1982 sedan w/ diesel inline six...

Sixty8panther

check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Nissan...1QQcmdZViewItem

If only it were 2000 miles closer and the price $300 (like my '84) versus $3000. I'd buy it and make a beater out of it... run it on vegetable oil (bio-fuel) and then hold on to it for a spare car/parts car. :P

Man, you used to be cool. You used to have two Cadillacs and a 1968 Camaro registered and on the road. Now you leave the good shit at your house to rot away to nothing in the front yard as you dream of turning the rest of it into Farmer Sly's Datsun Ranch. Thank God my Coupe Deville's there to un-gay the place a little bit. *sigh* I suppose the little Datsun that could IS pretty fun to beat the bag out of when it snows..... not that your girlfriend ever really lets you do it *whip crack* :P

check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Nissan...1QQcmdZViewItem
If only it were 2000 miles closer and the price $300 (like my '84) versus $3000. I'd buy it and make a beater out of it... run it on vegetable oil (bio-fuel) and then hold on to it for a spare car/parts car. :P

[post="64168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I remember driving one of those. Not bad for a non-turbocharged diesel. But like GM's diesels of that era, the Nissan inline-six diesel was based on their inline-six gas engine...from the 810 (Maxima) and 280ZX. Edited by Hudson

Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot, BMW (in applications other than Lincolns), Volvo...

[post="64221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have a friend with an '83 M-B 300SD with over 400,000 miles... runs well, looks great. Those W126 S-classes (gas or diesel) will run forever with proper maintainance...they were very solidly built cars (back when M-B overengineered everything, or so it seemed).

Yeah, Sixty8, I'm not getting this Datsun craze, based on your other auto interests. I could see you getting into 4-cyls if it was something unique like a Corvair... hell, I could even see you in a Fiero before this thing. I don't get it.

Um....Corvairs had six-cylinder engines.

Um....Corvairs had six-cylinder engines.

[post="64266"][/post]

So does this Datsun..... as does mine. :AH-HA_wink:

Check it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As far as you XP715... you need to get that '71 Boat tail so you stop PMSing. :P

Yea, I dont get this boxy riceroni thing either but its Sly so Ill let him live another day :lol: That engine sure looks like a L26 or 28 to me ? What say you Sly ? Back 2o+ years ago I have a love affair for those SOHC L engines. I had a 71-2-or 3 PU which I really wish I could have kept with the L16, then a latter style with the L18 and of course the 710 2dr had the L20B which was quite hot for its day. Still and all we should not be driving riceroni around this place anymore ! :angry: at least get a 240, 260 or 280Z for cryin out loud, that is excusable riceroni. In fact its prime rice :lol: buff the dents out of the Volvo and put that on the road B) Ya know I was involved in a roll over(not driving) in a late 70's or early 80's ???? 210 ???? A real cheap pile of gutless crap but we did not get hurt, no seat belts :blink: . I was surprised my girlfriends mother bought it, it was the car she replaced the 710 with and gave the 710 to my girlfriend. Compared to that 210 or whatever the hell it was the 710 was a Maserati. Her father was drivng the then "new" 626.

So does this Datsun..... as does mine.  :AH-HA_wink:

Yes...but that was part of the whole topic. I thought everyone knew that a topic with "inline six" in it would assume that.

The problem was...

...I could see you getting into 4-cyls if it was something unique like a Corvair...

...which seems to connect four-cylinder engines and Corvairs.

Not to beat a dead horse but you show me ONE other car I could have bought used for $300 and driven 14,XXX miles with barely any maintenance that has all these features:

- Compact dimensions (for extra discomfort, the good fuel economy is a necessary evil)
- RWD
- IRS (with POSI)
- Smooth as silk Inline Six with electronic fuel injection
- 4-door
- Fo'teen inch alloys... (I gots to keep up with the pimps)
- Manual 5-speed
- Front and rear disk brakes
- "Super Sound System" (8-speakers from the factory w/ cassette thank you very much)
- Super-cushy soft fabric seats remeniscent of a Delta 88s except in bucket format
- rotating map light
- friendly female voice to remind you things like "parking brake on" & "fuel level is low"
- stand up hood ornament
- Tilt steering column
- Quarts Digital Clock! :P

I do get a pretty big kick out of your Datsun's voice module :lol:

KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!
KEY! Is in the ignition!

Hudson: right... understood. Just reinforcing the point that in fact this car is cool because it's a compact car with RWD and an inline six. Other than oddballs like the Lexus IS it seems BMW is the only one who still believes in this layout. That's why my Datsun is a "Poor Man's BMW" from 1984. Althogh since it cost $12,094 back then it was not exactly cheap. My 1983 Firebird (w/ 305, T-tops & auto) cost just over $12,000 in '83. :) Yellow Dart: "You seem like a v8-or-nothing kind of guy" Absolutely. At one point I had four cars all with V8s and could barelly afford to fill up ONE tank on pay day. :P I still think the V8 is the coolest engine going dollar-for-dollar. SCB Bay-bee! It's just for the sake of practicality and variety a little RWD shitbox is fun, and the 22-ish real world fuel economy is a good excuse. Besides the GM sourced POwer steering pump makes it like 1.3% GM. Now if I could only convince Marcia to get rid of that hight milage STS and buy a nice low milage Park Ave. She thinks they're way too "old" for her. Plus she's got issues with giving up her 300 HP. Edited by Sixty8panther

Hudson:

right... understood. Just reinforcing the point that in fact this car is cool because it's a compact car with RWD and an inline six.

Other than oddballs like the Lexus IS it seems BMW is the only one who still believes in this layout. That's why my Datsun is a "Poor Man's BMW" from 1984. Althogh since it cost $12,094 back then it was not exactly cheap. My 1983 Firebird (w/ 305, T-tops & auto) cost just over $12,000 in '83.

Don't forget the Toyota Cressida, Volvo 960, and Mercedes-Benz 190/C-Class! Okay....so the Toyota and Volvo models no longer exist and the C-Class no longer has an inline-six...but they DID exist.

I'm thinking about trading in the STS on something newer or atleast with less milage. The STS is in my name but the G/F drives it 80% of the time. A pre-Ford Volvo wouldn't be the worst thing in the world aside from the fact that I really want to buy GM. Marcia's mom bought a gently used white '98 Volvo 960 about a year ago. If all else fails and we can't find her a decent STS, Bonneville, Deville, Caprice Classic, Fleetwood or watever then the Volvo would still be better than a few cars she's suggested. If it was up to me I'd be replacing the STS with a B-body... preferebly a baby-blue Roadmaster sedan with a steel roof. Marcia thinks it's way too conservative and fuddy-duddy for her. <_<

Don't forget the Toyota Cressida, Volvo 960, and Mercedes-Benz 190/C-Class! Okay....so the Toyota and Volvo models no longer exist and the C-Class no longer has an inline-six...but they DID exist.

[post="64680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh and three things:

1. I'm not a fan of Toyota, although a Cressida is a semi-decent excuse to buy one.

2. The Volvo & Mercedes are not readily available for $300 in excellent condition just because of a lost title.

3. Vocalized Warning System: Zero-for-3. B) :lol:

P.S. If the modern day Cressida (Avalon) was RWD I'd stil think it was an UGLY blob of a car.

I looked at a Diesel Benz a few months ago. It was only $800 O.B.O., I went to take a look at it and it ran fine but the bodywork was pretty sloppy and it had nearly 1/4 million miles so I decided to pass. It was a big vanilla colored '1987 300SDL with a nice interior but the outside had more bondo than a '1975 Corolla. It would have been sweet to convert taht thing to run off bio-fuel... driving down the street smelling like a Wendy's fryalator.