Corvair Info please?

TurboRush

Ok, so I'm browsing Ebay for ideas on a classic car restoration...

So far, I'm looking at

'66-'70 Eldorado (top of list)
Chevy Biscayne
Olds 442 or holiday coupe

Also, the Corvair caught my eye once I looked at pics of the engine...... how is it mounted? I cant seem to make sense of how the engine sits or how it is configured.... all I see is a pulley right in the middle with the shaft runing into the floor.... it seems like the engine is under the floor???

I also found one on Ebay that is Turbocharged????? did anyone know they made those?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chevrolet-Corvair-Turbo...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah; without checking I am pretty certain the turbo was available '62-66. I believe Chevrolet built on the order of 9,xxx turbo 'vairs. Engine is quite low in a very low car; I'm thinking it's noticalby lower than in a flat-6 porsche tho I haven't seen them side-by-side. I haven't seen the mounting per say, tho I believe those are pans as opposed to structural 'flooring' that you see.

It is a rear mounted engine so the engine is behind the rear axle. So the engine could not be under the floor. The van, wagon, and pickup variants will have a 'floor' of sorts over the engine with vents along side the engine.

If you want something really rare and unique try to find a side ramp pickup they are really cool little trucks.

http://www.oldcars.com/car1425.html

Some great engine pics
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...corvair&spell=1
Should give you an idea of the how and where the engine is mounted. Also notice the flat six is used in aircraft also. There are some great examples in those pictures.

This is in the trunk of the corvair corsa turbo:

Posted Image

notice how the cylinders are under the floor pan. The belts from alternator and accesories are seen getting twisted into a horizontal pulley that ataches to the engine crankshaft.

You can see the turbo up in the corner feeding 2 intake pipes for each bank of cylinders.

I sawe a great site yesterday that I cant seem to find today that has pics of removing a Corvair's engine and they have to remove it from bellow. It doesnt come through the trunk opening.

Well several other people beat me to it. But yes a Turbocharged Turbo was available and I've see a couple of them at car shows. I'm a big fan of the 2nd gen. cars as I prefer the styling more refined chassis & suspension. It was proven after the Corvair got the axe that it was no more and no less safe than any other car fo the era. Deaths per capita were ezactly average. The engine is rear mounted in the traditional sense and just like an old school Porsche/VW/Tatra pancake enigne is air cooled, and mounted about lower than the gas tank on my '68 Camaro. This of course aids the center of gravity but the quirky handeling asociated wiht Porsche 911s is there. Very twitchy cars if you drive like a dumbass and try to turn onna dime. SO yes hypothetically if you're driving 70mph in a 25 mph zone in the back roads of a suburban town then YOU might loose control of the car... as with ANY other car. Try expaining 2+2 to Nader, say what you will but he'll still insist it's 3.999 and not 4. :P The 67-70 Razorback Eldorado is a tough find and is relatively rare compared to the typical Camaro or Biscayne. The 442 is a great car any year any powerplant. Either way good luck. :)

BTW: here's the Corvair (four door hardtop 66) that I almost bought this past summer.

Posted Image

I remember reading the topic about that...........  is it still there? you should pick it up!

[post="60940"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not a week goes by that I don't think about it. I really liked that little thing. Had I gotten asking price for my Fleetwood Brougham I might have bought it this fall but money is tight and space is getting tight.

Once the STS is out of my hair and I sell the Camaro I may pick up the Corvair if it's still there and just have fun with it untill I find the '59 Buick I want. :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh---------The CORVAIR one of my (ALL TIME FAVORATES!!) Even the second gen SEDAN looks GOOD! And those COUPES OH-OH-BABY!! B) If they were WOMEN I would be in ((((LOVE!!))) I still am-----but-----in a DIFFERENT WAY!------ :) ------YA KNOW? :P