Do you have Two plates on your car?

capriceman

In michigan we only need a single plate in the rear of our cars but today I saw a Corvette with Ohio plates. and since it had them on the front it just looked wierd. Do any of you need two plates and do you mind it?

I'm used to 2 plates, but wouldn't mind one plates...but if I moved to a one-plate state (Arizona) I'd have the problem that my cars all have the brackets and holes behind them in the plastic bumper covers... :( (I lived in Michigan for 3 years, but always had 2 plates since my cars then were registered in Ohio). What I really like are the wide European number plates...my M3 would look much nicer with them than US-style plates, IMHO. Edited by moltar

Yes, and to add to it NY is probly the worst state in terms of automotive restrictions :angry: About two months ago before the weather got really cold I saw a Solstice on the road but it didn't have any front plate with was good but bad if they get pulled over. Cops around here are really anal about things like front plates and all, you can't put the plat in your front wind shield, even if it is clearly visible. It really strikes me odd how I live 50ft away from a police station and they don't issue ticket for people parking in front of the fire hydrant in front of my house, but they will pull someone over that has an out License plate light. :huh:

As Northstar noted, IL requires 2 plates.

All of my MCs have both plates ... doesn't look too out of place, considering all 3 of them were more-or-less designed with a spot for the front plate.

Still...I've never understood why the front plate is required ... if the front had to have lights on the plate like the back does, I'd understand a bit more...ya know?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"It's coming down to nothing more than apathy" ... The Fray ... 'Over My Head'

I live in California in a city that has red-light cameras.  If you even park here without a fron plate, you'll get a ticket.

[post="57808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which is why I gladly leave the SS at home if I'm going to Hollywood (Sunset) or downtown LA.

In michigan we only need a single plate in the rear of our cars but today I saw a Corvette with Ohio plates. and since it had them on the front it just looked wierd.
Do any of you need two plates and do you mind it?

[post="57768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you could say i mind it. i wont get a solstice because of it. instead, im gonna get a sky on which a front plate would be tolerable. while i like the looks of the sky better, the assumed extra cost of the saturn wasnt justifiable until i imagined a plate on the front of both cars.

we have bright white plates here, so its also affected my choice of color over the years. :angry:

Iowa requires two plates, so it would screw up the look of the Solstice's front end if I got one.  Although, my dad's front plate holder never got put back on his Delta 88 after it was repainted, so now he just rests the plate in the windshield...kinda tacky, but it works.

[post="57814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

he could try strapping it to the pass side sun visor. you'll get nailed for that in MO, tho. <_<

Where I live, only the rear plate is required.  I honestly couldn't live in a jurisdiction that needs front plates...just ruins the look of most cars.  Especially the Corvette and Solstice....like a wart.

[post="57829"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.
Kinda funny tho, in Newfoundland two plates are required on Pick-ups but only one on cars... I don't get it!

I'm used to 2 plates,  but wouldn't mind one plates...but if I moved to a one-plate state (Arizona) I'd have the problem that my cars all have the brackets and holes behind them in the plastic bumper covers... :(

(I lived in Michigan for 3 years, but always had 2 plates since my cars then were registered in Ohio).
What I really like are the wide European number plates...my M3 would look much nicer with them than US-style plates, IMHO.

[post="57783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've actually seen a BMW with a Euro-style plate. I wonder if you can order legal novelty plates that way...

I was gonna try to have just the one plate, but I saw my car arrive at the dealership with the bracket already in place. If I get a Solstice or Corvette, though, I'm not buying it unless there's no bracket there. I remember going to Arizona last year and seeing cars go up and down the freeway with no plates at all. When you first register a car they give you a temporary plate made of paper with adhesive on either end that you stick to the rear glass. If you ride with the windows down, it takes about two days for that piece of paper to come loose and fly out the back window.

All of Canada except Quebec requires two. It's funny to me to see a car without a front plate, it looks abandoned.

[post="57929"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Umm No, I know for a fact that Alberta only requires one and the same for Newfoundland on cars. Here is some info:

British Columbia
Singles: ??

Alberta
Singles: ?? (1 plate)

Saskatchewan
Singles: 12-14, 15-17, 43, 45-47, 52-54

Manitoba
Singles: '45 - '49; '88 - '96

Ontario
Singles: '03 leather, '43, '45 - '47

Quebec
Singles: '45 - '49

New Brunswick
Singles: '42 - '47, '62 - '68

Nova Scotia
Singles: '98 - date

PEI
Singles: '42-'45, '64, '65, '81 - date

Newfoundland
Singles: Since 1997

NWT
Singles: since early 1990s

Nunavut
Singles: since early 1990s

Yukon
Singles: since 1991

http://www.canplates.com/reg/available.html Edited by Cremazie

I think the Solstice would look better with the plate off to the side rather than in the center of the grille...if they had integrated the turn signals and driving lights into the headlight housings, they could have done this.. I like how some older cars had the front plate off to the side, esp. on the old pointy-nosed Pontiacs...

What can I say, Massachusetts sucks! :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

BUt as you've noticed form some of my photos I do not always follow taht law. :D

Long live the state of Pennsylvania where only 1 plate is required! Woo! :D

[post="57779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. Easy to back out of a parking lot after bumping a parked car. I haven't done it but my ex-girlfriend's mom did. Hilarious.

Passat has been fined twice for no front plate... interestingly, no fix-it ticket. Since then, we've put it back on. The Odyssey still doesn't, though, but who'll do such a thing and fine a poor, family-values minivan?

[post="58366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I dunno. You're passing Quests and stuff like that. Who knows what you'll do next, you maniac.

I think the Solstice would look better with the plate off to the side rather than in the center of the grille...if they had integrated the turn signals and driving lights into the headlight housings, they could have done this..

I like how some older cars had the front plate off to the side, esp. on the old pointy-nosed Pontiacs...

[post="58097"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Read: 2nd gen Cavaliers.

My sis' 92' Cavalier had the front plate to the side.