Buick Lucerne or Impala SS

Minarets

as i have stated before, i am 25 and have never wanted for a American before. i currently drive a Maxima (which i have loved to the bone for all 198,000 miles. but soon i will be purchasing a new auto and i want to take advantage of the GMS (employee) pricing i receive from my father in law. the only American car that has struck me with a gasp has been the Chrysler 300 SRT-8, but for me and my family (wife and 5 week old) it just isnt a realistic option at this point. As many have read my review of the Lucerne, i loved what i saw and drove. a black on black CXS with all the chrome trim was the best looking GM car i have seen to date, with the exception of the CTS-V. from the fogs to the wheels, to the rear--i loved the looks and feel of this car. it road very quiet and smooth and offers every little option that i want. also the nicest leather i had felt in a car in a looooong time, maybe ever. at 40k plus discounts (especially by the time i buy) i expect to pay around 35k. The impala is another car that i wouldnt have been caught dead in the last few years--just due to the fact it gets lost with every other car at the airport rental place as well with every salesman in America that happens to not be driving a Taurus. Upon seeing a 2006 Impala for the first time and not knowing what it was i was quickly impressed. after that i knew i had to take a test drive of the SS model. loved it!! for a Chevy car, i thought it was a giant step forward. the black on black SS had nice leather seats, which lacked true sport seat bolstering, but where comfotbale. the dash looked tons better then the old corporte dash and the car drove awsome for a 303HP FWD car. tons of fun. i thought the torque-steer was not as pronounced as i thought it would have been, and i guess i am not a total enthusiast bc torque steer just doesnt bother me "that" bad. maybe its from driving a lot of FWD cars in my 9 years of driving. back seat room was dissapointing for how big the car is, but the back is mainly for a baby seat and i was also impressed with the fold-down seats that really open a lot of storage space up, coupled with the trunk. hated the SS wheels upon first site, but now love em, especially the polished version. Car fully optioned was 32,500 amd with discounts i expect to get around 28k. in short, Buick Lucerne CXS: more refined, distinguished, lux oreinted, and better preceived quality, better looks, and tons of goodies Chevy Impala SS: raw power, more fun to drive. less of the good stuff (goodies), not as much rear leg room, less $$ anyway, sorry for the long drawn out glimpse at my comparo, but what would you do?

That's a tough one. I think in the long run you'll be more personally satisfied by the Lucerne. As smooth as the 5.3 in the SS is, the Northstar is smoother. The rear seat of the Lucerne will probably be easier to get a baby seat in and out of. In 5 years, the Lucerne will be more exclusive then the Impala SS. The Impala SS may be more practical for your overall situation. With a little one around, the storage spaces will be useful. If they manage to sell at or better then the previous one's rate, you'll see lots of Impalas around.

A couple of notes: - The Impy will get better gas mileage, especially on the highway - As your baby gets older and grows, you may end up appreciating the extra room in the Lucerne. If you plan on more than one kid, the W-bod will start to deel cramped. - See if you can spec a V8 Lucerne such that the equipment level is similar to that of the Impy. I priced out a CXL V8 that I could live with, for $33K and change. - The Lucerne might end up being more expensive to repair. This is a tough choice for me. I love both cars. I don't think you'll be dissatisfied either way.

If you're worried about image and being "hip", then get the Chevy. If you appreciate refinement more, then get the Buick. The Buick will still have a tighter feel when it has 100,000 or 200,000 miles. The Buick is built on the MUCH tighter G-body, the Chevy is built on the old W-body. And remember, a Buick is going to be built more like a Cadillac, and a Chevy is going to be built more like a...well, a Chevy! :( I bought a new Grand Prix in '99, and there is no way in hell I'd ever buy another Pontiac or a Chevy. I'll be going BACK to buying Buick because they still feel well built well past 100,000 miles and more. My Pontiac has almost 90k, and it feels like a real piece of shit.

"I don't think you'd be dissatisfied either way." Both are among the best cars GM offers, and both are great looking, albeit more than a little derivative. Both engines sound phenomonal. The Lucerne sounds not as sporty as the Impala, but having seen both in person, I think I like the Lucerne better. The SS is a great looking beast however, and is available for great prices. Even with the cramped backseat, having three there shouldn't be a problem, so the expanding family is always possible.

To me the Buick does not suit a 25 year old demographic...it comes across as older...not in a bad way...just not a hip image for someone in their 20's.  To me the Chevy has a more youthful vitality.

[post="68105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Mista Earl ! Are you ever gonna grow up ? :AH-HA_wink:

Buick Lucerne! More car, better looking, and it's a luxury brand. And because I like Buick better anyway. My first car was one.

I'm torn. Part of me would take the Lucerne because it is better for the image and I think it would be more luxurious. The other half would take the Impala SS because you're probably able to get more for your money and it doesn't seem to stodgy.

I haven't driven either car yet, so I won't be of much help, but of the numerous G and W-bodies I've driven in the past, I've always liked the G's a whole lot more. The platform just seems so much more solid. The Lucerne will be more money to begin with, but over the long haul it'll probably be worth the extra money.

I replied to you in another thread, but just in case you didn't see it: Both cars are outstanding. The Lucerne looks great, rides very sedately, but it's a Buick, and at 25, I would think that the Impala SS is the "cooler" ride for you. The Impala is much faster, exudes a sportier feel yet still is a very solid ride -- trust me, the 06 Impala is much improved road-wise from the 00-05. Dude, get yourself an Impala SS!! I'm 53, and after checking them both out, I'm getting the Impala too.

Hell, I'm 19 (soon-to-be 20) and I'd take the Buick. It has the nicer interior and while the Northstar V8 in the Lucerne is less powerful than the Impala's V8, I'd be content with 275hp. Plus, the Buick looks classier and more expensive (as it should).

I'll take the Impala SS. :AH-HA_wink:

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Hell, I'm 19 (soon-to-be 20) and I'd take the Buick. It has the nicer interior and while the Northstar V8 in the Lucerne is less powerful than the Impala's V8, I'd be content with 275hp. Plus, the Buick looks classier and more expensive (as it should).

[post="68445"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree with you, I'm 18 and I like the Buick.

I do like the Impala as well, but I like the LTZ. (more lux in it)

I think that the Impala is better priced and good value overall, but if you could take the extra hit in the wallet... get the buick! :)

Well, I'm 31 and I've asked myself the same question (Imp SS or Lucerene). My answer - the Lucerne! While Buick may not be viewed as a young person's car, I think the Lucerne is going to change that perception. I think it has a great look about it, the rear seat area is great for adults and children alike, and the trunk is HUGE! The Imp SS is nice, as is the LTZ model, but I would go for the Lucerne myself. Plus the Lucerne CXS has both a sporty and luxury personality to it. So I say BUICK all the way :)

So... I take the chance of getting a G6 GTP is out of the question, then? :P

[post="68460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Considering that I have a '04 Malibu LT sedan, YES, the G6 is out of the question. One of the reasons I've looked to replace the 'bu is that with a car seat for the 5-month old, the rear seat offers little comfort (I had to put the car seat holder in the middle of the rear seat, otherwise the front seat would have to be moved up too close to the dash). The rear seat area of the Lucerne is humungous... right now with the SKY looming in the near future, I have to deal with the 'bu for maybe a year or more :o :angry: :(

Wouldnt the 5.3L get better highway mileage than the North*? i mean it is after all only running on 4 cyls.

[post="68919"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't buy a V-8 based on milage estimates. In real-life driving they'll be 5 to 10mpg lower than the V-6's.

Decide if you can swing the cost of gas based on a 20 to 30% differential. I haven't seen anything higher than "teens" in any of the real-life reviews.

Me, I'd go for the V8!!!!

I test drove a base Impala and can say it was darn impressive. It's 3500 felt livlier than my previous 3800 cars in similar sized W-body chassis'. Now Comparing the base Lucerne with the weaker 3800 and considerably higher weight I would think that the V6 Lucerne would be a dissapointment. So that makes the thirsty Nortstar a must for this car. My money would go on a LT3 3900 Impala with tan leather and roof for slightly less money than the LTZ version. For $27445 fully equipped and probably 25K with red tags or discounts this model ends where the base Lucerne starts and gives you better performance than either Lucerne, better mileage than the V8, more features than the base Lucerne such as leather seats/wheel, power driver seat recliner, 242 hp, full information center with compass/outside temp, rear spoiler, 17" rims etc. To get a Lucerne up to that level would cost a lot more and bring with it that thirsty V8 with never ending gas gouging. The Lucerne however is the more luxurious of the 2 vehicles and has a larger back seat. The Impala however trumps it in trunk space and doesn't have those intrusive hinges like the Lucerne. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a perspective... -Most of the older guys are saying be hip and get an Impala SS... -Most of the younger guys are saying "screw the image" and get the Buick - it's a better car. And both still present their positions as though they are exceptions to the rule. I'm starting to think that the Buick really is for the younger guys, it is starting to have a pretty hip image (have you ever driven a Buick around HS-College aged kids? I'm always getting comments on how cool my Regal is...it's the adults that give me crap about it being an old person's car). And cars like the Impala SS are more appealing to the older generations who remember the hayday or at least lived with the cars around for a while.

I bought a "base" 2004 Grand Prix GT shortly after my 30th birthday...back in 2003. I love my car!!! I'd say I still don't fit the demographic for that particular car (based on big-car image, price, etc). When I got the Pontiac, I traded in a 2002 Sentra SE-R, which was very much in line with my age...but I was tired of the firm ride, road noise, and engine hum at highway speeds. It was a soothing upgrade to the luxury-sport offered with the GP. I have rented two "base" Lacrosses in the last year - and I loved them both. Quiet, powerful, confortable, elegant. My friends thought the cars were way too conservative and laughed at me...even though they are kind about my GP. Edited by jlgolden

After seeing both in person, I have to say that the Lucerne just doesn't feel like a $40K luxury car, and that the Impala SS does a better job at being what it's supposed to be. Yes, it uses cheap materials, but at least it has its own character, unlike the heavily derivative, Buick Avalon.