The Miners In W.V.

Guest Josh

I can't help but feel bad for the families that are awaiting word on their loved ones. Having found one dead, it's truely sad, but to me keeps in mind the brotherhood of Unions. Not that this is a Union thread, but it's a family and hopefully the other 12 miners can come out ok.

I remember something like this happened in PA a few years ago and everyone was rescued without a problem. The miners had a problem with water, though. They broke through a wall and had a flood so they weren't dealing with explosions and dangerous gasses. When I first heard about this I thought everyone would end up in the same boat (fine) but it looks like all hope it lost. I grieve for the families.

My maternal grandfather was a coal miner back in Slovakia.... and a jack-of-all trades outdoorsman (hunting, fishing, hiking, etc.) & a part-time butcher. He's still alvive today but can't get around much since he broke his back all his life.

It's a very tragic incident... that's a brutal, difficult job..I couldn't imagine working underground like that. I grew up in a coal-mining area of Eastern Ohio and my family has a history in coal mining--my grandfather on my mother's side owned a company that owned mines in SE Kentucky, and two of his sons (now retired) worked in the business managing mines in KY.

I heard about this today at school... I just can't believe how they made the mistake of thinking 12 were alive when only one survived. Very sad, regardless. Poor families... Anyways, my family has a history in coal mining as does the actual town I live in, Ramsaytown. I know my great grandfathers were miners, one actually lived in the house I do. This town was started because of mining and most houses were built for miners. That was back about 200 years ago. Coal can literally be found everywhere... including my back yard, which also has a deep hole from mining. It's atleast 30 ft deep.

There is some amazing video of the families reacting over at cnn.com. Is it just me or should the media just run the most honest videos of people being themselves and not try to put a spin on it. Really affecting stories from these people, and really affecting moods are portrayed through just watching the whole video and not just snippets coupled with reactions, heartbreaking.