Washing your car in the winter

the_yellow_dart

Is there any way to safely wash your car in the winter? I washed my car (05 Cobalt) the other day and then parked at a bar. (no I don't drink and drive) I came out a few hours later and had a lot of trouble getting the car moving out of the spot. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out the parking brake was frozen on. The lever went down, but one of the wheels was stopped and sliding around on the ice in the parking lot. Had to have it towed to a GM garage, where they fixed it as a "warranty issue". So the question that comes from all this is: Is there any safe way to wash your car in the winter and not freeze things like the doors and parking brakes?

I live in an apartment building. I have to go to commercial car washes.

[post="62400"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The best thing to do it wash it and take a good drive, the water will not stay in the bad areas after a nice drive. Oh, I hardly use the parking brake in the winter anyhow, living in NL where the days melt and the nights freeze it causes the parking brake to freeze on. Alberta is a different issue.. (except this year for some reason)

Thanks for the good advice, Cremazie. Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice in using the parking brake or not, since it is a manual and I don't want it crank-walking into a wall.

[post="62419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I drive a standard too, I just kepp it in 1st or reverse. Unless it is a steep incline the car shouldn't intice the crank.

By living in Arizona. I havent had that problem yet, and its about 70 outside right now.

[post="62385"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Smartass! :lol:

Cermazie nailed it. Wash Before your commute or a nice long drive just for fun.

Smartass!  :lol:
Cermazie nailed it. Wash Before your commute or a nice long drive just for fun.

[post="62444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

haha i live in so cal... so i wash my car whenever i want...

its 76* outside... and... I'll get her washed and waxed in a few days... wow shes got such a good coat of paint on her... i've had her for 2 months, and she's probably been waxed 10 times already :blink:

sooo smooth!

I made the brilliant decision to wash my car a few weeks ago, that night went down to -9 degrees and didn't get up to the positives untill noon the next day. When I had to leave for work at 7:30am the door wouldn't open, I even tried pouring some water on it to thaw it out but it still didn't help so I had to use my dad's car for half the day and when I came home for lunch, my car door opened with a bit of force.

If you have to use the parking brake and it freezes like this again, drive it in reverse. The shoes energize differently in forward then reverse. When moving forward the primary shoe then through rotational force also pushes the secondary shoe out. In other words, the brakes work better in drive then reverse. So drive backwards and warm things up a bit and hopefully they'll release. If the water got into the cable though, it probably won't work. I used to have to do this with my CRX.

Hmmm....let's try this again, shall we? I posted already, or rather, tried to...and got "page cannot be displayed"....ah, well.....

With the "balmy" (above freezing) temperatures tonight, I took my '87 MC LS to a touchless car wash, figuring some clean was better than no clean. I then took it for a nice, long drive :).

I don't have a garage for it right now (it is the daily driver), so I have to rely on temperatures getting above freezing for a day or 2 in a row before I can get it cleaned during the winter months ... so, like tonight, I take advantage of the time I have.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"I should've drove all night" ... BonJovi ... 'Misunderstood'

It was gawjus here yesterday, about 57 degrees and sunny. A perfect day for a Lowe's contractor to install a new front door on my house (it looks great too, I'm happy).

It's supposed to be another great day today... I should take the truck to my favorite local car wash and clean him up, but I have to start Christmas shopping sometime.

I want to wash the car here today, it's so nice out... just -10.. hot water may do the trick lol

[post="63037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh gosh...arent you hung over? Or even still drunk that early? :lol:

Do you remember talking to me last night? Edited by CD/BP

Is there any way to safely wash your car in the winter?

I washed my car (05 Cobalt) the other day and then parked at a bar. (no I don't drink and drive) I came out a few hours later and had a lot of trouble getting the car moving out of the spot. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out the parking brake was frozen on. The lever went down, but one of the wheels was stopped and sliding around on the ice in the parking lot. Had to have it towed to a GM garage, where they fixed it as a "warranty issue".

So the question that comes from all this is: Is there any safe way to wash your car in the winter and not freeze things like the doors and parking brakes?

[post="62375"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's wierd....'cause driving from the car wash to the bar should have warmed up the brake enough (through use while driving and braking) that it should have been a non-issue....

I've never had that happen all the years I lived in cold climates....and I'm TOTALLY OCD about washing my cars...even in the winter..

Sounds like you had an unrelated problem with your parking brake....

It was gawjus here yesterday, about 57 degrees and sunny.  A perfect day for a Lowe's contractor to install a new front door on my house (it looks great too, I'm happy).

It's supposed to be another great day today... I should take the truck to my favorite local car wash and clean him up, but I have to start Christmas shopping sometime.

[post="63036"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

57?!?!? :o In PA?!?!?!? ...Damn, it's warmer today, but it's only like 40-45 on this corner of PA...

As for washing cars in winter... IDK, my car doesn't deserve to be washed, so... :P Edited by blackviper8891