My son's other friend got lucky...

A Horse With No Name

I was just tellind Oldsmoboio about a neat old Toronado that lives in a garage not far from where I live. Right on the street where the olds lives, lives my son Joel's friend Lucas.

Lucas just got a Mercedees 230 Kompressor (think I've got that right) as a 16th birthday present. New.

Wish I was that lucky when I was sixteen....

Chris

a neat old Toronado that lives in a garage

:lol: IT'S ALIVE! Funny, as if it's a person.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about sexual rite of passage into adulthood, but, ok, I guess the kid IS lucky. I was happy as a clam to get access to a Cutlass Supreme!

As bad as it sounds I'd rather have a 72 Hurst Olds Pace car replica than the 'benz. Probably cheaper also.

Methinks the boys have had a sexual rite of passage awhile ago, probably more worried about wheels now.

Chris

wow... what happened to beat up jeeps, saturns, and k cars?

When I was in high school, the new cars kids got ranged from Mustang GTs, Mustang LX 5.0s, Camaro IROC-Zs, Firebird Trans Ams/GTAs, a Buick Grand National, Cutlass Supremes, Monte Carlo SSes, to more prosaic Cavaliers, Daytonas, Corollas, and Civics. Circa '86-88. In my senior class, probably 60% of the kids got a new car during senior year or one they had got during junior year. (it was a small high school in a Florida resort and fishing town). I got my Mustang GT between junior and senior year, an early graduation present. The most outrageous car, though, was the kid with the new bright red Merc 560SEC AMG. He and his dad were in the 'import-export' business. Found at out at my 10 yr reunion that they were doing time in a federal prison for their business. He did show up at the 20 yr reunion, had been out of prison a couple years, back in town.

Alas, a few of those new cars got totalled during senior year, incl. two Mustang GTs and the Grand National...kids and 'high' power cars often don't go well together( well, they were powerful for the mid '80s).

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I remember buying my 69 Plymouth Satellite when I was 15 and trying to get it to run by the time i was 16. There was one person that had a 73 corvette. No one ever got a new car unless they were borrowing it since there car was broke.

the dr.'s kids had new cars. one of my buddy's older brother had a 5.0 mustang coupe. that was the baddest car in the parking lot at the time. no one messed with it. a guy a grade ahead of me got a 69 ss camaro for his birthday his senior year. red on black automatic. took car of it... for about a month. by the time he graduated 6 months later he had hit a group of trash cans and messed up a fender, and also shut the garage door on the hood cause the idiot didnt realize he was too far forward. after that tool left it was between me and an underclassman buddy of mine for the coolest car. my 69 impala or 1990 ss454 and his 1970 buick GS. it had a 350 but the oil pump seized and cooked the motor. swapped in a 455 .60 and that thing was a beast. there was also a 69 opel GT and an indy 500 3rd gen camaro.