Alpha-Numeric Bullcrap

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles

Guest lance armstrong's Testicles
why? after all these years of having names related to racing and whatnot; why switch to this kind of retarded crap Edited by Josh

Starchief Safari Bonneville Tempest LeMans Grand Prix Catalina GTO Firebird Trans Am Sunbird Grand Ville Parrisienne Ventura Grand Am Sunfire Phoenix TranSport Torrent T1000 J2000 6000 Vibe G6 SV6 Which list sounds better? Seriously they had like a dozen great names to choose from but they go wiht G6 instead??? WTF? Why kill of your best selling model name, it'd downright idiotic?

Hopefully, Grand Am will come back, like Sunbird came back after the J2000 debacle, and no more alphas will be attached to Pontiacs as model names. Wait, except for GTO.

Sixty8, the Cadillac in your sig looks... odd. What model is that? Is it even real? I don't remember that roofline at all, or that front end with that back end.
Edited by ocnblu

Sixty8, the Cadillac in your sig looks... odd.  What model is that?  Is it even real?  I don't remember that roofline at all, or that front end with that back end.

If I may: the front & rear are correct: 1961. The roofline was not common: it's the 4-window hardtop sedan, 4700 units built as a Series 62 (vs. 26K as a S62 6-window), 4847 built as a Sedan deVille (vs. 26K again as a SdV 6-window). Body style is xx39.

This style is the '61 version of the 'flattop' 4-dr hardtops of '59-60. For '62 the xx39's wrap rear window was redesigned in favor of a more formal backlight.

I agree that it does look unfamiliar, even to me. Then again I always glossed over the 4-drs in general...

Sixty8, the Cadillac in your sig looks... odd.  What model is that?  Is it even real?  I don't remember that roofline at all, or that front end with that back end.

If I may: the front & rear are correct: 1961. The roofline was not common: it's the 4-window hardtop sedan, 4700 units built as a Series 62 (vs. 26K as a S62 6-window), 4847 built as a Sedan deVille (vs. 26K again as a SdV 6-window). Body style is xx39.

This style is the '61 version of the 'flattop' 4-dr hardtops of '59-60. For '62 the xx39's wrap rear window was redesigned in favor of a more formal backlight.

I agree that it does look unfamiliar, even to me. Then again I always glossed over the 4-drs in general...

I think the '61 Buick and Olds C-bodies used that roofline also...pretty uncommon..I've rarely seen photos of them, let alone in person..

Yup... that's waht caught my eye. I normally hate people who cut off a car's front or rear in a photo but this one was too cool to not use for a sig. I love the Vista Roofs on some cars and hate them on others. This is most certainly a Vista Roof that I would love... just the rarity of it is cause for preservation. As far as the weird vibe of the photo: B-pillar has a Mopar look to it, the front fenders have a hint of '62 Skylark becasue of the strange lighting and it looks like the photo as taken with a wide angle lens. Moltar! Where have you been buddy? Have not seen you around in a couple weeks. :) Edited by Sixty8panther

I find Cadillac's renaming of models fitting with their distinctly-American A&S theme. Plus, it's not really alpha-numeric unless you include the 2.8 or 3.6. STS = Seville and so on, though I think "DTS" should be reserved for a proper A&S RWD Cadillac, not some AARP or Enterprise, parts-shared special. For that same reason, the Escalade name works.

I'm all in favor of an ETC (Eldorado).

Edit: Whoops, I thought I was in the Cadillac forum. Um, yes, G6 is pathetic and meaningless, particularly because there isn't a G3 or G9. Edited by empowah

I though someone said G6 meant Grand Am Gen 6. But counting from 1973, this "Grand Am" is technically the 5th iteration. Had a thread to investigate what G6 mean back in the forums before the fall. My interpretation: G + R A N D A M [Six Letters -> 6] ----------------------------------- G6 Edited by ToniCipriani

I though someone said G6 meant Grand Am Gen 6. But counting from 1973, this "Grand Am" is technically the 5th iteration.

Had a thread to investigate what G6 mean back in the forums before the fall.

My interpretation:

G
+ R A N D A M [Six Letters -> 6]
-----------------------------------
G6

[post="56958"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, it actually is the 6th Gen.

1st: 73-75
2nd: 78-80
3rd: 85-91
4th: 92-98
5th: 99-04
6th: G6, 05-present Edited by Croc

Sixty8- Cad in your sig has no B-pillar: it's a hardtop. That's merely framed glass.

[post="56963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well wouldn't that make the rear pillar a B-pillar? Can a four window Hardtop have a C-pillar?

I always thought a hardtop's B pillar IS where the saedan's C-pillar is located. I'm honsetly asking? Is it proper terminology to refer to a Vista Roof as having an A and C pillar but no B?

This means my Camaro also has A and C pillars but the B is considered non-existant, right?

Actually, behind the glass it looks like there IS a pillar. Those aren't suicide doors so there has to be a B-Pillar.

[post="56968"][/post]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's anohter one of these gorgeous Vista Roof 1961 Cadillacs. Notice all windows rolled down and NO B-pillar!

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Sixty8panther: >>"I always thought a hardtop's B pillar IS where the sedan's C-pillar is located. I'm honsetly asking? Is it proper terminology to refer to a Vista Roof as having an A and C pillar but no B? ...my Camaro also has A and C pillars but the B is considered non-existant, right?"<<

You got it: a hardtop (2 or 4-dr) and your 'maro has an A- and C-pillar, but no B.

Croc- hardtops really seem to confuse you for some reason. The Cadillac in Sixty8's sig is a hardtop. You are seeing the chrome-framed glass, but rest assured it rolls down with the window. ;) Sure: there's a hinge pillar, or the rear doors would probably fall out...
Posted Image
but this is NOT what would be called a B-pillar because it does not extend into the greenhouse.

But Cadillac itself makes this issue easy; they didn't offer a 4-dr sedan in '61.

I though someone said G6 meant Grand Am Gen 6. But counting from 1973, this "Grand Am" is technically the 5th iteration.

No, it actually is the 6th Gen.

1st: 73-75
2nd: 78-80
3rd: 85-91
4th: 92-98
5th: 99-04
6th: G6, 05-present

Yep.

Anyways, some people around here have probably seen me do this: "G6 (Grand Am)". Yeah... I'm not a fan of alphanumerics. I mean, if you must change a vehicle's name, atleast use an actual name for Christ's sake. I still wouldn't have liked it, but if they renamed the Grand Am something like... IDK, a meaningful word... I wouldn't have been so bitter over all this. But G6? G...6...? Are you f**king kidding me?

Croc- hardtops really seem to confuse you for some reason. The Cadillac in Sixty8's sig is a hardtop. You are seeing the chrome-framed glass, but rest assured it rolls down with the window. ;) Sure: there's a hinge pillar, or the rear doors would probably fall out...
Posted Image
but this is NOT what would be called a B-pillar because it does not extend into the greenhouse.

But Cadillac itself makes this issue easy; they didn't offer a 4-dr sedan in '61.

[post="57038"][/post]

I understand the concept, but then what is in the picture, circled in my blown-up pic below:

Posted Image

Balthazar:

Well then I've been callign the C-pillar a B-pillar on Hardtop 4drs for the past few years. :P

Dude, stop getting riled up over pithy things like this.

[post="57138"][/post]

Are you kiddig me? He had a misconstrued signature making fun of my signature and yet not only did he not understand the concept of a Hardtop he had no idea that a Four Door Hardtop (pillarless) even existed. But yet if he had even bothered to take a look at my signature (look below) then he'd have seen the complete lack of a B-pillar on the (4dr) 1969 Sedan DeVille.

If you're going to attack someones personal opinion unprovoked then at least TRY to understand WTF you're talking about. <_<

BTW Croc:

Yes, there's some weird lighting or reflection there but it is NOT a "B" pillar. There was NO SUCH thing as a Cadillac Sedan in 1961. Not a 2dr, not a 4dr, NO sedans.

I repeat not one 1961 Cadillac has a fixed B-pillar. Chrome trim attached to the window that rolls down completely with the glass. Maybe next time you go to a carshow you can appreciate the awsome uniqueness of a 1950s or 1960s Hardtop.

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

Balthazar:

Well then I've been callign the C-pillar a B-pillar on Hardtop 4drs for the past few years. :P
Are you kiddig me? He had a misconstrued signature making fun of my signature and yet not only did he not understand the concept of a Hardtop he had no idea that a Four Door Hardtop (pillarless) even existed. But yet if he had even bothered to take a look at my signature (look below) then he'd have seen the complete lack of a B-pillar on the (4dr) 1969 Sedan DeVille.

If you're going to attack someones personal opinion unprovoked then at least TRY to understand WTF you're talking about.  <_<
BTW Croc:

Yes, there's some weird lighting or reflection there but it is NOT a "B" pillar.  There was NO SUCH thing as a Cadillac Sedan in 1961. Not a 2dr, not a 4dr, NO sedans.

I repeat not one 1961 Cadillac has a fixed B-pillar. Chrome trim attached to the window that rolls down completely with the glass. Maybe next time you go to a carshow you can appreciate the awsome uniqueness of a 1950s or 1960s Hardtop.

[post="57158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:rolleyes: Yawn... and so it goes on.

Balthazar:

If you're going to attack someones personal opinion unprovoked then at least TRY to understand WTF you're talking about.  <_<

[post="57158"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, I knew they existed.

You admit there is a weird lighting reflection that could look like a pillar. But I guess it is just lighting. Forget it. Edited by Croc

Actually, behind the glass it looks like there IS a pillar.  Those aren't suicide doors so there has to be a B-Pillar.

[post="56968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What part of this quote do you deny? :huh:

Anyways, some people around here have probably seen me do this: "G6 (Grand Am)". Yeah... I'm not a fan of alphanumerics. I mean, if you must change a vehicle's name, atleast use an actual name for Christ's sake. I still wouldn't have liked it, but if they renamed the Grand Am something like... IDK, a meaningful word... I wouldn't have been so bitter over all this. But G6? G...6...? Are you f**king kidding me?

[post="57112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Seemed pretty clear to me that they had 2 MAJOR reasons for not naming it Grand Am.

1) Too many people have had crappy Grand Am's, and it's a tarnished image.
2) Alphanumeric car names are popular. Might be crappy, but that's how the market is. We all have preferences. I wish Saturn would stop naming it's cars in ALL CAPS. :rolleyes:

Sixty8, since you like pictures...
Posted Image

That's beating a dead horse, symbolizing the fact that you dredged up an argument that's been dead for awhile and a signature that doesn't exist anymore.

Posted Image

And that's a bridge being built so you can get over it - whatever it may be - that causes you to dwell on these old, pithy topics again and again. My gosh. He looked and was convinced he saw a B-pillar. He was sorta right that a stunted B-pillar exists (re: Ocn's post), but generally wrong. He admitted his false belief, learned something in the process, and moved on. Is it that hard for you to do the same?

In the Pearl Harbor thread, you mentioned a Japanese jet was a facsimile of a German one. It wasn't; I knew it wasn't and pointed it out. We all learned that fact, and we moved on. I never referenced it again (except in this case) and don't plan on doing it because its stupid to.

We all know things others don't. We sometimes share them. We sometimes learn them. And we move on.

Maybe you can take away that lesson from this...

Anyway, back to the point of discussion which happens to be Pontiac's use of alphnumeric names.

Hell... 240SX is alphanumeric... Again, my point. A name is just a name. It's like icing on a cake. It gives the outlook of the cake so that people will see it and buy it. If the cake under the cream and frosting is all soggy and crap, no matter what it's a bad cake. As long a the CAR is good, the name is not that important, relatively.

Seemed pretty clear to me that they had 2 MAJOR reasons for not naming it Grand Am.

1) Too many people have had crappy Grand Am's, and it's a tarnished image.
2) Alphanumeric car names are popular.  Might be crappy, but that's how the market is.  We all have preferences.  I wish Saturn would stop naming it's cars in ALL CAPS.  :rolleyes:

[post="57168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My preference is to keep the Grand Am name. Again, I wouldn't have been so pissy about it if it had been replaced with a real name; one with meaning, substance, etc. G6 not only sounds retarded, it has no meaning. It doesn't conjure images of anything. It has no special connection. It's meaningless. It's retarded. Period.

Hell... 240SX is alphanumeric...

Again, my point. A name is just a name. It's like icing on a cake. It gives the outlook of the cake so that people will see it and buy it. If the cake under the cream and frosting is all soggy and crap, no matter what it's a bad cake.

As long a the CAR is good, the name is not that important, relatively.

[post="57172"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If a name isn't important... Why did they change it? :P Huh?

Anyways, nice way to turn that on me. Bastard. Yeah, a name isn't going to stop me from buying a vehicle nor is it going to make me buy one. It will and has happened to other people, though. They're retarded too. That's why the Grand Am name was retired. Retards would see the name and think of the POS they used to have, which, would prevent them from buying it even though it's a good car. It's also why old names were brought back (like Impala, Malibu, GTO, etc.). People would see the name and think of the the cool car they used to have, which, would make them buy it even though it's not the best car in its class nor like the original. Names mean something.

BTW, 240SX actually stands for something, unlike G6. It's documented and not just speculation. :D

When do we get the Pontiac DOA?

[post="57179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Isn't that what they're going to call the 2nd gen. Aztek? :P

If a name isn't important... Why did they change it? :P Huh?

Anyways, nice way to turn that on me. Bastard. Yeah, a name isn't going to stop me from buying a vehicle nor is it going to make me buy one. It will and has happened to other people, though. They're retarded too. That's why the Grand Am name was retired. Retards would see the name and think of the POS they used to have, which, would prevent them from buying it even though it's a good car. It's also why old names were brought back (like Impala, Malibu, GTO, etc.). People would see the name and think of the the cool car they used to have, which, would make them buy it even though it's not the best car in its class nor like the original. Names mean something.

BTW, 240SX actually stands for something, unlike G6. It's documented and not just speculation. :D

[post="57190"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're not getting my point. I was saying the name is relatively less important compare to the car itself, and shouldn't be the number one concern of a car design.

As for 240SX, it stands that it has a 2.4L engine, but that's about it. Otherwise it just follows the naming scheme of Nissan's sport models.

You're not getting my point. I was saying the name is relatively less important compare to the car itself, and shouldn't be the number one concern of a car design.

I'm got your point. What do you think "Yeah, a name isn't going to stop me from buying a vehicle nor is it going to make me buy one" meant? As well as the rest of the paragraph adding to it.

As for 240SX, it stands that it has a 2.4L engine, but that's about it. Otherwise it just follows the naming scheme of Nissan's sport models.

[post="57208"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly.

Hey BV: -2003 Honda Sportrax 300EX; red, runs perfectly, in good-excellent condition, needs new tires; $2800 Can I take a test drive at night wiht no headlights? :)

I once knew this girl from Oakland, her name was Bonnie Ville-Catalina and her gag reflex was pretty bad... I was always tempest to go for a happy ending but she never allowed for it. Other than that she was hot like a Firebird. :P

I don't have a problem, personally. The Europeans' been using it. Oldsmobile started off with alphanumerics.

To me as long as the car is good, I don't really care what the name is. I guess some of us tends to name our cars anyways :P

[post="56596"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's why European cars have sucky names...

If you build a great performance car and add killer looks you could name it the Turd and it would sell. If you look as some of the lame name's there not any better than the numbers. Pontiac people may not like it but they will buy a Pontiac no matter the name. Conquest sale are the name of the game and many of them would not buy a Grand Am by name no matter how good it is.