CR Tests Mazda5, Vibe, PT Cruiser, and HHR

bobo

The current issue of Consumer Reports tests tall wagons. Here's their overall ratings of tall wagons:

1. Mazda5 Touring
2. Ford Focus wagon ZXW SE (recommended)
3. Pontiac Vibe (FWD) (recommended)
4. Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 (recommended)
5. Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS (V6) (recommended)
6. Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited (turbo) (recommended)
7. Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (recommended)
8. Chevrolet HHR LT (2.4)
9. Scion xB (recommended)

Excerpts:

Mazda5: The Mazda5 is a microvan that possesses almost all the advantages of a traditional minivan yet is more agile, maneuverable, economical, and affordable. It has flexible, three-row seating for six people. Even with a navigation system, it costs less than $23,000.

The powertrain is relatively refined and responsive but could be more powerful. The Mazda5 was recalled for a potential exhaust fire this fall. We cannot yet predict reliability for this new model.

Pontiac Vibe: The Pontiac Vibe and its twin, the Toyota Matrix, are tall wagons based on the Toyota Corolla. The Vibe's compact dimensions, versatile interior, and good fuel economy make it a handy, nimble, economical runabout. However, a flawed driving position and a boomy engine detract. The Vibe is the only vehicle in this group available with all-wheel-drive. It has been very reliable.

The 130-hp four-cylinder provides adequate acceleration but is noisy. The well-calibrated, four-speed automatic transmission downshifts energetically and makes the Vibe feel responsive. The wagon returned an impressive 27 mpg, the best of this group.

The Vibe's interior is well-constructed, with attractively grained hard plastics. The headliner and visors feel a bit cheap, though.

Most drivers found the steering wheel too far away. The steering wheel tilts but does not telescope. The small rear-window, large rear head restraints, and tapered side windows obscure rear visibility.

Chrysler PT Cruiser: The PT Cruiser's interior versatility and ease of access make it a practical choice. With the midlevel turbocharged engine, our test vehicle achieved the best acceleration in this group. But the steering felt slow and handling was secure but not agile.

Some controls have improved over previous versions, but outward visibility, a wide turning circle, and limited rear cargo space remain problems. Reliability has been good.

Chevrolet HHR: The Chevrolet HHR shares many of the shortcomings of the PT Cruiser, because of its throwback styling. But it has more usable cargo room behind the rear seat. It provides easy access but is marred by a confined diver's space, awkward controls, and unimpressive fit and finish. The engine is unrefined, and the transmission is not responsive. We don't have reliability data for this new model.

The ride is steady on the highway but a bit rough at low speeds. Road and wind noise are suppressed, but engine noise is pronounced.

Handling is secure but not agile. The steering is too light and lacks feedback. In our avoidance maneuver, a tendency for the rear to slide out limited driver confidence. The turning circle is a wide 41 feet.

The optional 172-hp 2.4-liter four-cylinder delivered good acceleration in our track tests and respectable 23-mpg overall fuel economy. The four-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly, but unresponsive downshifts and tall gearing make the HHR feel lethargic in normal driving.

The brakes had unimpressive stopping distances. Headlight distances are good overall, but the low beams have a sharp cutoff that reduces visibility over dips.

Most interior materials are good, but wide panel gaps and visible mold lines detract from the fit and finish. Even with the driver's seat fully lowered, the head room is limited for average-height drivers. The large steering wheel tilts but does not telescope, so some drivers couldn't find a comfortable driving position.

The front seats provide good support, but the head restraint was annoyingly close to some driver's heads. With the door closed, seat controls are difficult to access. The rear seats two adults comfortably, but three are cramped. The rear cushion is too flat. Access is easy in both front and rear.

Controls are confusing and hard to see, especially the power window switches that are mounted on the center console in front of the shifter. The low-mounted rear-wiper switch is not on the stalk.

Interior storage is limited. The light shining onto the center console is too bright and can't be dimmed. A flimsy compartment on top of the dashboard is difficult to open. there are only three cup holders. To its credit, the easy-to-use radio has an input for MP3-players.

Like the Vibe and PT Cruiser, the HHR's cargo floor and rear seatbacks are covered in a hard plastic material. The front passenger seat folds for longer cargo. The HHR holds 29.5 cubic feet of cargo with the 60/40 seats folded.

It strikes me as odd that the HHR has such a cramped interior. Every review complains about it.

[post="55723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It IS cramped......attractive? Sure.....but cramped.

I think the narrow windows and low roofline really contribute to the feeling......

Personally, I think they are all decent vehicles except Vibe/Matrix. I've never been impressed by them when I've driven them.

Didn't they stop selling the 5 because it was randomly catching on fire?

[post="55759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Mazda5 was recalled for a potential exhaust fire this fall.

THen, right after that sentence, they say this:

We cannot yet predict reliability for this new model

That one made me laugh.

Personally, I think they are all decent vehicles except Vibe/Matrix.  I've never been impressed by them when I've driven them.

[post="55754"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's probably due to the hillarious powertrain matchups, with the weakest engine in the heaviest (AWD) model.

How does the Mazda5 finish 1rst, but is not recommended?

And I would agree that the HHR has a cramped interior.  When I took one for a test drive I really felt closed in.  Other than that I thiought it was a decent vehicle.

[post="55758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Mazda5 is not recommended yet because it's a first-year model. On brands with stellar reliability records, CR normally gives a pass and recommends the vehicle. If the Mazda5 has average or better reliability for a year, they'll recommend it next year.

As for the Vibe, the base engine is gutless. The high performance engine requires revving to about 5000 rpm before it starts to scoot, and that's not something that you normally do on a wagon.

I thought the HHR would show better in this comparision, but it's true that the vehicle is not very roomy. I have only a few complaints about the vehicle--the tiny gauges and lack of a cargo cover, but I could deal with all the compromises because of the low cost.

Last night on one of the cable channels I watched a Canadian show called Car Business, sponsored by the Globe and Mail guys. They drove the Mazda 3, the PT and the Matrix. What I found the most interesting is that never once did they mention the Vibe, nor the Matrix's GM roots. They concluded that the Mazda 3 was an amazing vehicle and that the PT was the best "deal" - it got the lowest marks, naturally. The bias with all of these types of shows that I have seen is how easily they dismiss the anemic 1.8 litre engine in the Matrix by saying, oh, but it is a TOYOTA engine. I have never seen an article on any domestic vehicle that hasn't made many comparisons to a "better" import, yet when reviewing an import they rarely mention domestic competition. It is the predictablity of these shows/competitions that is becoming tedious.