Car & Driver tests the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe!

VetteZ06

I got my C&D yesterday and read the article, they certainly had a lot of good things to say about it. Two of the "lows" were poor fuel economy and "it weighs almost 3 tons." Both of those were BS because they admitted they drove it like they were drag racing and any big SUV weighs almost 3 tons. So really, the only things wrong with it were that it had the 4-speed auto still and the back seat is too small. People who need a real back seat will go for a Suburban, but the 4-speed is certainly a letdown.

OMG!  12MPG?  GM lied about the fuel economy of these trucks!  I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

[post="64329"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please tell me you aren't being serious. You can't have missed this quote:

One obvious culprit for our poor fuel economy is our staff's desire to emulate drag racer Don "The Snake" Prudhomme. A less obvious culprit is the optional remote start that allows the key-fob possessor to start the engine from a distance. It's a valuable feature against bitter weather--the car can be warmed in the driveway while you're waiting for that Pop-Tart to cool off--but using it means that you're burning fuel and not going anywhere. We used it, a lot.

Driving a car hard can *easily* account for the difference in gas mileage - let alone letting the vehicle idle excessively. My Ecotec-powered Malibu has delivered anywhere from 28mpg-36mpg depending on how agressively I drive it. Even if GM did inflate the gas mileage figures (and I HIGHLY doubt that they did, GM has historically trended towards conservative ratings on everything from gas mileage to horsepower), it wouldn't excuse the numerous and ridiculous Toyota exaggerations: horsepower rating w/o engine accerories, measuring ground clearance from the ground-to-door sill (as opposed to ground-to-frame), or removing rear seats when measuring interior volume. Edited by cmattson

OMG!  12MPG?  GM lied about the fuel economy of these trucks!  I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :rolleyes:

OMG! GM doesn't market the Tahoe primarily as a fuel-efficient economy 'green' vehicle that will single-handedly Save The Earth? I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

[post="64411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Guys, sciguy_0504 is trying to be sarcastic. Lets all calm down...

It's a very good, positive article, and the pictures also make the vehicle look good. Whenever it arrives for the smaller engines, the six-speed automatic should help acceleration and mileage. When that comes out, I'll be interested in a GMT900.

OMG!  GM doesn't market the Tahoe primarily as a fuel-efficient economy 'green' vehicle that will single-handedly Save The Earth?  I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

[post="64411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Guys, sciguy_0504 is trying to be sarcastic. Lets all calm down...

[post="64441"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes... sarcastic, but I'm not impressed by that comment. Sorry... it irks me. Edited by blackviper8891

As an owner of a current-gen '04 Suburban, definately does sound like they fixed most of what is "not so good" in these trucks: -Awful, spongey to the floor brake pedal feel -Sloppy steering with way too much messy slack on center -Basic and horrid quality interior -Body/frame solidity, which isn't so bad, but definately is not in the same league as some newer competitors like the Expedition or Durango...ours tends to shutter a bit over some bumps, and has been in for rattle repair a couple times And what they didn't (yet, at least): -Not so great 4L60E with its sometimes sloppy shifts and lack of another 1 or 2 gears...which REALLY kills the power down, and is the main reason why the new engine power probably wasn't noticeable... So, the steering, braking, solidity, and interior improvements definately should make these trucks more attractive once again, but things like the pathetic 4-speed and "lug-out" 3rd rows will still keep some away. Regardless, sounds nice, and the newfound solidity and refinement would still get us back to a Chevy/GMC dealer for a look at least. Edited by caddycruiser

Seriously now, the Tahoe is the best of the GMT900's. The best styling, best interior for the buck. Yet, you can go even further and say it's the best large SUV out there because it truely is, 4-speed auto and 12MPG or not. You can expect advertising from GM like that, balthazar, when the hybrid GMT900s come. Edit: spelling. Edited by sciguy_0504

In the hands of the public? Do you mean press or buying public (like me)? The GM website doesn't even list an MSRP for it yet. And yes, I wish they would just put the 6 speed into the thing. Interesting comment about the 50% increase in body stiffness. I hope that same stiffness increase is found in the GMT900 pickup frame (I'm sure it will be). I have had the same shuttering problem with my 04 1500 2wd Ext. Cab as was noted by one of the other posts relating to the Tahoe. It just feels like when going over large bumps the thing bends in the middle.

6-speed autos across the board. Shut the critics up before they start complaining too much. Tahoes are already in the hands of the public in Michigan. I'm seeing more and more everyday.

[post="67390"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Buying public. There are far too many on the road for them to be in the hands of the press or GM employees. I have not seen any at the dealers but that doesn't mean as soon as they come in they are off the lot. I usually look for a small sticker on the driver side which is stuck on the inside of the windshield, that indicates it is property of GM. So far I have not seen these stickers. So who is driving all of these? Does anyone have some input, elighten me.