TAHOE..Wind noise !

SK63

Sorry, I don't want to get the reputation as a complainer but this is the first time I've owned a Chevy. The relative wind rush on my Tahoe is the absolute worst I've ever experinced ! Is this normal ?? It starts around 45 mph and gives you the impression the wind is HOWLING outside. In fact, the wind was calm. Frankly I couldn't imagine driving a long road trip like this. If normal, will anything help ? 06 Tahoe

You might have an air leak around a door seal, but my M-Class has a bit of wind noise too. The 2007 Tahoe promises less via a slicker windshield, but your 06 has the more upright windshield of the GMT-800s. Without more information, I cannot say if the noise is inherent to the design or not.

The Dealer says "It's Normal" (Never heard that one before). I can't imagine this being normal. I've owned some crappy cars and nothing as noisy as this truck. So I'm in for a fight and have only had the truck a week. Woo Hoo

The Dealer says "It's Normal" (Never heard that one before). I can't imagine this being normal. I've owned some crappy cars and nothing as noisy as this truck. So I'm in for a fight and have only had the truck a week. Woo Hoo

[post="59228"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

its not normal...

I work at a chevy dealerships... they are quiet on the freeway...

tell them, that its not normal on you're friends 06 tahoes (i dont care if you have any) just tell them that, and if they give you any guff ask to see the manager, and if he gives you any guff mention better buisness buero... you mention them, they'll get very responsive... :CG_all:

I work at a chevy dealerships... they are quiet on the freeway

I know it's not normal, I just don't get what they are doing ? Are they just trying to get out of warranty work or what ? Hell It's brand new with 200 miles on it, They certainly are not in to customer Service. Also, what are the "escalation" procedures within Chevrolet if any ? Edited by SK63

I know it's not normal, I just don't get what they are doing ?  Are they just trying to get out of warranty work or what ? Hell It's brand new with 200 miles on it, They certainly are not in to customer Service.  Also, what are the "escalation" procedures within Chevrolet if any ?

[post="59313"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

okay... yes they are trying to get out of doing the work... because they know however long they spend fixing it they wont be reimbersed by gm, nor you... so it's a waste of their time...

get you're salesman involved...

tell him that if they dont fix it, that you want to return the truck... (assuming if it has less then 200 miles, you havent had it for a month)

if you lived in southern cali, i'd say for you to bring it here...

Deffinatly not normal, my '03 Avalanche (same door architecture) is nice and quiet at both low and high speeds (45k miles on it). If all else fails, roll down your window, open the door, take a 2x4 and hold it up to your door openingat the height where the bottom of the door window is, shut the door to the 2x and push on the top of your door frame (again, be sure the window is rolled down). That will bend the top part of the door inward hence giving a tighter seal around the door. Yeah... this is a half ass way of doing it but it works. And for the record, no I didn't have to do that to my Avalanche, it was quiet from th day I picked it up. Edited by BuddyP

I think you've got a lousy dealer there -- I'm on my second Tahoe (first was an '01, then I traded for an '05 about 6 months ago), and that wind noise that you describe is NOT normal. Find the best GM dealer in your area, and take it there for service and warranty work if your local Chevy dealer won't help. I take both my 04 Impala and my 05 Tahoe to our local Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer because the Chevy dealer in my town is not a good one, and I bought my both my cars in another city...

No Luck. Just today, I spoke to the quite arrogant Service Manager who was telling me it's the design. He's a classic mechanic type who will tell you all day, he can't fix it because it's not broke. "It's normal", "It's the design", "it's not broke". Years ago, I new a Aircraft Mechanic like that. We end up calling another mechanic in and he'd FIX IT !

• 2 weeks later...
As others have said on this post, take it to a good dealer. I have a couple of problems with my Silverado (underdash clicking I suspected, correctly, was one of the actuators for the driver's side HVAC air mixing door). I took it to the dealer where I bought the truck. Same old b.s. "normal condition, couldn't replicate problem" etc. Took it to a good dealer: Clicking under dash fixed immediately, found worn out tie rods, offered to do service bulletin for vibration. I was amazed I tell you. So...find yourself a decent dealership. Here is a key - smaller is better. The mega dealerships don't want to waste time on warranty (minimum profit) repairs. Smaller dealerships like the business and will take it on.

No Luck. Just today, I spoke to the quite arrogant Service Manager who was telling me it's the design. He's a classic mechanic type who will tell you all day, he can't fix it because it's not broke. "It's normal", "It's the design", "it's not broke".

Years ago, I new a Aircraft Mechanic like that. We end up calling another mechanic in and he'd FIX IT !

[post="62944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

TAHOE..Wind noise !

Sounds like a personal problem... stop eating so many beans. :ph34r: :AH-HA_wink:

Okay seriously I think there's two possibilities here:

1. this is your first full size SUV and you're not used to driving an unaerodynamic brick so the noise seems worse then it really is.

2. Your truck needs to have a piece of weather stripping, modling, trim etc. fixed/aligned/replaced.

Probably the latter. Good luck, give 'em hell! :)

• 1 month later...
this is the same thing i went through with GM on my EXT (piston slap). i had the "non duplicatable, normal" problem thing for a year. they finally folded. BTW, this 02 is the quietest truck i have owned. quieter than the 03 bonneville i have and the bonne was insulated and undercoated.

I have a better idea than saying my friends doesn't do this. Take out your Tahoe on a test drive then do the same with another 06 Tahoe on the lot with the service manager and sales manager along for the ride. Drive the same speed down the same road. If there is ANY difference between yours and theirs then they MUST fix it because it obviously isn't normal. They CAN'T refuse to fix it if it isn't normal. Also be sure you go along for the ride and if you can bring along a small recording device and put it in the same place on each car and then play the two parts back to back. That will make it 100% sure that they can't say that your truck is normal.

I seriously doubt you've been in a vehicle with bad windnoise. Do you have to yell the the person in the passenger seat for them to hear you? ;)

[post="94451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just curious who were you addressing? Also 'bad' is subjective what could seem really bad to you might not matter to me.

Just curious who were you addressing?  Also 'bad' is subjective what could seem really bad to you might not matter to me.

[post="94458"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The starter of the thread, but I said that, because my dad's suburban has the most wind noise EVER!! You can see daylight through the doors, because they're so messed up. When driving on the highway you can barely hear someone if they're yelling at the top of their lungs.

• 1 month later...