The Stalk

Flybrian

No.  You're missing my point.  You can turn off cruise with The Stalk and just not have the memory that "cancel" would provide.  My question is, is it that much effort to go up to 60 or whatever yourself and then turn cruise back on?  Why is the memory "cancel" feature necessary?  Seems like a lazy-ass thing to me...

[post="64310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You don't even have to do that. You just disengage the cruise by hitting the brake. As long as you don't turn the cruise off, it'll keep the speed you were cruising at. When you want to get back to that speed, you just hit "Resume". Ever CC-equipped car I've driven (with and without The Stalk) has worked this way, and a "cancel" feature would be redundant.

You don't even have to do that. You just disengage the cruise by hitting the brake. As long as you don't turn the cruise off, it'll keep the speed you were cruising at. When you want to get back to that speed, you just hit "Resume". Ever CC-equipped car I've driven (with and without The Stalk) has worked this way, and a "cancel" feature would be redundant.

[post="64334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What he said. All cruise-equipped cars I've driven also have that 'memory.' The only way to really disengage cruise would be to turn turn it OFF.

You barely have to breath on the brake pedal to disengage cruise, if a copper can see your lights its to late anyhow. I think GM has done a great job at keeping everything neatly packaged, extra levers is just that, you have extra levers to do the same thing I can with one.....you loose ! Ha ! I never had a problem with the light switch being on the dash ???? Its certainly never been a reach, its right there. LSS has heat/fan and volumn/program on wheel. The old Regal had an interesting feature on wheel in addition to volumn and channels, that was a on/off for radio which I miss, but no heater controls........still, none of the above made me feel like crrryin. VW's, Toyotas, Datsuns, old American cars with cruise switch on dash.....none of them made me feel like crrrryin. I still like and miss aircraft quality toggle switches that snap with authority at the flip of a finger. No push, no pull, no twist, no rocker, just flick that old switch and SNAP.....all business. Floor mounted dip switches still rule

I still like and miss aircraft quality toggle switches that snap with authority at the flip of a finger. No push, no pull, no twist, no rocker, just flick that old switch and SNAP.....all business.

[post="64451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The new MINI has it... to disengage the traction control. :rolleyes: The windows, too.

[post="64334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hitting the brake lights up your brake lights when you really don't want that cop closing in on you to see you tap your brake lights......

PLUS.....how come GM STILL refuses to give us a "cancel" function for our cruise control?

[post="63785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My 1992 Century has an "off" position for the cruise control... that's entirely the same as a cancel control if you ask me. You don't want the cruise control anymore, shut it off by switching it to off, or tap your brakes.

Hitting the brake lights up your brake lights when you really don't want that cop closing in on you to see you tap your brake lights......

[post="64484"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I haven't read all of the replies here, but I have to assume your GM stalk in the Corvette functions similarly to my GM stalk on the Park Avenue, and it has a "Coast" feature that allows you to slow down without hitting/tapping the brakes:

* The Park Avenue's Cruise Control stalk has a switch with "OFF - ON - A/S"

* Turn Cruise Control "ON" by placing the switch into the "ON" position

* Set and lock the Cruise Control speed

* When you want to coast/decelerate then press (and hold) the button at the end of the Cruise Control Stalk until you reach the speed desired, then release the button (this is Coast)

The Button at the end of the Cruise Control stalk functions identically to the A/S (Accelerate/Set) on the switch. Press and release the A/S and your speed increases 1 mile, or you can press and hold the A/S until you reach your desired speed. Same with the Coast button at the end of the stalk. Press the button and release, you'll decelerate 1 mile. Press and hold, and you'll coast until you slow down to your desired speed.

This "Coast" feature should keep you from the need to hit the brakes and should suffice in the absence of a "Cancel" feature. I use the Coast/Accelerate feature regularly and it takes all of one pointer finger to operate while my left hand remains on the steering wheel. Admittedly, I'm 6'2" and my fingers/hands are longer than many.

Hope this can help.

Actually, it is one of my favorite features.  "Flash-to-Pass" is what it is technically called, and GM needs it across the lineup.

[post="64306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, they don't, 'cause its pointless. Just hold down your turn signal for an entire four seconds and also its not called that; 'flash-to-pass' is the ability to pull the signal stalk back to activate (flash) your hi-beams to indicate to the driver ahead of you your intention to pass him.

No, they don't, 'cause its pointless. Just hold down your turn signal for an entire four seconds and also its not called that; 'flash-to-pass' is the ability to pull the signal stalk back to activate (flash) your hi-beams to indicate to the driver ahead of you your intention to pass him.

[post="64577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

GM already has it in the C6 and the new GMT900s, though there are indents if you want them.

OC - to heck with them if they cant take a joke. Really I wouldnt worry about it, ever notice everyone hits the brakes when they see a cop? I think they are used to it. Even the people that are driving 5 mph under and have never drivin above 50 mph their entire lives ? lol Cops just make people freak, at least around here. Everytime there is a cop around, next thing you know everyone is driving like 45 mph and still slowing down. Who uses directionals for lane change on interstates ? lol, put her in the left lane and send it. It does sound like a nice feature though, the four or five flashes. Ive been use to the light touch like Fly mentioned for like 3 decades so it doesnt stress me.......not nearly as much as 4 spoke steering wheels....that there is no getting used to !

I used the cruise control on the Silverado for the first time yesterday, and the placement of the controls on the stalk is fine. I do understand tanner's complaint of not having a cancel feature. I do most of my long distance driving in my Honda, and it does not have a cancel feature. I normally end up turning the cruise off rather than using the brakes to cancel. I also do the decel and accel thing with the buttons. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have a cancel feature like my Lexus has.