Top Gear Season 12 Episode 2

Intrepidation

I don't know if you guys have seen this episode yet, but the feature is their journey from Las Vegas to the Bonneville Salt Flats in a Corvette ZR1, Cadillac CTS-V, and Dodge Challenger SRT-8.

top-gear-12.jpg

I think its one of the their very best episodes.

Our success though was not the biggest surprise on this trip. We came here wondering if America had finally made a car that might actually work in the civilized world. The answer is no, they haven't. As you can see from our smiles, they've made three.

Yeah he made the ZR1 his 2008 Car of the Year. They didn't have very kind words about the Challenger compared to the GM cars though. James was negative about the CTS at first but once he got it into a twisty mountain road he was blown away by its grip and handling.

One of my favorite episodes. The only problem is that they started out talking about muscle cars, but the only car they tested that could be considered a muscle car was the Challenger. The ZR-1 and CTS-V are far too expensive and complex to be muscle cars (which they did admit later in the show).

I don't care though. Hearing Clarkson gush over the Corvette more than makes up for any semantic errors.

I am hypocritical in that I love the show, and I love when they bash anything else but American Iron. When they do that, they are dead to me.

For something more like what they're used to, they should test a Cobalt SS or a Caliber SRT-4.

So many European cars are junk though, I just don't see where they have a leg to stand on. They don't understand America and what we need from a vehicle.

I would agree with this. I actually love about everything they say and all the reviews they do, regardless of what they're for, because although they have a home plate Euro hard on--"fine English...beautifully hand crafted...expertly refined...etc."--about their home market cars that are very often nightmarish, not just here, but there too with any real time and lack of warranty under the belt, they're funny while being pretty honest if you get it. They'll never, ever admit to a lot of that, but it's still okay given the actual reviews and humor in general--they just don't truly understand what we want and need in our uncivilized world over here...hah.

Think last gen CTS-V. Essentially that it was fun, not another "horrible old slush-mobile for grandma's in Florida", had the great heart of a Z06, etc. but also that the interior was a little more than bleh, made specific fun of the "bonging" chime whether the key was in the ignition, seatbelt not buckled, door open, etc. Hilariously honest.

I'm also now a big fan of Top Gear Australia--a lot of that having to do with my Holden fetish for, um, obvious reasons. This episode of the original with the ZR-1, CTS-V, and Challenger is just great :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by caddycruiser