2010 Hyundai Sonata

Paolino

It really is amazing how much Hyundai has changed.

yes. the lights in the pics look...lexus/buick sort of lux it's not surprising kia is the base brand, right?

yes, those engines sound very competitive.

Funny to think that we've come so far in engine technology in the past ten years when a GM V6 put out just over 200 HP and the new engines, such as the 4 cylinder is this new Sonata puts out the same HP and likely better mileage. Of course, it's unlikely to have the same low-end grunt; however, it's sure to be sufficient to move the car well enough and not have to be a lightweight sub-compact with a 6,000 RPM max. HP rating to get anywhere.

Hyundai has come a long way in such short time. I don't think there really has ever been a car company to turn from bottom of the barrel to nearly top of the heap. They're massive success in changing public perception and quality is, well, perplexing.

The all new Sonata (YF) sets to shake the mid-size sedan segment with its polarizing new design. The sleek, rakish lines of the exterior evoke a four-door coupe alike the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class and Volkswagen CC. Hyundai announced that the new Sonata will be the first car to incorporate the brand's new "Fluidic Sculpture" corporate design theme, thus finally calming the quarrel surrounding the company's lack of a genuine brand identity to this date. The automaker even stated its hopes to replicate the immense impact made by the first-generation Ford Taurus when it debuted in 1985 with its futuristic, timeless styling.

First thing I thought of when I saw the pics was the Camry Solara with a Cruze greenhouse. I don't see anything too over-the-top here that will give it the same impact as the '86 Taurus. PR fluff, IMO.

Hard to tell until I see more of it. This class of cars is just so meh for me now regardless of manufacturer. Mazda 6 and Passat CC may be the only ones I would ever look twice at, and the CC is pricey compared to the rest of them.

• 3 weeks later...

This article was just posted on CarScoop today. I do like the car's long hood, short deck profile. This car might make quite an impact as a sportier alternative to the hopelessly bland Camry and Accord.

Link: CarScoop: Official Pictures of 2011 Hyundai Sonata Leak on the Web

Source: CarScoop

Link: CarScoop: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Profile Picture

Source: CarScoop

It's definitely much more expressive than the current Sonata (which isn't saying much actually) as well as the Camry and Accord (which isn't saying much either).

Edited by cire

Change the 'H' in the grille for a 'VW' and we'd get more favourable reactions. Regardless of perception I think it will do it's job: help in establishing Hyundai as a credible competitor to the World's top 2 car makers.

Edited by ZL-1