Am I The Only...

Cory Wolfe

I don't know.  They seem kind of overrated to me, like BMW's and Benz's.  I'd much rather have a Corvette.

[post="64522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You mean like Toyotas... I wouldn't consider BMWs to be overrated. I'm sure Nick could easily show you why... :D

Anyways, I just find them to be intriguing and definitely not overrated. There's something special about owning a Porsche. Much like Fieros, they're unique... different... First, there's the styling. It's pure beauty with most Porsches. Bold, yet classy. Muscular, yet sleek. Truly timeless, IMO. Then there's the performance. Flat-sixes, turbos, inline-fours, three different engine layouts, all wheel drive, air-cooling. Very interesting abilities. Finally there's the prestige... the german engineering. It's hard to explain, really...

I mean, a Chevy is just an ordinary Chevy. No matter what, a Corvette will always be a Chevy. They're not prestigious or out of the ordinary. They're sold along side Aveos, Cobalts, Malibus, etc. They're the poor man's sports car. A good one, at that. They don't have that presense... They're American. I'm not saying against it, just that there's something about not being made in your home country that is intrigueing in a way. That... exotic-ness, IDK, that the Corvette doesn't have.

So... who all originally thought I was a domestic/GM-humper? :lol: :P

Anyways, I just find them to be intriguing and definitely not overrated. There's something special about owning a Porsche. Much like Fieros, they're unique... different... First, there's the styling. It's pure beauty with most Porsches. Bold, yet classy. Muscular, yet sleek. Truly timeless, IMO. Then there's the performance. Flat-sixes, turbos, inline-fours, three different engine layouts, all wheel drive, air-cooling. Very interesting abilities. Finally there's the prestige... the german engineering. It's hard to explain, really...

[post="64565"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You say that, and then you see that the first few Porsche models borrowed heavily from the lowly VW Beetle. The 914 was a collaboration between Porsche and VW and then you have junk like the Cayenne.

The allure of German engineering probably meant something when German cars were built decently, too.

Yeah, Porsches are nice, but its give-and-take, like with any car.

I'm on the fence with Porsche. They look like a blast to drive, but damn, the money! I suppose if I caught wind of a cheap 944 being offered for sale I couldn't really say no, though. And the 928's got some neat headlights! :lol:

You say that, and then you see that the first few Porsche models borrowed heavily from the lowly VW Beetle. The 914 was a collaboration between Porsche and VW and then you have junk like the Cayenne.

The allure of German engineering probably meant something when German cars were built decently, too.

Yeah, Porsches are nice, but its give-and-take, like with any car.

[post="64569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course...

Porsche has had an amazing track record. I believe they are the king of road racing, I dont think any other manufacture comes close to the amount of victories. They sure have made the best of that one body style revamped in many tasteful touches over the years but that does give them the impression of being predictable. It was and is still a very nice body style....which explains its ability to last for 4 decades.

the 924 & 928 were a departure from everything Porsche and they did not continue on like the rear engined design and style did.

Heres a few other departures built for the track
63 904 GTS this thing weighed 1169 lb and kicked some serious butt
Posted Image

the infamous 550 Spyder the car the Boxter did modern retro of
Posted Image

65 906
Posted Image

the 73 917-30 an 1100 hp, twin turbo 5.4 litre flat 12, 238 mph demon that was pretty much solely responsible for race commitees to say woa, enough is enough, we need some regulations :lol:
Posted Image

this is the 75 911 turbo I mentioned earlier in the week, I believe designated 930 elsewhere or origionally. This is the car responsible for sparking my interest in sports cars when previously I was a Cuda, Camaro, Mustang, Roadrunner "kid"
Posted Image

porsches are cool...I especially like 944 turbos. There is a guy around the neighborhood with this really nice black 944 tuebo with these gold BBS rims with a polished lip and it looks gorgeous...Though the thing is, I see porsches every day. Around here they tend to be more common than Toyotas (well, maybe thats a bit exaggerated). They are very badass cars, don't get me wrong. Not only are they some of the best performing cars in the world, but they are of some of the highest quality as well. I just feel apathetic if I see one, unless of course it is a version other than just a regular 911...

I love Porsche. 911 first, then Boxster... but the Cayman is coming up fast on the outside, and may become my favorite in about 15 seconds... :)

The Cayenne is a waste, but I can understand why they did it, I guess. Instant profits to put more R&D cash into future sports cars (hope so.) Edited by ocnblu

I don't know, some Porsches seem overly boring to me, like the all the base 911's, 928's, 914's and the original Boxster.

However, I do like the new Boxster, the new 911, and I always thought the 996 Turbos were very pretty.

But the ones that reall get me going--and this is rare for a Porsche--are the Carrera GT, the new Cayman, and the new 997 Turbos (I've seen spypics, they're HAWT)

however on the flipside, I cannot STAND 944's. They are the essence of everything I ever wanted to hate about a Porsche, but never had a reason to: They're butt-ugly, slow, unreliable, and always, always ALWAYS driven by complete assholes, many of whom ironically labor under the delusion that their car is fast.
(and then run home crying when a little Cobalt smokes them at a stoplight.)

The Cayenne, as I've said before and will continue to say in the future, is a pretty machine. It's pretty, it's fast, and it's incredibly capable offroad.
However it is not a true Porsche, I will never call it a Porsche, and the fact that it is a "Porsche" SUV makes it an abomination. The badge on the nose means nothing to me because it isn't a sports car.
I have very bipolar feelings about this vehicle. Can you tell?

although, while I must say I do like Porsches, I'd take ANY Ferrari first. Edited by Turbojett

For the most part, the 944's weren't all that fast. The best year to get would have to be 88 and the turbo S would give you a 0-60 of 5.5...Same goes with the 87 928 S4. I like the looks of the 944 much better, and the 944 is still a great handling car as it was one of the best handling cars of its day. (Wasn't it in a comparison with the C4 at the time or something?)

I don't know.  They seem kind of overrated to me, like BMW's and Benz's.  I'd much rather have a Corvette.

[post="64522"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree they are overated. I would like to own a RUF yellow bird tho.

however on the flipside, I cannot STAND 944's. They are the essence of everything I ever wanted to hate about a Porsche, but never had a reason to: They're butt-ugly, slow, unreliable, and always, always ALWAYS driven by complete assholes, many of whom ironically labor under the delusion that their car is fast.
(and then run home crying when a little Cobalt smokes them at a stoplight.)

[post="64609"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well... you do realize how many different cars that could have been? I mean... there's the 924 (2.0L - 110hp), 924 S (2.5L), 931/932 924 Turbo (T 2.0L - 170hp), 937/938 924 Carrera GT (HT 2.0L - 210hp), 944 (2.5L), 951 944 Turbo (T 2.5L - 220hp), 944S (2.5L) 944 Turbo S (HT 2.5L - 250hp), 944 (2.7L), 944 S2 (3.0L 208hp), 968 (3.0L 236hp), 968 Turbo S (T 3.0L 305hp), and the 968 Club Sport (3.0L 236hp). Going by specs, there are very few that a Cobalt, like yours, could beat. Those are: 924, 924 S, 944, and 944 S. The rest... unless you have an SS, which you don't, will be faster. An SS SC would put up a good fight for most, while a few would be faster.

I never really cared for Porsche. I know they are great handling, fast cars, but their styling never did anything for me. Theres only one Porsche that I think looks good, and I dont even know the name of it. 996 Maybe? I'm not sure. I would rather have a Corvette, or even a BMW instead of a Porsche.

omg, I can't believe I forgot about the 968. I never cared for the design of the 928, I always like the 944, and the 968 seemed to be the happy medium design wise with performance exceeding both the 944 and 928...'twas a very cool car.

For the most part, the 944's weren't all that fast. The best year to get would have to be 88 and the turbo S would give you a 0-60 of 5.5...Same goes with the 87 928 S4. I like the looks of the 944 much better, and the 944 is still a great handling car as it was one of the best handling cars of its day. (Wasn't it in a comparison with the C4 at the time or something?)

[post="64742"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

they were fast for that size car/engine of its time.

The comparison I remember was R&T I think, because thats the only magazine I would read. It was 84 Corvette, 928 Porsche & Ferrari 308 GTB. The Corvette got 1.0g on skid pad and they were all enthoused, if I remember it was the first road car to achieve the 1 lateral G. The Ferrari got very poor milage, Corvette was least expensive, thats all I remember, the others excelled at something but I cant remember, probably breaking. Im a little annoyed now, I burnt up my magazine collection in mid 90's after keeping them for 10-15 years. I had the first Fiero reports, the C4, they used to cover a classic sports car every month, now I wish I had them again. Oh well. Edited by razoredge

Well... you do realize how many different cars that could have been? I mean... there's the 924 (2.0L - 110hp), 924 S (2.5L), 931/932 924 Turbo (T 2.0L - 170hp), 937/938 924 Carrera GT (HT 2.0L - 210hp), 944 (2.5L), 951 944 Turbo (T 2.5L - 220hp), 944S (2.5L) 944 Turbo S (HT 2.5L - 250hp), 944 (2.7L), 944 S2 (3.0L 208hp), 968 (3.0L 236hp), 968 Turbo S (T 3.0L 305hp), and the 968 Club Sport (3.0L 236hp). Going by specs, there are very few that a Cobalt, like yours, could beat. Those are: 924, 924 S, 944, and 944 S. The rest... unless you have an SS, which you don't, will be faster. An SS SC would put up a good fight for most, while a few would be faster.

[post="64753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

swear to God, it was a regular 944. he kept on cutting me off and then going slow. when I try to overtake him, he gets over infront of me because he doesn;t want me in front of him. I get over two lanes and gun it, he guns it too trying to keep up, but I edged him out fairly easily.
he answers with a middle finger salute.