Speculation on cancelling GMX386 and globalization

Northstar

First let me say I am simply speculating and posting my thoughts on the issue, and that I have no inside info confirming this, just info/rumors that I have read.

By now I'm sure most of us who have followed the 'GMX386' thread know that the NG Malibu has been cancelled and we won't have a new Malibu until Epsilon II is ready. I've been thinking about GM globalizing over the next few years and what that means to future product plans in general, and more importantly for this thread, what that means to the future of Chevrolet cars.

First, let's consider the platforms that GM will have at its disposal upon which to base cars on by 2010:

Note that all of these platforms, or at least most of the components used in them, will be used globally.

Delta II
Epsilon II
Zeta (Holden)
Sigma Lite (proposed North American version of Zeta)

Now, it is rather obvious that the NG Malibu/replacement will be based on Epsilon II, but also notice that there is no W-Body left on which to put a NG Impala. I highly doubt that Chi has made it through any sort of cost cutting as no other parts of the world demand a large FWD platform, and thus it would not fit in with GM's globalization. Now, let's go back to something evok posted in the 'GMX386' thread:

"Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore."

Someone pointed out that maybe that simply meant the NG Malibu wouldn't be called 'Malibu,' and I tend to agree. With the current Impala needing a replacement close to 2010 and the Malibu obviously needing one by then, maybe the NG Malibu will simply be called "Impala" and replace both the Impala and Malibu. We know that Epsilon II is supposed to move up in size, and with the interior space inefficiency of the current Impala, I see no reason why GM would keep the Impala around, except for a bigger trunk.

Now, here's the other piece to the puzzle: By 2010 GM will have the RWD cars ready (whether they choose "Sigma Lite" or "Zeta" with Zeta being the Holden platform), and then Chevy could get a new range-topping RWD/AWD flagship above the new "Impala" as we have heard news of previously. By basically combining the Malibu and Impala into one model, Chevy can concentrate all of it's CamCord-fighting efforts into one vehicle, and then work on a more traditional American RWD sedan above it, without having to worry about having too many sedans (if GM simply added a RWD sedan to Chevy's current lineup, I think that's one too many).

Whether I'm correct on the naming or not, I don't see Chevy having a FWD sedan above their future Epsilon II sedan as they do now. I think it would be quite possible that the Malibu just gets renamed and the Impala name goes to the RWD sedan eventually, but let's not dwell on the names too much right now. The important part is that there's no FWD platform bigger than Epsilon II on the way, and thus there won't be a future FWD Impala unless that's what the Epsilon II sedan is named.

So, just to recap, I think this is what Chevy's future sedan lineup will look like (circa 2010):

Aveo
Cobalt - Delta II
Epsilon II sedan
RWD sedan

Please stop this. Your illogical assumptions are incorrect, and harmful to GMs purchasing/sourcing plan. Just because a job is pulled from a certain supplier, is no reason to speculate that program is cancelled. I cannot emphasize how bad this is hurting GM! Many suppliers are not getting the job done properly. There have been incidents of meetings not being attended, because of cancellation rumors. If you have proof of the crap your'e spreading, fine. Please try to base your comments on what you are SURE is true, instead of pretending you know facts! Ted's list has many errors as well. Some of you guys are acting like the Media retards that all pile on, just because you can. PLEASE consider your thoughts carefully before blabbering your incredible dizzying logic. GM has it tough enough right now, really. Edited by mightymouse

Lambda will definitely be around in 2010, even if it's only for the NA market. Chi was rumored to be based off of Lambda or the G-Platform... so if Lambda is alive and well in 2010, I can still see a variant going towards large FWD/AWD sedans. Oh, and won't Kappa eventually be manufactured in Europe as well? Kappa or Kappa II could eventually join GM's global platform community.

First let me say I am simply speculating and posting my thoughts on the issue, and that I have no inside info confirming this, just info/rumors that I have read.

By now I'm sure most of us who have followed the 'GMX386' thread know that the NG Malibu has been cancelled

[post="56473"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's been a tough day, it's just this part is hard to read, and I know every supplier
doesn't read this... I'm just asking you to consider the source, is that so bad?
I can't just sit there...it's like someone picking on your little brother,
you can't just let them...

The eternal footman is scraping his shoe off, and dumping his clutch....
he is not in the ditch or wrecked or done driving his chosen road,
he is busy gittin r done

Northstar great start but lets consider a few things. Number one is that Zeta (more acurately VE) is only going to be around for so long. The Camaro's Chevy based platform has been chosen as a GLOBAL RWD platform ergo it is more important than Zeta. As far as name I would actually count on the Malibu staying FWD on EPII and Impala, typically a larger car and with a closer association to RWD and performance than Malibu, would be the RWD companion to Camaro.

It's been a tough day, it's just this part is hard to read, and I know every supplier
doesn't read this... I'm just asking you to consider the source, is that so bad?
I can't just sit there...it's like someone picking on your little brother,
you can't just let them...

The eternal footman is scraping his shoe off, and dumping his clutch....
he is not in the ditch or wrecked or done driving his chosen road,
he is busy gittin r done

[post="58373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I did post this three days ago, and at that time all signs were that it was cancelled. If I was to write some similar speculation today then I wouldn't have said anything about the NG Malibu being cancelled.

Sorry if I assumed too much at the time I wrote this because of what we had been hearing then, and thank you for helping to confirm that the NG Malibu is in fact not cancelled.

No offense was taken and I hope you didn't take any offense to my speculation.

If GM is really globalising platforms then there is going to be alot of pushing and pulling as the model cycles are synched up and that's sure to generate speculation, there's no way of getting away from it. I'd guess the architectures under threat are : - Aussie Zeta - maybe a short life before they move to a global Sigma-lite - Chi - US only, and is there really a demand for a next gen FWD land yacht? - European Astra platform - superceeded by Delta 2 ? - European Fiat Punto / Opel Corsa platform - not even released yet, but what's its future if Daewoo does all the next gen small cars? There are also probably some major sourcing changes as they start awarding supply contracts on a global basis - there was a bit of a fuss in Australia recently because the new Commodore's windshield is going to be made in Thailand. But it's all for the best long term, hopefully it means GM are taking some tough decisions

Well, I did post this three days ago, and at that time all signs were that it was cancelled. If I was to write some similar speculation today then I wouldn't have said anything about the NG Malibu being cancelled.

Sorry if I assumed too much at the time I wrote this because of what we had been hearing then, and thank you for helping to confirm that the NG Malibu is in fact not cancelled.

No offense was taken and I hope you didn't take any offense to my speculation.

[post="58468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

None taken. I try my best to not comment at all, except when untrue comments
hurt GM. I sincerely appreciate all who consider the info source carefully.