Word is that the Monte might....

capriceman

I was talking to a insider and they might be giving the Monte Carlo the boot. And replace it with what you ask? A Sports coupe that is in "Design and Test Stage", So the Camaro might be out of the question. Getting info was really hard since His/Her job might be at risk but, i got permission to say this from them. The Drive train is most likly a RWD to AWD. But FWD may be chossen. Power train will either be a V6 standard most likely the 3.9 i think that will push 250 HP. with optional I5 engine. But a "SS" or "GTP" Package. will have a V8 to push from 375 to 425 hp. If FWD is chossen a 310 horsepower 5.3 will most likey be a the engine. Trans will be 5 speed auto standard 5-6 speed manual or even talk about a 6 auto. Why "GTP" you ask? It will be Shared with Pontiac mostliky to keep it the "excitement" group. Names? I threw old names out left and right but one name made him/her looked shocked that i broght up...... "Ventura" I think i said it was a Pontiac in the late 60- late 70's I think. DON'T QUOTE ME IF THIS IS TRUE OR THIS MAN/WOMAN IS JUST SETTING MIRRORS AND SMOKE But Speculation is always nice. Especialy if it contains RWD and V8 and Sports Coupe. Let the replies role with some thoughts about this.

Why would the Camaro be out of question? 4 years from now would be 2009, A.K.A. the rumored year the Camaro is to be out. And the Camaro should be at a design and test stage right now if '09 is the expected year (and it would probably come out in EARLY '08 if this is true). And C&G first reported the Camaro may have an AWD option; another thing to think about. 375-425 HP Chevy sports coupe with a good V6? Camaro!

I was talking to a insider and they might be giving the Monte Carlo the boot.

They did that in 1988.

The Drive train is most likly a RWD to AWD. But FWD may be chossen.

Well, a RWD replacement would be a slap in the face to Monte Carlo enthusiasts.....

But Speculation is always nice.

That depends. It was "speculated" that the 2000 and up version of the Monte Carlo would be RWD, but sadly, that isn't the case.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

well if it can fit a V8 like a LS2... Im sure it can fit a I5. they breifly said that its like for people who want low insurance and dont need speed and for Gas efficiency.

well if it can fit a V8 like a LS2... Im sure it can fit a I5. they breifly said that its like for people who want low insurance and dont need speed and for Gas efficiency.

[post="55574"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know.. I couldn't see my car fitting a I5, but it could fit an 8...

I asked them yesterday and they replied with "Well we think we can cram it in there"..........."A 4 Cylinder would be to demeaning to a car like this." .......later Commented " We dont want these cars to be slow since the v6 mustangs cover the decent looking slow as Hell demeaning to name.........Besides the I5 or similar engine will have enough torque to at least get those wheels spinin" and for the group they are going for likes spinn wheels. so who knows. they might go with a 4 but then I ask why?

Hey GM: get a fu*king clue: Monte Carlo name ---- GOOD FWD transverse mounted engined coupe ---- BAD! so therefore: RWD V8 Monte Carlo ---- VERY GOOD!!!

Hey GM: get a fu*king clue:

Monte Carlo name ---- GOOD

FWD transverse mounted engined coupe ---- BAD!
so therefore:

RWD V8 Monte Carlo ---- VERY GOOD!!!

[post="56288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You support the Camaro but want a RWD V8 Monte. There's no room for both!

True, but if you want bigger, they're coming with a RWD Sedan too. There'd be too much overlap. Not "direct" overlap, but you see what I'm saying? RWD Camaro, slightly larger RWD sedan, and you still have the Pontiacs that fit in similar categories.

There better be a GTO.. and if not; atleast a Firebird. GM makes me weep, sometimes. The future looks bleak even though griffon says it's not being killed. I haven't been sure what Pontiac is going to get for a while now... :( :) (<-- throwback to MC...) Oh.. what? This is a thread about the Monte Carlo. Whoops, sorry about the rant. Haha... but this sounds interesting.

They can only actually sell so many RWD V8 coupes. Why do you think the Monte went FWD to begin with? As much as some people hate to admit it, it isnt' 1973 anymore, we dont need a full line of RWD land barges with huge V8s. The coupe market it pretty dry anyways, the only reason the Mustang sells is because its the Mustang. One RWD coupe an one FWD coupe should be enough.

They can only actually sell so many RWD V8 coupes.  Why do you think the Monte went FWD to begin with?  As much as some people hate to admit it, it isnt' 1973 anymore, we dont need a full line of RWD land barges with huge V8s.  The coupe market it pretty dry anyways, the only reason the Mustang sells is because its the Mustang.  One RWD coupe an one FWD coupe should be enough.

[post="56580"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The coupe market sucks because NOBODY SELLS ONE!

My dad was in the market for a new, cheap American coupe and there were only a few. The Mustang and, oh wait, that's all. None from GM. None from Chrysler/Dodge. And he won't buy a Ford.

When we did have 8,000 coupes on the market nobody bought them.  Remember when there was a coupe version of every car on the market?  They weren't worth it to the companies.

[post="56595"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, I don't remember that.

But I can hypothesize the rate of overlap. And I bet it was humongous.

GM makes me weep, sometimes.

*chuckles*

They've made me weep since 1988 ... and then downright sob in pain 1995-present.

He he heh...irony rocks.

"I can’t take anymore" ... 3rd Eye Blind ... 'How's It Going To Be'

They can only actually sell so many RWD V8 coupes.  Why do you think the Monte went FWD to begin with?  As much as some people hate to admit it, it isnt' 1973 anymore, we dont need a full line of RWD land barges with huge V8s.  The coupe market it pretty dry anyways, the only reason the Mustang sells is because its the Mustang.  One RWD coupe an one FWD coupe should be enough.

[post="56580"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree fully with the above statement. It isnt 1973. I have to wonder if a RWD Monte Carlo would even sell better than the current FWD one. Like I have said before the Monte Carlo couldnt stay the same forever. It had to change to stay with the times. Maybe though RWD is feasable now with the advances made sinve the last one in 1988. MAYBE. Does GM want to spend a pile of money on something that could be a very iffy project? A solution I thought of is keep the current Monte Carlo but remane it something else maybe even the Impala coupe and make a RWD Monte Carlo and a Camaro off the same platform but make them different in respect to their names. The Monte Carlo being the longer wider one being able to seat 4 people comfortably. The Camaro being shorter and being a 2+2.

I think Camaro And trans Am RWD Monte Carlo and GTO coupe RWD Then Caprice and a WTH a Catalina (Pontiac) RWD Impala and GP FWD wiht optional V8 Other Buick Regal GNX V6 Turbo Covers all four bases What do you think?

I cant find the other pic I found but lost. It was a Caprice on top of a smashed civic in a accident it looked funny as Hell. but yeah it is to much but many chocies is always good it brings buyers that are looking at that and maybe going to somthing elese of theres.

I think

Camaro And trans Am  RWD
Monte Carlo and GTO coupe RWD
Then Caprice and a WTH a Catalina (Pontiac) RWD
Impala and GP FWD wiht optional V8

Other Buick Regal GNX V6 Turbo

Covers all four bases

What do you think?

[post="56690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That could work too.

Hey GM: get a fu*king clue:

Monte Carlo name ---- GOOD

FWD transverse mounted engined coupe ---- BAD!
so therefore:

RWD V8 Monte Carlo ---- VERY GOOD!!!

[post="56288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Once again.....GM has bastardized a treasured nameplate.....

It all started with the two-door Lumina that they called "Monte Carlo" and ended up with the current generation (and the "new" '06) that is a haphazardly-designed, bulbous, oversized excuse for a midsize personal coupe.

I was talking to a insider and they might be giving the Monte Carlo the boot. And replace it with what you ask?

A Sports coupe that is in "Design and Test Stage", So the Camaro might be out of the question.

Getting info was really hard since His/Her job might be at risk but, i got permission to say this from them.

The Drive train is most likly a RWD to AWD. But FWD may be chossen.

Power train will either be a V6 standard most likely the 3.9 i think that will push 250 HP. with optional I5 engine. But a "SS" or "GTP" Package. will have a V8 to push from 375 to 425 hp. If FWD is chossen a 310 horsepower 5.3 will most likey be a the engine.
Trans will be 5 speed auto standard 5-6 speed manual or even talk about a 6 auto.

Why "GTP" you ask? It will be Shared with Pontiac mostliky to keep it the "excitement" group.

Names? I threw old names out left and right but one name made him/her looked shocked that i broght up......

"Ventura" I think i said it was a Pontiac in the late 60- late 70's I think.

DON'T QUOTE ME IF THIS IS TRUE OR THIS MAN/WOMAN IS JUST SETTING MIRRORS AND SMOKE

But Speculation is always nice.

Especialy if it contains RWD and V8 and Sports Coupe.

Let the replies role with some thoughts about this.

[post="55401"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

our GM rep has told us that the Monte Carlo and the Impala will be gone after 2008 and replaced by a new sedan, 2dr coupe and convertible, wouldn't say what model.

Why can't we have both. Are coupes selling so badly that Chevy and Pontiac can only have one or two? If they made a good coupe then it would sell better. The current Monte Carlo annoys on so many counts. It's interior is 85% carried over with the Impalas center stack, floor shifter and a little brushed silver here and there but little else. The outside looks naked without a door molding or any chrome(this is a personal luxury coupe after all not a cheap econobucket). Why no wood interior trim option? Why no padded armrests on the doors? Why does it need to look almost just like an Impala in front? The only updates I like on this car are the more powerfull engines and the V8, even if it is paired with a weak 4 speed automatic.

It all started with the two-door Lumina that they called "Monte Carlo" and ended up with the current generation (and the "new" '06) that is a haphazardly-designed, bulbous, oversized excuse for a midsize personal coupe.

*chuckles*

Seee......I'm not the only one ;).

C'mon GM....

[post="56536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course there is!

Monte Carlo is a big car. Camaro isn't.
Monte Carlo is a personal car. Camaro is a sports coupe.

Chevrolet is making a large sedan. A coupe version of that large sedan would be very little to produce and, like the current FWD Monte, would still be profitable in small numbers due to being essentially the same thing as the sedan.

The Camaro coupe needs to have volume (since it's essentially a unique chassis... a modified version of the big RWD) or it's dead.

Monte Carlo sales have been far more steady than other sporty coupes, at around 5K per month average since the begining of the 90s, although the coupe market imploded around '98 (save the Mustang) and never really rebounded.

In short, it's easier, cheaper, and a better business case to make a RWD Monte Carlo than a Camaro.... yet GM is making a Camaro.

Should tell you that a big RWD coupe is also coming. ;)

"Monte Carlo sales have been far more steady.. " Then how come MC sales are way down? It's going the way of the other big tuna 'disco era' coupes. "our GM rep has told us that the Monte Carlo and the Impala will be gone after 2008 and replaced by a new sedan, 2dr coupe and convertible, wouldn't say what model. " Yeah and ''Big Foot'' is going to be on Jay Leno next week, too. How can GM kill the current Impala after only two years? If this so called RWD replacement is coming for MY 2008, then it would have to be ready to market in 12-18 months [spring-fall 2007]! They would be in the running prototype phase by now. Where are they? If and when GM decides to build Zeta or Holdan RWD based cars, where will they build them with all the plants closing?

[post="56536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know GM does not have the consumer base and astronomical sales it had once... but room for two RWD 2-door cars outside the Vette? I think there's plenty.

-Corvette
-Camaro
-Nova
-Vega
-Chevelle
-Monte Carlo
-Impala
-Caprice

That's EIGHT cars with RWD and offering a 2dr model.

The world has no changed so much that a 2008 Chevy lineup could not look like this:

-Corvette
-Camaro
-Monte Carlo

------- OR --------

-Corvette
-Camaro
-Chevelle

The Camaro is a sports-coupe, a GT or ot us purists a mucle car. A full size MOnte Carlo or Chevelle would be about luxury and a nice roomy cabin first and performance second.

The way to win back sales numbers is to offer more peoduct not less! Edited by Sixty8panther

The world has no changed so much that a 2008 Chevy lineup could not look like this:
-Corvette
-Camaro
-Monte Carlo
The way to win back sales numbers is to offer more peoduct not less!

Amen!

And, yet, somehow, with the way things are today....even one affordable RWD (not Corvette) doesn't seem at all possible....

*shrugs*

Here's hoping we get that 3-car lineup ;).

"My time here is over" ... Patty Lovelace ... 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?'

• 5 weeks later...

[post="57411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Which makes me think, why is GM paying certain people to design these automobiles? There's no excuse for a lack of good style other than a complete and utter lack of talent.

Things I would like see changed on the 07 Monte Carlo that would make it go from bad to at least acceptable: knights logo on rear pillar, better and different looking grille with more class, delete silly rear spoiler on base LS and LT versions, reinstate bodyside door molding and put a nice chrome sliver in the LTZ version like the Malibu LT and LTZ have, a new center console with shift indicators, padded door armrests, a dash with two tone treatment, not solid black or black and tan but dark and light tan or dark gray and light gray, a choice of brushed silver or woodgrain accents, a 6 speed automatic on the higher trim models and maybe a little more slimming down in the rear end treatment. I would trade Onstar and that rear spoiler for these changes and would probably buy one if Chevy did these things to the car.

• 4 weeks later...
Got to look at a 2006 Monte Carlo at the Chicago Auto show. I actually do like the new front end better than the old one. I wish they had used wood trim instead of the silver for the interior. The new radio is cool if its the same as the one on the new Impala I tried. I am still a little annoyed though at the cost cutting measures compared to the 2000 I had. The SS version doesnt seem all that much different from the base version just based on sitting in both. At least they made more of an effort to make the SS Impala different from the base one. Oh I am sure they drive much differently though. I am also ticked that they removed nearly all the badging from it. Including the interior badge just above the glove box. I still miss my 2000 to a degree even though the engine choices werent as nice as now. put all the stuff back on that has been removed through the years and I will be a lot happier. Edited by 2005 EquinoxLS

Yep, Sixty8. The other guys took your side and helped me understand. Sorry, dude.. Now I agree with you though.

[post="60546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hope I did not come off as a prick... I just hold some very strong opinions about this topic.

:deadhorse: :wink:

The coupe market sucks because NOBODY SELLS ONE!

My dad was in the market for a new, cheap American coupe and there were only a few. The Mustang and, oh wait, that's all. None from GM. None from Chrysler/Dodge. And he won't buy a Ford.

[post="56587"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What are you counting as a coupe? I count 5.

Mustang
Stratus
Sebring
Monte Carlo
Grand Am/G6

and depending on what year it was, Cougar, Grand Prix and Alero