Horespower: 210 @ 5500 r.p.m.
Torque: 221 lbs.-ft. @ 2500 r.p.m.
ABS Brakes: Standard
Side Curtain Airbags: Standard
EPA Fuel: 23/34 m.p.g. city/highway
Towing Capability: No
Off-Road Capability: No
Bicycle Transport: Yes

The Saab 9-3 Sport Combi is a mid-sized sport wagon based on the same platform as Saab’s compact sedan. The newest Saab wagon comes with a choice of two engines: the base turbocharged four cylinder, or an all-new 250-horsepower V6.

For fans of the old Saab 9-3 Viggen five-door, the Sport Combi offers a similar approach to performance and versatility. Both the base an upscale Aero models are spirited road cars, with road-hugging suspensions and the ability to pull hard off the line.

Gone, thankfully, is the Viggen’s tendency to understeer, thanks to a new rear axle suspension geometry. As a result, the average driver can push the Sport Combi at speed and in turns, without worrying about losing control.

The four-cylinder version won our 2006 Active Lifestyle Vehicle of the Year award in the best value, on-road category. We loved the Sport Combi for its peppy, turbocharged performance, responsive steering, and just-right cargo area that easily holds a bike with the second-row seats folded flat. The classic Scandinavian design is attractive and timeless: exceptional interior ergonomics make the Sport Combi a comfortable ride for passengers of all sizes.

Great Ride on Twisting, Two-Lane Roads

We tested the the four-cylinder, turbocharged base model with the five-speed automatic transmission. In addition to its appealing sticker price (beginning at about $27,000), the four-banger gets exceptional fuel economy: 28 m.p.g. average city/highway. The turbocharger pumps extra air into the engine during hard acceleration to make better power without using more gas. Turbocharging also helps the engine to compensate for altitude, maintaining good performance at elevations up to 8,000 feet. Because the engine is running more efficiently, it also emits fewer bad emissions into the exhaust stream.

The two-lane roads through the canyons around Borrego Springs, California provided the perfect setting for putting the Sport Combi through its paces. A rear roof spoiler kept the wagon tracking flat at all speeds, while minimal aerodynamic drag enhanced gas mileage.

The Sport Combi features Saab’s proprietary ReAxs suspension: the dynamics of the rear axle are tuned to give the wheels better grip in the corners and resist the tendency of the front-wheel drive car to understeer. The system works by turning the rear wheels slightly in the opposite direction of the front wheels. As a result, a driver can push the Sport Combi to its limits without worrying about a loss of steering control.

A four-wheel independent suspension comes standard, and a low-mounted rack-and-pinion steering rack provides a positive on-center feel when driving at speed. Antilock braking, traction control, and brake assist are standard active safety features.

Ergonomic Interior

The driver and front passenger seats are well adapted to drivers of all sizes, with good lumbar support, and a standard whiplash protection system that minimizes the risk of injury in rear-impact collisions. The instrument panel is configured to make it easy for the drive and front passenger to reach both the audio and dual-zone climate controls. The on-board computer automatically turns off warning lights when the driver’s workload is high: determined by heavy braking or use of the signal indicators. The idea is to minimize any driver distraction that could cause an accident. There is also a dimmer that turns down the instrument panel lights at night to reduce driver fatigue.

The upholstery takes its cues from Scandinavian furniture: both the light (parchment) and dark (gray) color schemes give the interior a spacious, airy feeling. All models are available with a choice of three audio systems and a DVD-based satellite navigation system.

The 60/40 split second-row seats are easy to fold flat, creating a long, functional cargo space. A standard tonneau cover hides the cargo fry prying eyes. Cargo nets hold grocery bags or other small items to keep them from spilling out onto the cargo floor. An airplane-shaped handle in the middle lifts up the rear of the cargo floor to reveal a second storage area under the floor with dividers to hold small items in place. Roof rails are standard on all models.

Solid Structure Focuses on Safety

A special team of engineers investigate all traffic accidents in Sweden that involve Saabs. As a result, Saab has a database of over six thousand real-life collisions. Product planners use that information to design software for safety engineering.

While the 9-3 Sport Combi is similar to the sedan from the B-pillars forward, the rear of the car is all-new. Engineers reinforced the rear C and D pillars with transverse beams in the floor and roof for loss of the sedan cross-bracing. The central passenger area has a high percentage of high-strength and ultra high-strength steel, to create a rigid body structure without adding weight. The ignition switch is located in the center console, away from the knees, so that it cannot cause an injury if the legs hit the steering column during a collision.

True Saab Through and Through

A lot has been written recently about the impact of shared General Motors platforms on the Saab brand. The 9-3 Sport Combi is a unique vehicle, designed and built in Sweden. Long-time Saab aficionados will appreciate its peppy performance, user-friendly interior and Scandinavian design. Newcomers with love the Sport Combi for its fun ride, class-leading safety, and cargo-friendly interior.

Saab’s new sport wagon is a practical car for urban dwellers, with exceptional maneuverability and fuel economy. It also excels on twisting two-lane roads. It has an exceptionally high level of standard active and passive safety features. Although it is a relatively small vehicle, the Sport Combi can hold a lot of cargo, including camping equipment, bicycles, kayaks, skis, and other essential gear for people with active lifestyles. We love the Saab 9-3 Sport Combi because it does all of these things seamlessly, and for a price within the limits of many new car buyers.

The Saab 9-3 Sport Combi begins rolling into dealerships in January of 2006.

-Kaylan Marie

We got the first one into our dealership about a month ago... we put the European tail lights on (clear not red like U.S. spec ones) and it looks awesome.... i dont know why it says jan 06... we all got them WAY before that! =)

>>"The instrument panel is configured to make it easy for the drive and front passenger to reach both the audio and dual-zone climate controls."<<
Meaning: they're both in the center of the dash, right?

>>"There is also a dimmer that turns down the instrument panel lights at night to reduce driver fatigue."<<
Dear God, hasn't every vehicle had this since about 1960?

>>"The on-board computer automatically turns off warning lights when the driver’s workload is high: determined by heavy braking or use of the signal indicators. "<<
This I am puzzled by: why is driving a saab with warning lights on so commonplace? Isn't the idea of a warning light to prompt timely servicing? Explain.

>>"The instrument panel is configured to make it easy for the drive and front passenger to reach both the audio and dual-zone climate controls."<<
Meaning: they're both in the center of the dash, right?

>>"There is also a dimmer that turns down the instrument panel lights at night to reduce driver fatigue."<<
Dear God, hasn't every vehicle had this since about 1960?

>>"The on-board computer automatically turns off warning lights when the driver’s workload is high: determined by heavy braking or use of the signal indicators. "<<
This I am puzzled by: why is driving a saab with warning lights on so commonplace? Isn't the idea of a warning light to prompt timely servicing? Explain.

[post="62349"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1. The controls are placed where they are very easy to get to and understand.

2. The SAAB dimmer is different in the fact that a person can turn off all of the Cabin lights except for the speedometer. I drove a SAAB from my dealership for a while and thought this was just a gimmick option. After using it for several night drives, it makes a much more soothing experience. With all the SAAB lights on, the cabin looks like an airplane cockpit, which is pretty cool in my book, but at times a person just want's a speedometer.

3. The warning lights turn off during a heavy driver workload because it coaxes you to look at the road instead of the warning panel. A heavy workload usualy indicates the driver is in an accident evasive maneuver, where all eyes should e on the road.

The dealership where I work has had SAAB for about 3 years now. At first I thought all of these features were a joke, but after driveing them around for a whie, I came to find out that these SAAB engineers were pretty smart. This SportCombi is no acception, and I hope they continue to use SAAB to make SAAB's and not make more 97x's or 92x's. They don't even have to be built in Sweden, they just have to make sure they keep the engineering, design, and research in Sweden (which is a whole other topic).

yeah people that test drive a saab normally buy one... alot of statistics on that one! people just LOVE the way they drive. I know i sure do! And my speedo dims with all the other dash lights... they turn completely off... if i turn them off and my headlights off at night i cant see shit! Its fun when im following someone infront of me... and i also have no idea how fast im going.... only bad thing is that i cant see what RPM i am at... so i just have to feel what gear i should be in -Kaylan Marie

yeah people that test drive a saab normally buy one... alot of statistics on that one! people just LOVE the way they drive. I know i sure do!

And my speedo dims with all the other dash lights... they turn completely off... if i turn them off and my headlights off at night i cant see shit! Its fun when im following someone infront of me... and i also have no idea how fast im going.... only bad thing is that i cant see what RPM i am at... so i just have to feel what gear i should be in

-Kaylan Marie

[post="63836"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are so right about when you drive a Saab.....you suddenly get it....I love them now that I have driven them...the 9-3 is so nice.

I dont think Kaylan was very acurate with her wording... the way the black panel or "night panel" as it may be labeled shuts off all un necesary lighting in the cabin. You are cruising on the HWY with this function enabled and all you see is the spedometer lit up. All other instruments are actualy not even on. (if you flash a light at the tach, it will be on the "0" mark allong with all the other gauges). If you are reaching near the bottom of your gas tank, the fuel gauge will light up and come back to life. Basicaly, it only lights up what is absolutely necesary and keeps other things out of your sight.... quite neat to see only 3/4's of the spedometer lit up and woop, when you hit 140 km/h, the rest of the gauge lights up! Edited by TurboRush