Edited by Ghost Dog

I agree with Rkmdogs

The side profile is fussy with too many swage lines.  The beltline that dips down after the A-pillar and then kinks back up looks plain old fashioned.

Here's where we part company SimonDavid.....

The notched, or dipped-down beltline as you call it is classic shoebox era( '55,'56,'57) styling, and is the one retro signature that GM had, and I think should use more! Besides looking "cool" when you have the window rolled down,

and your arm resting on the door beltline, makes a statement.

But, maybe you where not around to remember that era..... B)

Posted Image

Posted Image:)

Edited by rkmdogs

im wondering which north american factory will build the Camaro if it is greenlighted?? the next GTO and a Buick sedan will probably share an assembly line.. those three cars will be enough to support a whole assembly plant.. I bet next year we will see concepts of the next gen GTO and the buick sedan.. maybe if these cars are produced maybe it will save one of GM's factories it plans on closing!! id say build them in Oklahoma city keep the plant open!!

im wondering which north american factory will build the Camaro if it is greenlighted??  the next GTO and a Buick sedan will probably share an assembly line..  those three cars will be enough to support a whole assembly plant..  I bet next year we will see concepts of the next gen GTO and the buick sedan..  maybe if these cars are produced maybe it will save one of GM's factories it plans on closing!!  id say build them in Oklahoma city keep the plant open!!

Good Question. Almost Every plant that was'nt announced for closure, has product for a few years.

Springhill - Ion line shutsdown. Vue Line Continues.

Fairfax- Malibu and Aura

Orion- G6

D-Ham- Lucern and DTS

Delta Town- Enclave,Outlook,Acadia

Wilmington - Solstice and Sky

Oshawa 1 - Impala and Monte Carlo

Moraine- Trailbazer and Envoy

Lansing Grand River - CTS-STS-SRX

Ramos Arizipe - HHR and ?

Edited by Ghost Dog

"Good Question. Almost Every plant that was'nt announced for closure, has product for a few years.

Springhill - Ion line shutsdown. Vue Line Continues.

Fairfax- Malibu and Aura

Orion- G6

D-Ham- Lucern and DTS

Delta Town- Enclave,Outlook,Acadia

Wilmington - Solstice and Sky

Oshawa 1 - Impala and Monte Carlo

Moraine- Trailbazer and Envoy

Lansing Grand River - CTS-STS-SRX

Ramos Arizipe - HHR and ?"

I understand he Willmington plant is highly underused with just the Kappas.

Chevrolet Camaro Receives Best Concept Implementation Award

Posted Image

General Motors Vice President Global Design Ed Welburn proudly displays the EyesOn Design Best Concept Implementation Award for the Chevrolet Camaro at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan on Tuesday, January 10, 2006.

http://www.autodeadline.com/detail?source=...051657&mime=JPG

The 70-81 car still has that 70's 'kitch' image, along with Disco and Polyester. And yeah, I know the early ones had hi HP motors. But the biggest selling models were the late 70's cars, with mostly 2 barrel carbed 305's, in Lime green and Orange.

The second gen style is played out..the 3rd and 4th evolved from it... the '69 is the still the best looking Camaro of all time, IMHO...

Finally, independant rear suspension!

79" wide track and 110" wheelbase will make it very stable and should give good handling and allow easy drifting.

I'm sure serious Drag Racers will slip an axle in there no problem if turbos and high horsepower is your thing and you need more strength.

But I have been waiting so long for a proper muscle car that can show BMWs and Porsches a clean pair of heels around a circuit too. So thanks to GM for building a proper car. Just hurry up and build the sucker!

I guess that if they say it is for 2009 model year, then it will be out mid 2008, judging by usual American new model releases.

If they build a ZL1 427 version of the Camaro concept I might just be tempted to swap my new C6 Z06 for one....

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum and would like to first of all thank its creators for bringing the fans of GM together for brainstorming.

Last week of December, while I was out to visit my family in WV, I went out on a road trip to Northern part of the state. While enjoying the back roads, I noticed three GM vehicles parked by the other side of the road (namely Monte Carlo, Silverado and a GTO). The MC, got me its atention, because it looked too short for me. The wheels were the one found on SS, but the break discs were much bigger. Further more the wheel arches seemed too absurd with the 18" inside. Frankly it looked like a chopped car with the body cut to adjust in a new platform.

To take a closer look I went down the road and turned back. The driver of MC tried to back the car up, and while doing that he revved the car hard. The REAR TIRES spun off for a while on the gravel and couple of other guys standing besides the car (I am assuming they were in one group) looked closely at the Rear wheels!

A few months back while browsing through the Car Spy Shots forums I noticed a discussion about people posting pictures of Holdens spotted testing in California.

If we look at the wheel bases of the MC, GTO and the Camaro, they are awefully close to eachother, further more MC and Camaro wheelbases are almost identical (110.5"). So was that MC, a cloaked mule of Camaro being tested?

Which brings me a question,is GM already "testing" the Camaro rather Zeta in the United States? And not to jump the gun, is the Camaro going to be released earlier than '09? If you look at the future Chevy vehicles, after the GMT truck releases, spanning for the next three quarters, there is nothing new for '08. May be trailblazer and update for Equinox/Colorado. Further what caught my attention more was Lutz's one sentence, during Detroit show, "ANY V-8 General Motors produces today is potentially slated for this car." With nothing new to develop for the Camaro with regard to the drive train, the only expensive part in its development remains extensive testing of the platform and the body, trying to fit all the parts together to make the sqeak and problem-free production a reality. Apart from the interior the Camaro looks pretty much production ready, may be the 21" and 22" wheels won't make through.

I would like the other members to please confirm with what I saw and if it is to be true, I think we will see our Favorite American Muscle Car earlier than GM wants us to expect.

Guys... I just got back from NAIAS, and the Camaro was AWESOME. The car is displayed on a slightly raised turntable, and it was packed all day long! Lots of people checking it out and asking questions. In total I took about 40 pictures of it, I'll post a few next week (left the card reader in LA).

Here are a few comments I heard while checking it out:

"I've never been a Camaro fan, but now's a good time to start" (guy in his late 20's)

"It's the Chevrolet mustang" (guy in his mid-20's) - I still don't see how it resembles the mustang at all, which BTW NOBODY was looking at! :D

lots of comments about it kicking ass, I just don't remember them

I agree with Rkmdogs

The side profile is fussy with too many swage lines.  The beltline that dips down after the A-pillar and then kinks back up looks plain old fashioned.

The front looks too menacing, with headlamps recessed too far (many  Mustangs are bought by females and I can't see this appealing to them)

And the rear needs some nice clean round tail lights

I think the overall stance and proportions are great though, just strip away some of the unecessary ornamentation

I disagree, most people don't care if it's old fashioned and besides it looks good whether it's old fasioned or not. Things DO come back into style.

The front looks fine, I think females would like a car that makes them look cool/agressive. They don't want a car that looks pssy and weak, lots of women buy big F-350s for this reason.

Round tail lights wouldn't look good on this car. It would look weird.

How can they even think of selling that much when the mustang currently barely sales that much with no competition? The last gen camaros were selling like 20k a year weren't they? 20k or 40k. Which is WAAAAAYYYY less than the profitable goal for this. Besides won't the market be saturated by the time this comes out? A Mustange, Challenger, then this? I doubt they can sale 120-160k of them... Then with the next GTO it'll be even more saturated. Unless they mean 160k of them not on a yearly basis. Edited by -Camaro-