What Era of Automobiles is your Favorite?

capriceman

What is your Favorite Automobile Era?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite Automobile Era?

• The Automotive past
    • 1910's
    • 1920's
    • 1930's
    • 1940's
    • 1950's
    • 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's
    • The Automotive future

you may add pics or what ever to suport your era! Its that I wonder since some like the classics, others the 50's steel lovein floaters, or the 60's muscle, and to the modern high HP family sedans.

My favorite will always be the Automotive Future. I like how you put that, by the way, because it doesn't specify a certain year (2010) or even a certain time from which to look into the future (ex: "today's" view of the future), rather simply a coalescence of the hopes, the aspirations, the wonderment of what the 'future' held for all generations of automobile dreamers.

For me, I'll always want a future automobile, perhaps the Moller Skycar...
Posted Image

the Cadillac Voyage...
Posted Image

an intertial balancing car like the Ford Gyron...
Posted Image

maybe the ahead-of-its-time Dymaxion...
Posted Image

or my favorite future car of all time, the 1956 Buick Centurion...
Posted Image

[img]http://www.moller.com/news/hoverstills/nextfest.jpg/[img]

Thats a cool car/helicoter thing to me.

Yeah you could look at the "future" as what they saw it as in the 50's with like the Firebird concepts.

I like the 70 chevelle but there are great cars from the 70's like the Ventura :P but they are not all bad i liked the pontiacs the best in the 70's but the cars that ruined the 70's are chevtte gremlin pacer and similar ones.

I have favorites in every era.....too confining to narrow it down to one specific time in automotive history. I checked off the cars of today.

My two favorites from the '60s:
Cadillac Eldorado
Posted Image
Corvette
Posted Image

My favorite of today is:

Corvette:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

While I really should have chosen the 60s, I chose the 80s. Even though the 80s is considered to be the lowpoint for car design, there's something about certain cars from that era that really catches my eye. The space-age Trans Am and Corvette that came out in the early 80s, the angular Fox body Mustangs, the notchback Cutlass Surpeme and Monte Carlo personal coupes with the opera windows, and the B-body Caprice Classic with its tapering trunk and six square taillights. There were certainly some crap boxes from that era, but it was also the era before the big switch to the FWD disposable tupperware of the early 90s. I'd rank the 90s as my least favorite decade...jellybean styling, aero headlights that yellowed easily, plastic body-colored grilles that looked like something from K-mart, and just a general boring quality about cars. There were some like the Aurora, Thunderbird, and Impala SS that really stood out, but for every one of those there were 10 times as many Cirruses, oval Tauruses, Caravans, and Cavaliers littering the roads.

I like the early 70's cars Joe but they couldnt be my pick not with the Domestic and Italian cars of the 60's.

Its hard for me to pick between the 50's and 60's as well but so much stuff was happening during those post WWII times. All the varity and continous change was awsome, it will never be repeated.

for road cars as in not ultimate muscle cars or racy sports cars these are my picks

American car my pick 66/67 Riviera
Italian car my pick 330 GT 2+2

this is actually a later 365 GTC the 2+2 had a nicer front than the GTC or GTS but this is the side view of a C the 2+2 was a bit longer and had lower fender vent. The 330 cars ran from '60-'67
Posted Image

Edited by razoredge

Man, this was a tough poll. There are cars from every era that I like. The current cars are certainly the best from a technological and reliability standpoint--I mean, it wasn't that long ago that you'd expect to be overhauling your engine at 60,000 miles (or at least it doesn't seem that long ago to me). I started thinking about what cars I'd want in a collection (if I could afford to have one). Most of them fell into the 1950s or early- to mid-1960s. Some of my favorites include: 1951-'54 Hudson Hornet 1956 DeSoto Adventurer 1957 Plymouth Fury (instead of the '58 "Christine") 1952-'54 "Mexican road race" Lincolns 1949-'52, or 1955-'56 Chevy 1957 Rambler Rebel 1963-'65 Buick Riviera 1966-'67 Plymouth Satellite 1955 Imperial 1965 Olds Starfire 1961-'62 Chevy "bubble top" 2-door hardtops 1931-'33 Chrysler Imperial 1975-1980 AMC Pacer (no, I'm not kidding!) 1978 AMC Gremlin GT (again, I'm not kidding!) 1969-'70 Pontiac Grand Prix 1956 Mercury Montclair hardtop On edit: forgot the 1971-'73 boattail Riviera! And the list goes on and on... Needless to say, my tastes ain't exactly mainstream. Edited by NeonLX

I voted '50s, thos to be true my favorite 'decade' would be '56-65. But like Harley, I appreciate cars from nearly all eras. Future stuff will always interest me, tho the trends in the present & where the future is undoubtedly going are depressing...

[post="55659"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I voted 1960s but it was a toss-up between 50s and 60s.

If I had to pick a decade I'd go with 1959-1969. IN the future if my dreams of a car collection come into fruition 95% of the cars I'll have will be from 1957-1971. From the '57 Fury to the '71 Boat Tail and all the greatest hits in between.

The era of Muscle Cars, hardtops, tailfins, chrome & lower-longer-wider designs. Cowl Induction & Stingrays, Widetrack and tri-power, Unibody RE, Air-cooled pancake six powered Chevys and flexible-driveshaft, rear mounted trans. posi-track Pontiacs. Split windows & Boat Tails, Ram air and Trans Am racing, Acid Dipped Mopars and big block Ford motors in petite European roadsters, Aluminum engines and aluminim fenders, Pony Cars and Personal Luxury Coupes... you get the point.

If I'm really loaded I'll have a few 1930s classics. V16 Cadillac(s), a Deusenberg or two, Packard, Auburn, Bugatti, Pierce Arrow, Cord & Lincoln etc.

Yes, I'm a picky bastard. B)

As much as I like old cars, the current generation is the best ever made. For example, when was the Corvette better? What modern car doesn't pollute less, get better gas mileage, and have more power than its direct decendents? Packaging and (arguably) styling has improved. Handling and braking have definitely improved. Today's cars are the best.

Great post guys, awsome cars too. I like the 80's as well Vips but it just cant 1 up the sixtys for me, but thats when I was growing up, sometimes I think that inspiration pulls strongest, the young one. Also great points about the level of engineering today. Our road cars are getting the power of yesteryears HO cars running 87 Octane, better milage, awsome durability, low maintainence, turn key automobiles. Compared to how choked down cars became with changes in the 70's, now power has climbed back up {per cube}. So this is how we have come to today. To bad that styling frontier was closed by the mid 70's. Theres still creativity but...

I'm with sixtyeight: '59-'69 ran the gamut with some of the sleekest or meanest looking American cars of all time. My favorites: '59 anything '69 Chrysler 300 '65 T-bird '67 Pontiac Parisienne (Canada only, I think) '65 Ford Galaxy '61 Caddy

Well I don't know what to say... Not "the past" because I don't like anything (well, not MUCH) from the '50s back. Only a few cars I like from the '60s, but they came out from '67-69. '70s? Some of them lacked looks, every single one lacked power. '80s was good on some parts, terrible on others. Same with the '90s. The '00 are good for some automakers, but seemingly bad for the Big three, who should be back on their feet by '08 So I'm going to go with the '10 era. :P

To really be truthful there is a little of each in my blood. I will instead try to list which ones I would buy if I had lots of money I have the 1981 Bonneville. 1977-79 Chevrolet Impala 1971-76 Chevrolet Impala or Caprice 4-door hardtop 1969-70 Chevrolet Bel-Air or MAYBE an Impala 1978-80 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1980-84 Buick Park Avenue. 1976-79 Dodge Aspen 2-door Special Edition 1978 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28 1980-87 Chevrolet Caprice 2-door 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LTZ My current Chevrolet Equinox.

So sad for the 90's, no one picked. Engines and systems got much better. GM had some nice cars in my opinion. Sure their all FWD but lets make the best of it. The Seville SLS/STS was the most handsome car. Aurora was very interesting, kinda racy or futuristic and unique Riviera was the prettiest car from GM, yet, my opinion of course, I know some dont like it but I think it might be, because its kinda perty and not "manly" Eldorado was love or hate unique, kinda edgy, full fastback, excellent taillamps, also with others packin GM's most advanced engine GP - may have been the nicest of the FWD GP's, there all kinda cool I think. The recent car has grown on me now that I adjusted. Camaro - eh, kinda, sorta, maybe, engines were getting better, it just lost the edge in styling PA, Regency & Deville were quite the luxury rides Olds LSS & Bonneville SSEi were packing some sleeper performance in a luxury package Aurora DOHC engine dominates IRL for a few years {Im weak on the stats, sorry} Aurora body itself in a tube frame, with RWD, 4 litre IRL Aurora engine was very successful 2 Aurora Indy pace cars ! BRAVO ! Lincoln Mark VIII Loved the look of the Thunderbirds, never even sat in one though then there the finer European cars The 90's gets much approval from me, it just doesnt over rule any other generation.

yo Vips, I think Im going to have to start calling you Rice :)

Some of them I dont like much, they all have good to great points but I dont think they come together well, the rear quarter ridge in the Skyline doesnt fit my eye, wings make it hard for me to evaluate from that angle especially. The Z with the wedge front {red car} I didnt like because to me it was a corruption of the origional, a step back rather than different. Its nice enough though. What model was that called ?

What about the 3000GT ? I think they came together nice.

What car is this ? I get confused :blink: 300ZX or is that the red one ? I like these, but in this pic it looks high and not so crafted somehow.

Posted Image

Edited by razoredge

yo Vips, I think Im going to have to start calling you Rice  :)

Some of them I dont like much, they all have good to great points but I dont think they come together well, the rear quarter ridge in the Skyline doesnt fit my eye, wings make it hard for me to evaluate from that angle especially. The Z with the wedge front {red car} I didnt like because to me it was a corruption of the origional, a step back rather than different. Its nice enough though. What model was that called ?

What about the 3000GT ? I think they came together nice.

What car is this ? I get confused  :blink: 300ZX or is that the red one ? I like these, but in this pic it looks high and not so crafted somehow.

[post="56723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Rice is different than just Japanese. :D

I'm not a fan the 3000GT or any Mitsubishi other than Lancer EVOs and earlier Eclipses.

Anyways, that car is a 300ZX and the red one is as well, just the previous one. I agree that it doesn't look good in that pic... but it's better than anything else I found as they were riced out or such. Ugh...

Absolutely untrue!

[post="57110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's the way it seems to me.. which ones didn't? Wasn't this the start of the power numbers going WAY down?

[post="57115"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, it was, but there are always exceptions... That and it's only one's perception. :P

Before I even noticed you post Z28 I was goignt ot say "Look it's a Honda Catera" :P

I first noticed this a few years ago.

Posted Image

In chronological order:

1959 Buick Electra 225 Ragtop

Posted Image

1959 Pontiac Starchief

Posted Image

1959 Dodge

Posted Image

1959 Plymouth

Posted Image

1959 DeSoto Firedome

Posted Image

1960 Oldsmobile

Posted Image

1960 Dodge Phoenix

Posted Image

1961 Cadillac

Posted Image

1961 Chevrolet Impala (sorry, I couldn't resist this photo :P )

Posted Image

1961 Lincoln Continental

Posted Image

1963 Chevrolet Impala

Posted Image

1963 Pontiac Grand Prix

Posted Image

1963 Corvette Sting Ray Split Window

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

and moving on.... this car changed it all:

1964 Pontiac GTO

Posted Image

1964.5 Mustang

Posted Image

1964 Buick Riviera

Posted Image

1964 Plymouth Barracuda

Posted Image

1965 Chevy Impala Ragtop

Posted Image

1965 Mercury Montclair

Posted Image

1965 Chrysler Newport

Posted Image

1966 Dodge Charger

Posted Image

1966 Chevy Corvair

Posted Image

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Posted Image

1967 Camaro

Posted Image

1967 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

Posted Image

1967 Cadillac Eldorado

Posted Image

1967 Mercury Cougar

Posted Image

1967 Cadillac HEARSE

Posted Image

1968 Pontiac Firebird

Posted Image

1968 Dodge Charger

Posted Image

1968 Oldsmobile 442

Posted Image

1968 Buick Electra

Posted Image

1969 Corvette Stingray

Posted Image

1969 Plymouth Barracuda

Posted Image

1969 Mercury Cougar

Posted Image

1969 Pontiac GTO

Posted Image

1969 Cadillac Fleetwood

Posted Image

1969 Camaro

Posted Image

1969 Camaro

Posted Image

and one more... :P

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

[quote name='NOS2006' date='Dec 11 2005, 09:48 PM']
Absolutely untrue!

[post="57110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

That's the way it seems to me.. which ones didn't? Wasn't this the start of the power numbers going WAY down?

[post="57115"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[/quote]

73 & 74 SD455 Formula and TransAm for one. These are considered the very last of the muscle cars even though technically they were pony cars. This was Detroit's last gasp before the stranglehold that emissions requirements took over. The horsepower started dropping in anticipation of the 75 law changes with milder camshafts as early as 73, but it was the advent of catalytic converters that truly crippled the horsepower of the muscle era. Somehow Pontiac got the SD cars through the corporate spider web and around certain GM edicts that made them truly against GM rules.

Additionally, don't forget the beautiful Cudas and Challengers with Hemis, the GTO Judges, etc. although they all disappeared before 73.

Ahhhhhhhh, the good old days.

As far as the 70s being a good era, there was some good styling, I particularly liked the 74 GP and the Eldo, but due to horribly anemic engines that had a nasty predisposition to knock every time you hit the gas, the whole decade is but a bad memory for me.

Look its Richie Cunningham doing a burnout in a 67/68 Mustang !

[post="57390"][/post]

You're fired Razor! :P

It's Steve McQueen from the chase sceene through San Francisco in the movie "Bullit".

You know with the sinister black 1968 Charger that looses 7 hubcaps in the chase and ends up in a fireball explosion.

Posted Image

1965 Mercury Montclair
Posted Image

[post="57306"][/post]

I'm sorry, but from that drawing, that car looks goofy as hell. Weird grille proportions and Volvo-blockiness.

And thank you for not posting any pictures of '58 Lincolns. I would've had to kill you for causing retina damage.

Hmmm... For styling and design, my favorite decades are the '60s, '70s (early), '90s, and today. For driving enjoyment and creature comforts, the '90s and today, definitely. Edited by moltar