Concept - Chrysler Imperial

BrewSwillis

Concept - Chrysler Imperial

It's from the new Motor Trend.
For everyone who will say that they just copied a Rolls Royce....some guys pointed out that it resembles the 1951 Chrysler Imperial. http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1951/Brad/index.htm

[post="64308"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, that's such a crock. Clearly trying to be the budget Rolls-Royce.

Reminds me alot of the '90-something Imperial that was really a New Yorker in pseudo-luxury guise.

I guess DCX can't keep the ball rolling? Is this thing actually going to be produced to fit above the 300 or is it just a concept? The local Chrysler dealer has a 4-door convertible 300. I guess they have it there for show? Looks pretty cool, though I've seen it before.

Actually, 300s are said to resemble Bentleys... but yes, the Imperial does appear to look like a Rolls. My guess is that since Maybach didn't succeed, they'll try to compete with Rolls using Chrysler :P j/k It will be interesting to see more of this concept car... and to see if it makes it to production.

Guest YellowJacket894
Oh my... That's a block of steel with wheels. Seriously, that is ugly. No elegance to it whatsoever.

Chrysler, if you plan on selling that, good luck. You're going to need it and then some. Edited by anorexorcist

Looks to me like Chrysler decided to skip the hard part and just display their concepts in clay model form. Roller comparisons be damned... to me, the front of this thing looks like a big Semi truck. Colour it red, and I could see that facia right at home on some future generation of the Dodge Ram. Also: am I the only one who thinks this Imperial looks kinda... short? In that picture, it looks like it is about the same length as the 300; I expected it to be noticably bigger.

Yuck. It's almost as if the boss of DCX went "Ve have got too mekk another American car and ve shall call it ze Imperial" and then proceeded to order this thing. Reminds me of when Top Gear complained that a MINI concept was designed (by parent BMW) to be "quintessentially British" by fitting a tea set. If a US company ever got hold of a German brand, I'd give it "a navigation system that only goes to Poland". Edited by empowah

Looks great from the side but Chrysler has got to get over this grill fetish they have going, that is just beastly and not in a good way. So much more could be done with both the 300 & this car in the front facia. SOmetimes less is more and this is a fine example of when a bit of restraint would go along way. That said I would love to see a new Imperial on the market and I hope they go forward with an Imperial. We had a 89 Nyer and hit a dear with it, I replaced the headerpanel & bumper with the more edgy aero Imperial header, it was a one of a kinder :lol: We loved the car and drove it for 3 years.

The overall look is okay, IMO. I like it better than the 300. If they want to convince people that this isn't a blatant Rolls rippoff, and prove that it's a design from the Imperial's past, they'd better a nice big picture like the one in the magazine plastered in every showroom. The suicide doors are COOL. My major concern is that it looks to much like a reskinned 300. they should have made the car larger, with a slightly bigger front overhang, and a more than slightly larger rear overhang to put some distance between it and the 300C. That said, if the production stays true to the concept, DCX has another hit on their hands.

The 'proposed' Imperial is based on a lengthened LY (Next generation LX) platform stretched around 6" according to rumors. This could extend the number of models based of the LX/LY platform to 5.... The styling is love it of hate it - which has recently been a big hit with buyers who are tired of the 'appliances' that the Japanese have been selling - if you don't like it don't buy it... Just my $.02

This new Imperial Concept seems to pick up design cues from these two past Chrysler concepts (as does the 300, from the Chronos to a lessor degree):

Chrysler Chronos

Chrysler Atlantic

I looks as if they had applied those design cues to the current 300, and came up with something that resembles a RR or Bently. Even if you hate the car, you can't deny that it was inspired by past Chrysler vehicles.

The styling is love it of hate it - which has recently been a big hit with buyers who are tired of the 'appliances' that the Japanese have been selling - if you don't like it don't buy it...

[post="64685"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I understand that and appreciate that aspect with the regular 300. My source of disappointment is that from these admittedly bad photos that it isn't that much of a development beyond what's out now. A six-inch stretch with the same basic lines and greenhouse is IMO unimpressive and very short of what Chrysler could do. It just seems like they're falling into old habits of simply clipping on a new nose and tail, jazzing up the interior, and calling it an Imperial, something done as recently as 1990-93 with the Chrysler Imperial, interestingly a 5-inch stretch of the then-mainstay New Yorker sedan. That car, IMO again, was a fine car given Chrysler's financial situation at the time, but today...

This new Imperial Concept seems to pick up design cues from these two past Chrysler concepts (as does the 300, from the Chronos to a lessor degree):

Chrysler Chronos

Chrysler Atlantic

I looks as if they had applied those design cues to the current 300, and came up with something that resembles a RR or Bently.  Even if you hate the car, you can't deny that it was inspired by past Chrysler vehicles.

[post="64688"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just wish they had produced something more akin to the Chronos, Atlantic (which was considered for production), early 1990s Chrysler 300 concept, Phaeton (not to be confused with the Volkswagen production car), and a number of other Chrysler concepts...including the original Chrysler LX.

This "Imperial" is too much of a derivative design of non-Chrysler products for my tastes.

I understand that and appreciate that aspect with the regular 300. My source of disappointment is that from these admittedly bad photos that it isn't that much of a development beyond what's out now. A six-inch stretch with the same basic lines and greenhouse is IMO unimpressive and very short of what Chrysler could do. It just seems like they're falling into old habits of simply clipping on a new nose and tail, jazzing up the interior, and calling it an Imperial, something done as recently as 1990-93 with the Chrysler Imperial, interestingly a 5-inch stretch of the then-mainstay New Yorker sedan. That car, IMO again, was a fine car given Chrysler's financial situation at the time, but today...

[post="64690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The potential of having 5 different cars coming down the same assembly line outwieghs the modest increase in link of 6 inches in my mind - Being able to produce such varied cars of the same line makes them that much more impressive. This isn't the difference between a Tahoo and a Yukon this is the difference between a Challenger (2dr), a 300/Charger (4dr), a Magnum (4dr wagon) and an Imperial (Stretched 4dr)

If GM has an assembly that is that varied I sure don't know about it

Better magazine scans:
(I think the back end is one you'll have to see in person)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/ef0n...se/File0110.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/ef0ne/File0105.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/ef0n...se/File0109.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/ef0n...iytrcvbnk65.jpg

[post="65290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GAaaaH! @ that front end! Tail end is unique.

Yeah I'm surprised that was unveiled in Motor Trend first and not online-saw it last night-great issue. That Imperial sucks-what's wrong with Mopar design? First the awkward Caliber, then the sleek, but too-retro Challenger concept, and now this worse, cheapened interpretation of the Rolls-Royce Phantom, which if anyone should be imitating, should be Lincoln. In fact, it looked so much like the Phantom, I thought it WAS one, but with a custom grille and the Chrysler wing logo. Anyone remember the 1998 Chronos concept? Morph that with the 2003 Airflite concept-that would be the ideal Imperial, and then separate it as a brand and go after Cadillac CTS/STS/SRX, Infiniti G35/M35/45 and FX35/45, etc. Thank God its not some awful, wrong-time, boxy K-Car-my grandpa had a 1991 model of that disgrace of a car. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

If GM has an assembly that is that varied I sure don't know about it

You besides any of the pickup plants that might build three or four wheelbases, three body styles, two brands, three drivetrains, six engines, and I don't have a grasp on how many transmission variations?

Too many styling cues crowded into too small of a space. The stubbiness just doesn't get it done. Of course, in person, it may work a bit better. Based on the dimensions posted in the Motor Trend article, the thing is as tall as a 2wd pickup truck.

Looks WAY too much like a Rolls from the front. This reminds me of somthing a Chinese car company would do. Blatently steal other people's ideas. Don't get me wrong, the 300
was inspired by Bently but did not look exactly like a Bently. This car (especially from the front) is ALL Rolls!

[post="65656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The designers for the 300 where not inspired by Bentley they were inspired by previous 300s. People only think it looks like a Bentley because I suppose they think big grill equals Bentley. I always thought that was odd. This car has some elements that remind me of a Rolls-Royce but is that really a bad thing? Just think, they could have picked up cues that reminded us of Subaru or Toyota. Blech.

I LOVE the 300, the Charger, and the Magnum...but this thing is gross. Looks like a Korean attempt to "make a cheap Bentley/Rolls". You know, about a 95% carbon copy as far as looks, but the missing 5% just being enough to make it awkward. I could see them doing an Imperial, but not like this--too much of a blatant, ugly ripoff. Copy a lot of an ACTUAL old Imperial, and then you might have something... Edited by caddycruiser

From Allpar:

<huff, huff, huff> This just in: "...123-inch wheelbase (three-inch stretch over 300C). To achieve the proper proportions for the concept, the overall length grows 17 inches to 214inches, and the overall height is six inches taller than a 300C. The car rides on massive 22-inch turbine-finned wheels and tires, with passengers sitting nearly seven inches higher than in the 300C.
"Envisioned as a 'noble' yet attainable flagship positioned a cut above the 300C ('its a six-figure image but at a much lower price,' Says Tremont), the concept ... doesn't mimic Imperials of the past, but it does draw on some of the styling cues from those older cars. from the 1953 d'Elegance to the Firepower! that premiered at last year's Detroit show.
"Among the design details incorporated into the concept: the long flowing hood and front end dominated by an upright radiator and stong horizontal grille; brushed and plished aluminum pods that evoke free-standing headlamps of Imperials from the
1930s and the 1960s; circular LED tailights with floating outer rings that bring back the 'gun sight" tailight look of the early 1960s Imperials; and a roofline pulled rearward to enlarge the cabin and create a strong profile.

Other things mentioned in the latest Autoweek article is that no expense what spared as it used leather, suede, California burl wood accents and satin-finished aluminum. There is a handcrafted intrument panel with large dual gauges, covered ceiling, and floating oval armrests in the doors, all bathed in warm light. The generous amount of sound deadening makes for a quiet, 5.7ltr, 340hp, 390lb-ft Hemi-powered ride. The engine is linked to a five-speed transmission lifted from the Mercedes E-Class.

"The car is for somebody who has made it, who takes great pleasure in driving from place to place," says Creed.

The photos provided by Autoweek (pretty much the same as whats been posted here) show just how large this car is when put into perspective (22-in wheels, etc). And with the "hints" of Chrysler's past in the details (I can see the Firepower's rear quarter sculping and door molding and 1930's d'Elegance's hoodshape), the car does indeed look beautiful. And the hood treatment does a good job at hiding the height of the car.

I didn't even think to look to the Firepower! concept for similar design cues, but they are evident.

Looks like a Korean attempt to "make a cheap Bentley/Rolls".  You know, about a 95% carbon copy as far as looks, but the missing 5% just being enough to make it awkward.

[post="65811"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Never thought of it that way. You can add a Chinese copy, too.

I saw the article.  I think the front end is too short.  Overall, a disappointment.

[post="64604"][/post]

yes.

too short, too tall to stubby and too... fat.

Here's some Imperials they should look at before goign back to the drawing board.(keep the suicide doors)

1970 :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No likey: like Sixty8 said: too tall, too stubby. Very little grace. I give the exterior (based on these pics) a 2 on a 1-10 scale. But there are definate Imperial cues: that's the '62 grille up front. Rolls' designs are built starting around their archaic grille... and this one looks nothing like the rolls. Suicide doors are a keeper, but start from Square 1 on the rest. Get the damned thing longer and lower: in the dark it'd be confused with a cube van! I'd also like to see a modern version of the Southhampton stainless roof- that'd be A-1 unique!!

I dont like it much. It needs to be LONGER. Whats rong with american automakers scared to have a lenghty car? They should've used the wheelbase length of the earlier Imperials or use something close to the Audi's A8 wheelbase. The headlights Im not too crazy about, the grille needs help (I like big grilles but it needs work) its too tall and the rear is rather odd. The wheels need bigger spokes becuz if it were to be produced with those wheels, it'd b a pain to clean them. I love suicide doors and mad no one produces them. I think brown would be a nice color for it if it was more elegant. What did I learn from this? If wanting to make a bigger car: a) either make a totally new chassis or stretch an existing one more than a few inches, B) when designing a big grille, add some flair to it, and c) NEVER make a car the height of a small truck. The 300 I like, and the grille is actually from the original 300C just turned upside down.

I said they were going to do this at Chrysler eventually and they were thinking about bringing an Imperial back. No one believed me. Look what happened. Love or hate it, they have GM beat on several accounts: Several cars on the same platform that are rear drive and use V6's and V8's. What do we have?? This car now makes the Lincoln Town Car really outdated. Ford can no longer rest on Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car any longer. This is a wake up call for both Ford and GM. Chrysler figured it out. Give the people what they want at an affordable price and they will come. Give Americans American cars. I will give Ford credit for getting it right with a Camry fighter(Fusion and Milan) I hope GM will finally see and give us some rear drive cars on the same platform for several divisions. Chrysler has a Mustang Challenger(oops! pun there) Chrysler has a Lincoln Town Car challenger Chrysler has a Grand Marquis challenger Would have been nice if Sixteen was in production at a cheaper price. GM has... well...... 3 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE sedans with V8's and a Holden Monaro. Love or hate the styling, it does not try to appeal to everyone or be everything to everybody. You know what it is looking at it too. **** in good time.. in good time :CG_all: with the return.

"It needs to be LONGER. Whats rong with american automakers scared to have a lenghty car? They should've used the wheelbase length of the earlier Imperials or use something close to the Audi's A8 wheelbase." The long wheelbase A8 is 121 in. and its overall length is 204 in . If the specs we have so far are correct, the Imperial, at 123 in wheelbase and overall length of 214 in. has it beat. Personally, I like it alot. I've wondered for a long time why no one has produced a 'tall' luxury car. One of the nice things about minivans is that they are so easy to get in and out of because it sits so high up. Luxury cars don't necessarily need to have the handling of a sports car, they just need to give a confident feel when driving and turning corners. For the people who would most likely buy this type of car, I think a well proportioned, tall vehicle would be perfect. At first, I thought it looked too much like a Rolls also, but not so much anymore. I can definitely see bits of the old Imperials in the design. I'm very anxious to see the actual interior. I hope it is as elegant looking as the outside.