Looks Like the IS300's Totalled...

Bimmer325

My sister was rear-ended by an Eyewitness News truck late Friday night while merging onto a local highway. After the initial impact, the car was pushed sideways and eventually off the road completely. Thankfully, my sister is fine. Unfortunately, my car wasn't so lucky. The left rear quarter and entire driver's side underwent severe damage as a result of the initial impact. The suspension underwent minor to moderate damage and at least one of the right wheels was bent upon impact with the curb. Notable replacements will/would include both left taillamps, the gas tank, one or both of the right-side wheels, and the left-side mirror. I'm not sure if the driver's-side doors will be fixed or simply replaced. As a result of the Christmas holiday, our insurance company has yet to inspect the vehicle, so I'm not sure if it'll be declared totalled. Overall, the car's in pretty bad shape.

For reference, the car is an '01 Lexus IS300 in Graphite Gray Pearl. Mileage was relatively low for an '01, at 45,000 miles.

Here's the Kelley Blue Book Pricing Report
(Prior to the accident)

Suggested Retail Value: $20,310
Private Party Value: $16,700
Trade-in Value: $14,325

I'm aware that Lexus gets little respect around here, but I was in love with this car. Throughout the past five years of ownership, it's been literally trouble-free. It was still in great condition prior to the accident. I really don't know what to expect at this point. I'd really appreciate any guidance/opinions based on the above information in order to get a better idea of whether or not it'll be declared totalled. Thanks alot.

Bimmer

Ouch. Sorry to hear. The IS300 is an expensive car to fix, and with the damaged suspension, and I'm suspecting tweaked frame, this will be a costly repair, but I'm not sure that it would be totaled. ocnblu could give a better assessment. The IS300 does not get the respect that it deserves. It's a truly competent vehicle, and I certainly love mine. GGP is a beautiful color. It would probably be better that your car does get totaled because of the loss of value after it's repaired.

I'm so sorry Bimmer. Thankfully your sis is OK. Depending on the insurance company, they'll most likely declare it a total if the amount required to repair it is more than the wholesale (trade-in) value of the car. As cruel as this may sound, but if there's some significant damage to the rear suspension...especially if the points where the suspension mounts to the body sustain some damage, you probably would be better off with the total. It likely won't ride/handle the same, and your tire wear will definitely accelerate.

Near-'totals' don't always mean disaster. Speaking from experience, our 2000 SSEi was literally a thousand dollars from being totalled becasue of the catestrophic damage rendered to the transaxle (the left front wheel was the point of impact.) Intitial estimate at the time was ~$13,000 on a car then worth $14,000. When it was all wrapped up, the total cost - including follow-up repairs and problems that cropped up later - came to what I'd approximate as $16,000.

The car had about 55,000 miles on the clock and ended up with a zero-mile transmission, supercharger assembly, axles, suspension componants, electronic hardware, and rebuilt engine in addition to sheetmetal, glass, and interior repairs (amazingly, no frame damage whatsoever). All this guaranteed for life.

So, what to hope for depends on your intentions - if you're going to keep it 'till it dies, then you can come out of a major repair with alot of new parts with extended warranties unto themselves. If you're worried about resale, fuggedaboutit; its unsellable. Any dealer who even gives you a good deal on trade-in will junk it and that's something we couldn't bear considering our car still feels and looks brand-new.

I will assume if the car skidded laterally that there will definitely be alignment and drivetrain damage since the IS is rear-wheel drive. Of course, frame damage changes the entire scenario and in that case, the best may be to indeed have it totaled. I'm pretty sure it won't be quite the same after a frame-straightening. I know Ocn will find this and be of tremendously more help than likely most of the rest of us could be. I know he helped me get an idea of what to expect when my Olds was hit...twice...in the same two months.

Anyhow, I assume your sister is okay...if so, I'm glad to hear that. Oft-repeated here, but cars are replacable; people aren't.

Good luck and let us know what becomes.

I'm so sorry Bimmer. Thankfully your sis is OK. Depending on the insurance company, they'll most likely declare it a total if the amount required to repair it is more than the wholesale (trade-in) value of the car. As cruel as this may sound, but if there's some significant damage to the rear suspension...especially if the points where the suspension mounts to the body sustain some damage,  you probably would be better off with the total. It likely won't ride/handle the same, and your tire wear will definitely accelerate.

[post="64925"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, if there was frame damage especially, I'd pray for the car to be totalled. As Z28 said, it just won't feel the same anymore with a repair job.

Sorry about your car but at least nothing worse happened. Edited by VarianceJ30

cars totalled if you bent a wheel then mores bent and more often then not as they said the frame is tweaked really soory i love toyota/lexus myself cuz i drive a camry but then again a lot of that impact damage may have been key in your sister coming out okay

The IS is a great little car and one I've thought of owning from time to time. I'm sorry this had to happen. It's always bad when it's a car you've loved and treated you well. Look to the bright side, there might be one, and you may end up owning the newer version. My experience with my first car that was totalled was that I received more than the value of the car, by about 30%, which was completely unexpected obviously. I hope you share a similar experience.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. The IS300 is not a bad car. If I ever did buy a Lexus it would most certainly be an IS. the new IS is decent but the lack of an inline six is a major turnoff. I too hope for your sake the car is totalled. I'm of the opinion that a modern car with crumple zones is never the same after a bad hit. Keeping in mind your loss, if it is totalled what will you buy next? Will you consider a CTS?

I'm sorry to hear about that, and yes, I hope it's totalled, too. Our Passat went through ~$13K worth of repairs after a relatively "minor" front crash (airbags didn't deploy), and it's definitely not the same as before. The panel gaps are horrendous, the paint doesn't match, and the suspension squeaks.

Sorry to hear about the car, glad your sister's ok. I always liked the original IS.

Just from the bits of info you've shared, it sounds like quite a hit. You mentioned the gas tank. I'd be very surprised if the fuel tank is damaged because it should be ahead of the rear axle, well protected. I've had a lot of folks confuse their spare tire well with their gas tank.

Modern collision repair methods are better then ever... if you have a technician who is knowledgeable, and a painter who knows what they're doing. It all comes down to the shop, if the initial estimate for repair doesn't kill it outright.

If you care to post some, photos would help. I'll try to be of help, but I'd guess an estimate will be written by that time.

Best of luck with whatever happens.

I really appreciate the replies so far. Still no word on whether it'll be totalled or not, but pictures are on the way. Obviously, I'm in complete agreeance that the IS never got the respect it deserves. I've always said it's underrated. With everything you guys have told me in regards to the car's damage and possible long-term effects, I'm beginning to hope it's totalled. Either way, my sister is fine, and that really is all that matters. Thanks again for all the help. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my car's progress. Until then, have a safe New Year's Eve.