New Impala Squad Car

HarleyEarl

Someone was selling pics of this a while ago on eBay, before the civilian version was even released.

[post="59994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I bet they got $0.25 for them too. :rolleyes: Sorry I'm still not liking those bulbous wasp-eye headlights.

The new Impala looks great in person! The squad car version looks pretty good, but few fleets will have the American flag on it. I want to see what they look like with "Carmel Police Dept." on them. My only complaint is that i gotta get used to a new headlight shape in my rearview mirror and in oncoming traffic.

Not nearly as scary as a Charger squad car, and that's not necessarily a good thing, imo.

It will be interesting to read the test results on police vehicles this year... Crown Vic 4.6L, Impala 3.9L (what, no 5.3? bah) and Charger 5.7L.

Crown Vic will be the best 'utility' crusier, Charger perhaps the best pursuit car, and an 3.9-powered Impala the obvious best 'city' squad car.

Really, the choices today are almost better than ever. Rather than choosing between a boxy, heavy, fuel-sucking V8 tank and a whale-like, heavy, fuel-sucking V8 tank, police agencies can now select a mixture of cars that fit their needs. I'm pretty confident the new V6 Impala will be sought after for its fuel efficiency by larger departments - do you really need a high-performance V8 to sit at a construction site?

Locally, the Florida Highway Patrol uses 2000+ Impys as auxillary cars while the Pinellas Sheriff's Office mixes them with a few last-gen Intrepids and the rest of the Vics.

Remember when they used Dodge Diplomats and at night you could see them coming to slow down. You knew it was a cop too because no one bought Diplomats for personal cars . It was much easier then now you are gonna say is that an Accord or a cop Impala. The Charger might give it up easier but this won't .

Well, it's definately a fairly dopey looking ride, but that's not very important when it comes to the purpose it serves. On the other hand, one issue that remains is the FWD. Regardless of the amount of beefing up and toughening they do, I've read different accounts of police departments trying a newer Impala out, only to jump one too many curbs or drive a little too aggressively and have something go wrong with the FWD parts while their old Crown Vics are still going strong without a flinch. The last few years of Caprice 9C1 cars are still one of the most coveted used car buys to this day because they were both extremely tough and awesome road performers. These newer Impalas are definately more efficient and crisper to drive, but still missing that "something" that can be necessary for true success as a patrol car.

Curb hopping durability has very little to do with FWD v. RWD.  I DO know the Impala is the squad car of choice here in Indiana.

[post="60479"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's true, but I only meant to phrase that as one example. It just seems that the general consensus is that they're generally nicer to drive, but just not as simple, beat it to the death tough as something like a Crown Vic. Where we live in DE, Crown Vics are the ONLY thing they use, but when we went back to our hometown in western PA over Thanksgiving, I noticed they now had a pretty even split of Impalas and Crown Vics.

Actually, strange as it might be, several years ago when we still lived in PA, the town cops had just bought a couple new '98 Lumina 9C1's, one of the cops was driving one around and stopped at Burger King for lunch. While he was sitting in the car eating, with it idling, something spontaneously caught on fire, lightly burning the dash and part of the hood. I don't remember what it was, but it was an interesting story nonetheless, especially since the cars were only a few days old.

Luminas aren't Impalas.  I've actually heard the opposite trend, that PDs are switching to Impalas, though that might have to do with the Impala not exploding into flames like CVs do.

[post="60494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Never meant to say that. Just giving some personal observations.

The CV's are antique and not the best to drive, but they still serve a great purpose. But, when you come right down to it, you'd be hard pressed to find a newer Impala that did a 100k stint in police use, then went on to be a taxi for another 300k with very little mechanical work...that's one area where the Ford panther cars (and the last GM B&D bodies) still excel. Edited by caddycruiser

Here's what our Bears use Impalas for...
Posted Image

CSOs are non-sworn officers who respond to non-emergency highway calls, disabled vehicles on the highway, and as runners between Troops. Very reasonable vehicle selection for the duty.

And just for folks like Z...
Posted Image
I do love seeing these...well...in most circumstances. These were acquired in 2002 brand-new, so we won't be seeing these retired anytime soon. The Caprice fleet is really shrinking, though, as is expected.

Oh, and to end any doubts about the Impala's popularity...
Posted Image
All '05s. Hit the road in October. I can proudly say I was probably one of the first pulled over by one. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Not nearly as scary as a Charger squad car, and that's not necessarily a good thing, imo.

It will be interesting to read the test results on police vehicles this year... Crown Vic 4.6L, Impala 3.9L (what, no 5.3?  bah) and Charger 5.7L.

[post="60168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ocnblu,
If you are really hot to see the results, settle in for a long down load and go to:
www.michigan.gov/documents/MSP_Eval_146823_7.pdf

But like I said, be prepared. It is a 3.45Mb pdf file that is 97 pages long!

Have fun! :o

And just for folks like Z...
Posted Image
I do love seeing these...well...in most circumstances. These were acquired in 2002 brand-new, so we won't be seeing these retired anytime soon. The Caprice fleet is really shrinking, though, as is expected.

Whoa...nice B). The NYS troopers have a few of these, as well as the 93-97s. On the state parkways they'll have seat belt/registration/inspection spot checks, and they'll have the Camaro sitting in the bushes just in case someone makes a break for it. Pretty effective deterrent if you ask me.

Does Florida still have the super trooper Corvettes?

Agreed.. This thing looks silly. Feminine, even... (Not the picture below)...

I don't know, the '06 Impala doesn't have the menacing, low-slung look that the Vic cruisers have.

Posted Image

Or the RWD.
Posted Image

But the Impalas would definately be preferable for daily patrol work where the fuel economy is needed more.

[post="60524"][/post]

Edited by Sal Collaziano

That looks like something out of a Fisher Price catalog.

[post="77618"][/post]

Funny you should say that... Revell did a 1:25th scale plastic model kit of an '05 Impala police car.. I have a couple of these kits, I plan to build one as a stock Avis version.

Posted Image

Curb hopping durability has very little to do with FWD v. RWD.  I DO know the Impala is the squad car of choice here in Indiana.

[post="60479"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Old-school BOF construction like the CV is probably more so the differentiator for curb hopping and other police stuff like driving off loading docks, jumping railway crossings like the General Lee, etc... :) BOF cars (like trucks) seem to be more rugged for abuse.

Here in Denver, the PD uses CVs pretty much exclusively, along with Expeditions and Tahoes. I think most of the 'burbs around here use CVs also..

I was talking with an officer out here, and they said Cali isnt interested in any of the Charger cars due to they are too powerful... so i think to myself... (this is why you are driving a ford huh :AH-HA_wink: ) haha and maybe this is why GM thinks it worth while to enter a v6 into the marketplace :blink: Tooo Soon Jr... lol i think they are helpless against monster v8's like my trans am... hopefully GM will sell some impalas to the police... that would be nice to get a contract or two back

Funny you should say that... Revell did a 1:25th scale plastic model kit of an '05 Impala police car..   I have a couple of these kits, I plan to build one as a stock Avis version.

Posted Image

[post="77848"][/post]

That's a fun idea. Dress one up in a paper bag for the Enterprise E-car!