Trans Siberian Orchestra

razoredge

Thanks Ven! Just wanted to clarify for those that dont know - Actually it is mostly Classical and classicly imposed Metal. Not much Rock in there at all, rock is actually Blues and Country based. That stuff is heavily influenced by old European classics, some of it is reproductions or I guess you could call it "covered" classical. They did one old one tonight that was writtin by a Monk Classically influenced Metal should never be confused with "Rock", sorry thats from a musicians prospective.

Good stuff... local stations pley them every so often. I'd love to see them in concert. :D

Thanks Ven!

Classically influenced Metal should never be confused with "Rock", sorry thats from a musicians prospective.

[post="63705"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's alright... you're correct, but most people I know wouldn't go near them if I classified them as Metal. To give them a less biased chance, I've been saying Rock... :)

I've only ever heard their version of Carol of the Bells, I think. I liked it a lot. It's wierd how you can mix rock and classical together like that and it comes out great.

[post="63895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Like Razor said, metal is heavily influenced by classical music. And great composition can sound good on any instrument.

That's alright... you're correct, but most people I know wouldn't go near them if I classified them as Metal. To give them a less biased chance, I've been saying Rock...  :)

[post="63889"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh I got ya :AH-HA_wink:

I noticed some people did leave after an hour or so :lol:. They must have been throwoff by the "Orchestra" or perhaps heard a few of the popular Christmas classics and didnt understand. Still and all there was an amazing mix of people in the crowd and on stage, and it was a very loud and involved crowd but there is a larger demographic of "rockers" now, more every decade, I myself forget how old I am and still rock and roll. So many of the younger people there must have looked at me as an old fart :lol:

Frogger - Trans Siberian was spawned from Savatage, amongst of the first heavy metal bands from the early 80's. There is a big difference between "Pop" metal which is your "big hair" bands and "Heavy" Metal. Your "big" hair bands were like Poison and Motley Crew where they sang about girls, sex and partying every song after song after song and got mainstream air play. Your Metal bands got more into social and political issues and while they had long hair, they did not have "big" hair. They were/are serious musicians and spend more than 5 minutes writting the next song. Anyhow Savatage did an album in 95 , Dead Winters Dead, which was about a Christmas in war devastated Sarajevo. This is an opera of sorts. In this recording they used excerpts from Mozart and Beethoven and much orchestration.....this was the beginning of what became the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

As for "cheesy" and "80's style" guitar solos, Ill have to let that go on account the ignorance and clueless factor. Go put on you favorite Backstreetboys CD :lol: Edited by razoredge

I've only ever heard their version of Carol of the Bells, I think. I liked it a lot. It's wierd how you can mix rock and classical together like that and it comes out great.

Yes, yes it is....

And, actually, I think the Christmas song that is played most often is their version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" ... at least, that's what it sounds like to me.... I don't believe I've heard their version of Carol Of the Bells.

Another great group (imho) for the "odd" music ... is Mainheim Steamrollers. My aunt has had their Christmas CD for years...and I love listening to it.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I'll be with you" ... Cheap Trick ... 'The Flame'

Yes, yes it is....

And, actually, I think the Christmas song that is played most often is their version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" ... at least, that's what it sounds like to me....  I don't believe I've heard their version of Carol Of the Bells.

Another great group (imho) for the "odd" music ... is Mainheim Steamrollers.  My aunt has had their Christmas CD for years...and I love listening to it.....
Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I'll be with you" ... Cheap Trick ... 'The Flame'

[post="64105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

actually, you probably heard Carol of the bells. Their version as a lot of musical reference to "God rest ye merry gentlemen."

actually, you probably heard Carol of the bells. Their version as a lot of musical reference to "God rest ye merry gentlemen."

Hmmm.... If I did hear Carol of the Bells, then "a lot of musical reference to 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen'" is a severe understatement. The beginning, middle and end of it sounded exactly like God Rest Ye, nothing like Carol Of The Bells....

*shrugs*

Probably the most-often played Trans-Siberian Orchestra song on rock radio is "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24," which had a video out (on MTV) before the full album ("Christmas Eve and Other Stories," my favorite of their discs) went on sale. It does feature bars from "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."