TCC: 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe Review

Variance

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
A most impressive full-size effort.
by Eric Peters (2006-01-02)

There's a lot riding on the '07 Tahoe-much more than just a new body and revised chassis.

GM badly needs for its popular full-size SUV (and its shared platform stablemates, the new '07 Caddy Escalade, GMC Yukon and the long-wheelbase Suburban) to hold the line against the burgeoning onslaught of large SUVs from Nissan (Armada) and Toyota (the coming '07 Tundra/Sequoia), some of which have already made significant incursions into territory that used to be the exclusive domain of U.S. automakers. GM can't afford to lose any more market share - most especially here, in the one area where it is still a dominant player. The Chevrolet Tahoe has been the best-selling large SUV since 2001 and alone accounts for 26 percent of the segment.

And so a lot of Deep Thought went into the '07 Tahoe - everything from objective things like performance/capability/driving dynamics and features/equipment (including an available Autoride active damping suspension, power flip and fold second row seats, 20-inch rims, and a DVD navigation system) to things much harder to pin down, subjective things like the feelings and thoughts it evokes when you first look at it.

Instead of me-tooing the Tonka machismo exemplified by the Nissan Armada and the new Jeep Commander, Chevy stylists gave the new Tahoe the look of confident authority. This is still a very large vehicle - and yet, not overpoweringly so. The wife won't fear it, but your buds will still be into it. It's a nicer, subtler counterpoint to the Armada and others that may be getting a bit over-the-top for some buyers.

You'll notice things like no more colored plastic body cladding. Even base LT Tahoes now get very attractive body-colored bumpers that are themselves snugged tighter to the fenders (just a couple millimeters of gap between the panels) than ever before. And you'll notice a wider stance, as the track of both the front and rear wheels is significantly wider than the outgoing Tahoe's, by three inches up front and one inch at the rear).

More than an illusion

It looks more planted and stable than the old model, and this impression is not just an illusion. The handling of the '07 Tahoe sets a new high-water mark for full-size SUVs. Credit the suspension here: all '07s get coil-over shocks riding in aluminum lower control arms (which reduce unsprung mass by 20 percent), a new rack-and-pinion power steering system that delivers easy turn-in and superb road feel, even at high speeds, and a revised five-link rear suspension along with a totally new boxed frame with 90-percent better torsional stiffness in the front section. It's one of the most un-trucky rides I have ever driven that still has very trucky toughness where it matters, including an even tougher hydroformed and fully boxed bolt-on steel frame.

Inside, there's an interior you simply will not believe until you open the door and see for yourself. If this truck is an indicator of GM's commitment to clawing its way back to the top, then it's time to load up on GM stock while it's cheap. It's stunning. It has the look and feel of an expensive high-end import, from the shape and materials used to create the elegant dash array to the aluminum door sill trim plates to the deliberate slightly concave sculpting of all the panels, including the driver and passenger seat backs, to give the occupants just that extra smidgen of room. Engineers even configured the seat tracks so that no matter how far up or back you slide them, there is no exposed hardware to ugly up the interior. Ditto the superbly designed second-row flip-and-fold seats - just touch a button and they roll up and out of the way to provide easy access to the third row. And you can still get buckets or bench seats for all rows, take your pick. The third-row seats can be folded flat, and the front seats can be almost fully reclined for side-of-the-road snoozing.

The use of new body structures, "quiet steel" laminates, revised door seals, and trick technology such the use of expanding acoustical foam to fill up internal body spaces as well as extensive wind-tunnel shaping (including seemingly minor things like getting rid of the lip on the fuel filler door and the elimination of the mast antenna) cut wind and road noise down substantially. Chevy engineers claim the '07 Tahoe is more slippery in term of its aerodynamic profile than a C4 Corvette. But you'll need to try one out at 75 mph to fully appreciate how far SUV design refinement has come.

Big guns

It's a great body, and the "guns" are definitely there, too. The Tahoe's engine lineup includes a revised 320-hp version of Chevy's 5.3 liter V-8 with standard cylinder deactivation technology that provides better fuel economy than a V-6-powered, mid-size Ford Explorer, Chevy claims, and almost 8000 pounds of towing capability on 4WD models. The Tahoe's new engine one-ups the former class-leading Armada (at 305 hp) on standard power and kicks its tail at the pump too, with a segment-best combined city/highway fuel efficiency rating of more than 21 mpg. (A smaller 4.8-liter V-8 will be available later in the calendar year and will become the standard engine in 2WD Tahoes.) The 5.3-liter V-8 is can be ordered with "flex fuel" E85 (ethanol) capability, too. Buyers can choose either a standard 3.73 axle or an optional 4.10 ratio for more low-end grunt.

The previous LS, LT, and LTZ trim lines will continue, with the off-road Z-71 package appearing later in the year. But features never before offered in a Tahoe make this truck a contender in almost any segment it feels like competing in. They include in-dash satellite navigation; real-time damping suspension; rain-sensing wipers; first- and second-row heated seats (and heated windshield washer fluid, too); power-articulating running boards; rearview camera; Ultrasonic Park Assist; and a rear-seat DVD entertainment system. Standard safety features now include stability control, and front, side impact, and curtain airbags with rollover-mitigation technology.

I have not been as impressed with a new GM vehicle in 15-plus years of covering the industry and test-driving new cars. This new Tahoe is a magnificent SUV. And with Chevy's initial quality and customer satisfaction scores on an upward trend (Chevy has actually beatenToyota here lately) there is nowhere to go but up. Here's to hoping GM has more of this kind of engineering and styling commitment in the works.

Pricing for the new Tahoe, which will be available in January, had not been revealed at the time of this writing. However, base MSRPs should fall close to the current 2006 Tahoe 2WD LS's MSRP of $34,115, with the price of a loaded 4WD LTZ somewhere in the mid-low $40,000 range.

2007 Chevy Tahoe
Base price: $35,000 (est.)
Engine: 5.3 liter V-8, 320 hp/340 lb-ft
Transmission: Four-speed automatic, rear-wheel-drive
Length x width x height: 202.2 x 79.0 x 77.0 in
Wheelbase: 116 in
Curb weight: 5233 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 16/22 mpg (2WD)
Safety equipment: Dual front, side impact and curtain airbags; anti-lock brakes and stability control
Major standard features: Air conditioning; three-row seating; OnStar; power windows, locks, and mirrors; electric rear defroster; 17-inch wheels
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles

Link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Re...S181.A9802.html

Thats some great news. It appears this Tahoe is a big hit with the mag editors, not to mention it looks fabulous. It's the perfect SUV. Now that it has an interior to match its rugged good looks, maybe it will be enough to stop the bleeding that GM is suffering from now. If this is a hint towards what cars from GM will be like (namely the new CTS) Im excited.

"I have not been as impressed with a new GM vehicle in 15-plus years of covering the industry and test-driving new cars." that includes CORVETTES my friends. "Inside, there's an interior you simply will not believe until you open the door and see for yourself. If this truck is an indicator of GM's commitment to clawing its way back to the top, then it's time to load up on GM stock while it's cheap. It's stunning. It has the look and feel of an expensive high-end import, from the shape and materials used to create the elegant dash array to the aluminum door sill trim plates to the deliberate slightly concave sculpting of all the panels, including the driver and passenger seat backs, to give the occupants just that extra smidgen of room" GM gets the last laugh. for now. let's see toyota match this. I'd love for them to take the trailblazer, reskin it and duplicate the tahoe interior. Edited by regfootball

I cant wait to see it at the Chicago auto show in February. It looks like a nice redo. Hopefully the truck and Suburban and Avalanche can have the same upgrades. Along with the engine upgrades to show the world that the Hemi and Titan motor arent the best thing to God.

Car and Driver wrote an equally glowing review in the Feb '06 issue. They also had to complain about something, and chose the plastic interior components that are expensive looking but hard to the touch....for all those people that buy a car to poke @ the interior panels. But it was a good article and good news for the Tahoe. Edited by mrfunji

Instead of me-tooing the Tonka machismo exemplified by the Nissan Armada and the new Jeep Commander, Chevy stylists gave the new Tahoe the look of confident authority. This is still a very large vehicle - and yet, not overpoweringly so. The wife won't fear it, but your buds will still be into it. It's a nicer, subtler counterpoint to the Armada and others that may be getting a bit over-the-top for some buyers.

[post="66787"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And that is where classic Chevy styling comes into its own. Unlike many other SUVs, GM's trucks don't date themselves and its fullsize SUVs and pickups from the mid-90s still look good today.

:P YES, this baby is HOT and Sharp, I like it's looks even better than the GMC or Escalade Version. I just hope I can get the Suburban with the Duramax and have all the pulling I need. :P Rock on GM!

Don't worry.  Some idiot will find a way to trash the new Tahoe even though it clearly is superior to all other SUVs in it's class.  They'll do it when the Tahoe hits showroom floors nationwide.  Just you wait and see.

[post="66817"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You mean like Honda & Driver or Toyota Trend! :rolleyes:

And that is where classic Chevy styling comes into its own. Unlike many other SUVs, GM's trucks don't date themselves and its fullsize SUVs and pickups from the mid-90s still look good today.

[post="66903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i was born in 68. Every version of Chevy pickup/truck I've grown up with still looks very tasteful and fresh to me. Chevy always does a nice restrained job with their trucks. I think Ford needs to watch out and the Dodge trucks look completely silly now these days.

"I have not been as impressed with a new GM vehicle in 15-plus years of covering the industry and test-driving new cars."

that includes CORVETTES my friends.

"Inside, there's an interior you simply will not believe until you open the door and see for yourself. If this truck is an indicator of GM's commitment to clawing its way back to the top, then it's time to load up on GM stock while it's cheap. It's stunning. It has the look and feel of an expensive high-end import, from the shape and materials used to create the elegant dash array to the aluminum door sill trim plates to the deliberate slightly concave sculpting of all the panels, including the driver and passenger seat backs, to give the occupants just that extra smidgen of room"

GM gets the last laugh.  for now.  let's see toyota match this.

I'd love for them to take the trailblazer, reskin it and duplicate the tahoe interior.

[post="66802"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've been waiting about 15 years myself for a review like this. There's no reason why they can't redo the Traiblazer's interior a la Tahoe for the 08 model year. Just cut and paste the Tahoe's interior and fit it to the smaller SUV's, the Equinox too.

We got 2 tahoes at my dealership today, and man are they nice. Only problem is we preloaded a set of 22" foose wheels and they look horrible. The front drive trac is wider than the rear and so the front tires hang out of the fenders. Hopefully the aftermarket wheel companies will fix that soon, cause mine is due this week :)

I've been waiting about 15 years myself for a review like this. There's no reason why they can't redo the Traiblazer's interior a la Tahoe for the 08 model year. Just cut and paste the Tahoe's interior and fit it to the smaller SUV's, the Equinox too.

[post="67196"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yeah, the equinox' interior is horrible. it could use a version of the tahoe theme.

I will admit I do not post that often on here although I enjoy this website's coverage of GM and other topics. On the other hand, news like this (the 2007 Tahoe) almost makes me want to cry for joy. There finally seems to me some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully the 2007 Tahoe marks the beginning of GM's journey to the top again. And whatever they learn from the 2007 Tahoe, maybe they can apply that knowledge to the Camaro if its produced. Edited by camaro