Article: '2006 Camaro Concept'

CaMIRO

2006 Camaro Concept Confirmed for Detroit

... the key elements here encompass a more total, more involving ownership experience: rear-wheel-drive; a low center of gravity, and the hedonism of two doors, V8 power, and driver-oriented cockpits. Lest we forget, this aggressive power is wrapped in aggressive style, to which is affixed an affordable price tag.

It seems like a simple formula - perhaps, all too simple for some, but nonetheless a formula which has thrilled hundreds of thousands of people.

... a General Motors seeking to close the perception gap could do much worse than to look to a revived Camaro; a car that stands as a symbol of American performance in the '60s; that exemplified perseverance (perhaps, paradoxically, excessively so) under draconian, self-defeating legislation in the '70s; a car that suffered from ninety-percent execution, with ten-percent excess, in the '80s, and that evolved from troubled missteps into a superlative performer in the '90s, but found that its audience was no longer with it.

At Detroit 2006, however, one can bet that this audience will be watching. Post-millennial General Motors knows full well that the final ten percent in product execution is the key to prolonged success, and that cars cannot be left to stand a decade with infirm plans for their replacement.

Congratulations, Camaro, and welcome back; we've missed you.

Edited by CaMIRO

I think I'm gonna be embarrassed at NAIAS when I cream my pants while standing in front of the Concept.......

:P

[post="55753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So...... The Camaro is only in the early concept stages (first showing) this means that realisticly we can't expect to see this at a dealer until, what maybe MY2010?

By then the Mustang will be into the next phase and have a huge lead in market share. I can only imagine what other competitors will also be out then.

So sad for GM!

So...... The Camaro is only in the early concept stages (first showing) this means that realisticly we can't expect to see this at a dealer until, what maybe MY2010?

By then the Mustang will be into the next phase and have a huge lead in market share.  I can only imagine what other competitors will also be out then.
So sad for GM!

[post="55756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are sooo right! I should go buy a mustang right now! :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, and the recent photos have shown... the Camaro (concept) would make any mustang driver (even those diehard mustang/ford dorks, which lots of mustang drivers are) regret ever making the purchase! So, who cares about a lead in market share when you are the only one out there.

CAMARO!--------CAMARO!--------WERE ARE THEE??---I miss the scent of thy TIRE SMOKE!---The curve of thy finders!---The HUMM of thy Engine!---OH dear CAMARO were have thee gone? :( Are thee to be reborn in thy former image?---To return to us as before?---Or will ye break our hearts once more? :( :huh: Edited by Carguy

You are sooo right!  I should go buy a mustang right now!  :rolleyes:

Like I've said before, and the recent photos have shown...  the Camaro (concept) would make any mustang driver (even those diehard mustang/ford dorks, which lots of mustang drivers are) regret ever making the purchase!  So, who cares about a lead in market share when you are the only one out there.

[post="55767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Interesting sarcastic response AAS! But you have punctuated my point exactly!

While the "diehard mustang/ford dorks" (your words) are DRIVING their Mustangs, as dreadful as you may think they are, the GM/Camaro diehards can only look at pictures and dream about how good it will be perhaps someday. Your response was a pathetic display of provincial attitude and the hope for something that will never be.

It is far better to experience the driving of a real Mustang, though fraught with imperfection, than to languish perpetually looking at pictures of an imaginary Camaro that, maybe just maybe if it was ever built, would be the perfect ride.

Your response was a pathetic display of provincial attitude and the hope for something that will never be. 

It is far better to experience the driving of a real Mustang, though fraught with imperfection, than to languish perpetually looking at pictures of an imaginary Camaro that, maybe just maybe if it was ever built, would be the perfect ride.

[post="55783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1) I believe the Camaro will return.

2) I drive a Camaro, so it's not something imaginary to me. The pictures show me what's to come, and the next one I will be driving.

If you don't believe, or don't enjoy it... then why rain on everyone elses parade?

And yes, I know my comments about the mustang driving dorks helped your argument... But if you can honestly say that the recent Camaro photos wouldn't give a mustang driver buyer's remorse, then you need to have your eyes checked.

Take a look at this. Mustang fans, Mopar fans, even import fans are crapping their pants over this unfinished clay mockup of a Camaro. Aside from the true loyalists (Mustang or Camaro), most buyers are going to just go with the better car. Now if this kind of reaction is coming from "loyalists" (wherever their loyalties may lie), that really says something about how this car will do once it comes out, whenever that is. I'm fully confident that when the Camaro returns, the Mustang will be relegated to "chick car" status, like it's been for much of the time there's been a Camaro for sale at a Chevy dealership.

[quote name='AAS' date='Dec 9 2005, 06:30 PM']
1) I believe the Camaro will return.
[/quote]
Do you also still believe in Santa Claus?

I agree GM will someday again grace a car with the venerable Camaro name.  But rest assured it will fall woefully short of the concept pictured

2) I drive a Camaro, so it's not something imaginary to me. 
I will not hold this against you!

If you don't believe, or don't enjoy it... then why rain on everyone elses parade?

I see no reason to prevent you from enjoying the Camaro picture parades into infinitum.  But why must you denegrade those who buy and enjoy driving real cars (Mustangs)?

And yes, I know my comments about the mustang driving dorks helped your argument... But if you can honestly say that the recent Camaro photos wouldn't give a mustang driver buyer's remorse, then you need to have your eyes checked.

Mustang drivers are much more interested in real existing cars rather than imaginary photo cars and will not be remorseful over a mere photograph.  Now if the bean counters at GM would ever allow this to be produced.... then you might have something. 

[post="55786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

Edit: by z28luvr01 - tried to make your quotes more legible....sorry 'bout that. Edited by andretti

I think I'm gonna be embarrassed at NAIAS when I cream my pants while standing in front of the Concept.......

:P

[post="55753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude I'm wearing a condom for it..

[post="55756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It took the Solstice three years from concept, in 2002, to production, in 2005. And they took that one VERY slow and precise. Same idea with the Camaro, but it'll be a 2009 MY (and probably '08 calendar year)

Take a look at this. Mustang fans, Mopar fans, even import fans are crapping their pants over this unfinished clay mockup of a Camaro. Aside from the true loyalists (Mustang or Camaro), most buyers are going to just go with the better car. Now if this kind of reaction is coming from "loyalists" (wherever their loyalties may lie), that really says something about how this car will do once it comes out, whenever that is. I'm fully confident that when the Camaro returns, the Mustang will be relegated to "chick car" status, like it's been for much of the time there's been a Camaro for sale at a Chevy dealership.

[post="55800"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dude, that's awesome. I didn't think the 'stang owners would be drooling, or even the import drivers, but it seems GM has an amazing concept on their hands..

ZL-1:  It's the Coat of Arms of Armenia  :)

[post="55837"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Aha, Armenia!
It fits the country and its spiritual heritage perfectly, as the struggle between the Eagle and the Lion is one of the most interesting Hermetic symbols: the struggle between Man's conflicting natures, Spiritual and Material. Very interesting!

Aha, Armenia!
It fits the country and its spiritual heritage perfectly, as the struggle between the Eagle and the Lion is one of the most interesting Hermetic symbols: the struggle between Man's conflicting natures, Spiritual and Material. Very interesting!

[post="55872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

hmmm, never knew/thought of all that stuff. I just use it because I'm Armenian. :unsure:

It just looks alright to me (not a fan of the front) but I like how it looks so much more aggressive than the Mustang. In a way it looks like Ford designed the new Mustang to appear as if it's sad, knowing that a dominatrix-like Camaro was being planned.

hmmm, never knew/thought of all that stuff.  I just use it because I'm Armenian.  :unsure:

[post="55874"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I had a Law Professor that is Past Grand Master of the Regular Legal Grand Lodge of Portugal, and he turned me on to stuff like Religious/Spiritual symbolism.

The Armenian branch of Christianity is one of the tings I'd like to learn more about when I get the chance. Also, SOAD rule!

Now back to Camaro - don't want to hijack the thread :AH-HA_wink:
I have a couple of questions for you guys: should there be a base model with a V6? Or have a cheaper 5.3L V8 (an RS model for example) and a 6.0L V8 for a Z28/SS? Edited by ZL-1

I had a Law Professor that is Past Grand Master of the Regular Legal Grand Lodge of Portugal, and he turned me on to stuff like Religious/Spiritual symbolism.

The Armenian branch of Christianity is one of the tings I'd like to learn more about when I get the chance. Also, SOAD rule!

[post="55899"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

cool... yeah, SOAD kicks ass.

I have a couple of questions for you guys: should there be a base model with a V6? Or have a cheaper 5.3L V8 (an RS model for example) and a 6.0L V8 for a Z28/SS?

I think there should be 3 maybe 4 levels of performance (engines), from V6 to the best V8 the 'Vette guys will allow.

Like I've said before, and the recent photos have shown...  the Camaro (concept) would make any mustang driver (even those diehard mustang/ford dorks, which lots of mustang drivers are) regret ever making the purchase!  So, who cares about a lead in market share when you are the only one out there.

Nice stereotypes. I don't think I've ever met a "dorky" Mustang driver before...just like I've never met a "mullet head" Camaro driver before.

For the record, I love the new Camaro...but by the time Chevy actually comes out with it, the Mustang will probably be gearing up for another redesign.

Nice stereotypes.  I don't think I've ever met a "dorky" Mustang driver before...just like I've never met a "mullet head" Camaro driver before.

For the record, I love the new Camaro...but by the time Chevy actually comes out with it, the Mustang will probably be gearing up for another redesign.

[post="55916"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah... i know it's a stereotype. Maybe dorky wasn't a good choice to describe them, but over the years I have found a common thread with most male mustang drivers. I came to this conclusion a couple years ago after observing many friends/acquaintances with mustangs, and going to a few ford only car shows.

This isn't necessarily a "bad" stereotype I am trying to establish, just things i've picked up...

I am a Mustang Driver, and I am not sorry nor do I regret my purchase, but I am delighted that GM is bringing back the Camaro, the Mustang has never been the same since it lost the chance to eat Camaros for lunch. Now that the Camaro is coming back the Mustang will eat once again!!! Edited by RCD

I am a Mustang Driver, and I am not sorry nor do I regret my purchase, but I am delighted that GM is bringing back the Camaro, the Mustang has never been the same since it lost the chance to eat Camaros for lunch. Now that the Camaro is coming back the Mustang will eat once again!!!

[post="55979"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, Eat spent rubber peeling off Camaro tires while trailing behind...
schmustangs-pppfh.

I am a Mustang Driver, and I am not sorry nor do I regret my purchase, but I am delighted that GM is bringing back the Camaro, the Mustang has never been the same since it lost the chance to eat Camaros for lunch. Now that the Camaro is coming back the Mustang will eat once again!!!

Not once have I lost a race to a mustang of my Camaro's vintage.

If we have to wait untill 2010 to see a production Camaro than GM has it's head up its @$$. I think it's very likely a MY 2008 car in CY 2007 will happen.

I have a couple of questions for you guys: should there be a base model with a V6? Or have a cheaper 5.3L V8 (an RS model for example) and a 6.0L V8 for a Z28/SS?

[post="55899"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm guessing...

3.9 V6 in base (250/250)
5.3 V8 in Z/28 (325/325)
6.0 V8 in SS (375/400)

And if there's a LE ZL1 (I so wish there will be one but I'm HIGHLY doubtful):
7.0 V8 (525/525)

Not once have I lost a race to a mustang of my Camaro's vintage.

[post="55992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Meet me in Detroit there is a first time for everything, But I am still inspired by the comeback of muscle cars, and even more so the Camaro, the Mustang-Camaro Rivalry is as important as the University of Michigan - Ohio State rivalry, but even more so.

The 02 LS1 could beat an 06GT. Only the Cobra, with its' price premium and not very livable everyday road manners could beat it, and if the same money was spent on both cars it also would lose. Why is it all Mustang owners tend to have such grand illusions about their cars? I, too, have never lost a race to a Mustang. I would love to come up there and give ya a run and I'll even let you pick the car out of my sig. I'd recommend the firebird as it is the slowest, but I'll tweak it a bit just for you. The LeMans would just embarass you and losing to a big fat Catalina with that cute little chick car would force you to hide your face forever.

The 02 LS1 could beat an 06GT. Only the Cobra, with its' price premium and not very livable everyday road manners could beat it, and if the same money was spent on both cars it also would lose. Why is it all Mustang owners tend to have such grand illusions about their cars? I, too, have never lost a race to a Mustang. I would love to come up there and give ya a run and I'll even let you pick the car out of my sig. I'd recommend the firebird as it is the slowest, but I'll tweak it a bit just for you. The LeMans would just embarass you and losing to a big fat Catalina with that cute little chick car would force you to hide your face forever.

[post="56483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do have a Cobra, it and its road manners are very livable, and it awaits the new Camaro with great anticipation !!! please bring your choice of rides to detroit it would be fun. Edited by RCD

This is why us Camaro drivers cannot stand you Mustang drivers.

I have a damn BASE '98 Camaro, intake and exhaust done (and on pretty crappy tires) and I still smoked a mid-90s GT. PLEASE! Edited by NOS2006

This is why us Camaro drivers cannot stand you Mustang drivers.

I have a damn BASE '98 Camaro, intake and exhaust done (and on pretty crappy tires) and I still smoked a mid-90s GT. PLEASE!

[post="56523"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

late 90's Camaro to an older Mustang, possible. Did the GT have a stick, was the GT in gear, did it have a driver that knew how to drive, did it have a driver at all. These are important questions I would have about your race with the GT.
I think it is more probable that Camaro drivers hate Mustang Drivers more due to the fact That Mustang Drivers can still buy Mustangs, and Camaro drivers will have to hold their breath till 2009.
I on the other hand, do not hate Camaros or their drivers and I am sincere when I say I really want the Camaro back....The Mustang can not last forever when it is in a class of its own, and regardless if the Mustang meets the Camaro or the Camaro meets the Mustang, both drivers will have fun. So if you are either a fan of the Mustang or Camaro buy it (Camaro drivers will have a little wait). Atleast they are both American. Lets face facts I would much rather race a new Camaro than any vehicle that consumes rice for fuel, I know I don't want to waste my time on the track. Edited by RCD

who cares about the engine line up? the camaro is coming back, v6 of v8, hell it can have 36 cylinders, i just want the camaro 2 come back!!!

[post="56085"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Err.................. Would you buy a 70-hp diesel Opel Corsa 2-door if Chevy named it the new Camaro?

Holy damn!!! I just tracked down the pics on a 'stang forum all I can say is...thats a sexy beast. Can't wait to see some clearer/highres pics from the show. Its a good time to be a fan of muscle cars. :lol: Lets pray they get it out quick. // c0ld_phuz10n

late 90's Camaro to an older Mustang, possible. Did the GT have a stick, was the GT in gear, did it have a driver that knew how to drive, did it have a driver at all. These are important questions I would have about your race with the GT.
I think it is more probable that Camaro drivers hate Mustang Drivers more due to the fact That Mustang Drivers can still buy Mustangs, and Camaro drivers will have to hold their breath till 2009.
I on the other hand, do not hate Camaros or their drivers and I am sincere when I say I really want the Camaro back....The Mustang can not last forever when it is in a class of its own, and regardless if the Mustang meets the Camaro or the Camaro meets the Mustang, both drivers will have fun. So if you are either a fan of the Mustang or Camaro buy it (Camaro drivers will have a little wait). Atleast they are both American. Lets face facts I would much rather race a new Camaro than any vehicle that consumes rice for fuel, I know I don't want to waste my time on the track.

[post="56547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I appreciate you caring for the Camaro, but one-on-one, the Camaro has always been quicker (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm not counting the Cobras because those are SVT variants.

And, seriously, I'm not jealous. I like the looks of the new 'Stang and I have a Camaro of my own. No jealousy from me.

The GT seemed like an auto, but I didn't see it with my eyes. Neither of us revved before starting.. it was a green light.. nail the accelerator. Edited by NOS2006

I appreciate you caring for the Camaro, but one-on-one, the Camaro has always been quicker (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm not counting the Cobras because those are SVT variants.

And, seriously, I'm not jealous. I like the looks of the new 'Stang and I have a Camaro of my own. No jealousy from me.

The GT seemed like an auto, but I didn't see it with my eyes. Neither of us revved before starting.. it was a green light.. nail the accelerator.

[post="57484"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I will be the first to admit that the GT of the Mid 90's had some problems, however not counting the Cobra because it was SVT would be comparable to not counting the Camaro SS because it was SLP tuned.
I hope that GM has the business smarts to involve SLP in the new Camaro when it comes on line.
It is still hard to imagine GM without a Camaro, and it is just as difficult to imagine a Camaro line without the SS.
As far as the Camaro always being faster than the Mustang, shall I remind you of the restricted 3rd gens. However if the world can forgive Ford for the Mustang II and the King Cobra, then GM can be forgiven for taming down their third Gens for emmissions and fuel sake. Edited by RCD

After all, as immature as the Camaro's appeal may be to some, the car is curiously – nay, thoroughly – worthwhile. Expect more ink on these pages as things progress.

Congratulations, Camaro, and welcome back; we've missed you.

What a great article... wow. Three :cheers: !

The last sentence says it all! :)