In the market...

Delta Force79

Well guys I need your help, suggestions, opinions etc....my Delta is just too much of a headache now. The carb is only working on 2 barrels, my wiring is shot, my tailights and turn signals in the rear don't work, I have no reverse lights, it needs brakes, and new shock and struts badly....so needless to say...I'm looking at a lot of money...so I'm thinking of buying a newer Olds...right now I'm looking at the last Ninety Eight's Eighty Eights, Auroras and Cutlass Supremes....I'm loking to spend around 5k on a car, maybe a little more if it's worth it...my question to you guys...what are the pros and cons, reliability issuses...with the 88's 98's Auroras and Supremes....I need a mid-to fullsize car, I know the 3800's are strong....but what are things I should look for, any and all comments are welcome :)

Look for a nice clean Buick Roadmaster 94-96. You still get the big car but with an LT1 plenty of power and good mileage. You can find one for less than 5g;s easily.

[post="55389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not a huge fan of the Roadmaster...if I were to buy a Buick it would be a new Park Ave Ultra in black....I'm also trying to get away from V8's for the moment. My rocket has me at the pumps three times a week at least and 20 gallons of gas aint cheap.

I was however looking at the 94-96 Impala SS as I have always wanted one...but again the gas comes into play.

So alas I'm looking into v6's and I'm and Olds man through and through...So I'm thinking of a first gen Aurora or as I said the 88 or 98.

Torobud- why did you're 3800 eat batteries like that? and do you know how many miles are on it now? Edited by Delta Force79

a '90 Trofeo eating batteries? Well lets see it had the VIC, sunroof and all of the other power goodies of that car (ie everything and then some) - When I bought it the car was already 10 years old so after time the wiring of those crazy cars starts to go... I highly recoomend an 88 or 98 from the same era (late 80's early 90's) the 3800 is a great powerplant for those cars with upper teens milage around town and upper twenties to low thirties on the highway...

yeah an Olds with a 3800 seems to be the route I'll be taking...although I looked at 1999 88's and they say they get 19 city, 29 highway....thats well above my 350 rocket....I'm looking at the very last of the 88's and Auroras now....I want something under 10 years old....just for the simple hope that the car will last me at least 5 years before I have to buy another car again...and in 2 and a half years of driving my 79 I've put 43,000 on it...so I tend to rack up milage.

Hey Ninety Eight...good to see you, I used to know you from GMforums.com, I went by the name "The Boat" back then....thanks for the suggestions....I'm taking all of your guys suggestion into consideration...I'd like a black gen I or II Aurora or a 50th anniversary Eighty Eight....I'm still looking at Ninety Eights though.

The Intrigue is a great vehicle, though my favorite is the Gen-II Aurora.  It has a very muscular, yet elegant look to it, like an athlete flexing his muscles.

Observe:

Posted Image

[post="57673"][/post]

Croc here lately you and I have been on the same wave length on a lot of things. And this is definatley one of them. B)

A couple of things to look out for: The 3800's in the 90's have a propensity to destructing the upper plastic intake manifolds. If you buy one and it starts using coolant get that intake replaced right away. Also have the mechanic check the lower intake. 1997 was the last year for 4T60E trannys in the full sized cars and from 1998 to present the 4T65 was used. I have seen a ton of these trannys with shifting issues, from miles in the 60-100K range, when fully warmed up. Pay close attention for bang shifts or torque converter chuggle when it tries to engage/disengage. Of course a lot depends on the prior owner and how often they serviced those trannys. I personally like the LSS 88's best as they had the comfy Aurora seats, firmer suspension, 16" Aurora alloys, 3.05:1 performance axle for quicker get aways and were more loaded up. The LSS versions drive noticeably better than the soft mushy base versions, something to think about if you drive every day.

Thanks for all the tips...this is very helpful....so the LSS' s had a firmer suspension and the Aurora seats? sounds good...I heard a lot of second gen Auroras have tranny problems?? I'm at a loss right now because I want an Olds, and while the Aurora is a great car, I don't want to spend that kind of money for a used car and have to worry about the tranny in a car thats not even 5 years old yet. My 96 Taurus need a new tranny at 44K and it was my grandfather's car that he bought new...and he never beat on it.

Thanks for all the tips...this is very helpful....so the LSS' s had a firmer suspension and the Aurora seats? sounds good...I heard a lot of second gen Auroras have tranny problems?? I'm at a loss right now because I want an Olds, and while the Aurora is a great car, I don't want to spend that kind of money for a used car and have to worry about the tranny in a car thats not even 5 years old yet.  My 96 Taurus need a new tranny at 44K and it was my grandfather's car that he bought new...and he never beat on it.

[post="58079"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I am pretty sure the V8 Aurora's had the 4T80E. The V6s should be the 4T65E.

I would think that both are fine.

My dad has a '92 Eighty Eight regency with the 3800. I'm not sure how many miles it has on it now, but it's over 150,000. It's been fairly reliable for him...I can't remember what specific problems it has had since he has owned it, but it's been a pretty good daily driver. The 3800 has good power and torque...punching the 3800 makes the 3100 in my Lumina seem wheezy.