GMC Mobile Home

HarleyEarl

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

General Motors Advanced Design Group envisages “the mobile home”

December 7, 2005 With the internet unchaining millions from a daily job and a geographic location, mobile living environments will be in for some serious attention in the coming century and we’ve seen few as promising as this. The GMC PAD is an urban loft with mobility, a concept for living in the ever-changing cultural landscape of Southern California or, quite simply, a modern alternative for those priced out of Southern California’s escalating housing market. It’s a home ownership concept that enables cultural & geographic freedom for the modern city dweller. It’s a concept that represents a reasoned solution to the problems of urban sprawl, development, and it’s damaging effects on the region’s environment. The PAD is the entry of the General Motors Advanced Design Group in the LA Auto Show “California Design Challenge” which will be judged in January. The PAD has also been created with modularity in mind. As such, the vehicle could easily be adapted for use in government roles such as disaster response and emergency housing as well as public sector uses such as Star Waggons for the entertainment industry or on-site management offices for events, construction, and media.

With the PAD, your LA Adventure is your next stop. It’s where you live, where you work, or merely where you want to be. Whether located in walking distance from your job @ TBWA\Chiat\Day, spending a couple evenings along PCH, or wintering at Mammoth, with the GMC PAD, home is where you want it. And commuting is what other people do.

The GMC PAD features a Diesel-Electric hybrid system, which acts as a generator for the onboard power grid as well as propulsion for DriveMode. With the PAD’s resource management technology, onboard fuel & water supplies would last for weeks or even months on end. During daylight hours, the PAD’s SkyDeck features 6 M-Sq of photovoltaic cells that collect and store the sun’s natural energy. An electromagnetic suspension aids in leveling & stabilization when the PAD is being used in the LifeMode as well as remarkably easy handling while in DriveMode.

Direct TV, OnStar, XM Satellite Wi-Fi and are continually online to provide an endless variety of entertainment, information and security options and the PAD’s LCD interior architecture creates a media rich environment unlike any other. Electronically variable exterior glazing means privacy is always at your fingertips. The PAD’s rearmost area is devoted to a personal spa created in conjunction with Kohler. The food prep / kitchen area features a full suite of PAD-specific appliances developed by Thermador‰ and, with a teraflop of on board memory, the digital life has never been so deep & abundant.

For outdoor living, the PAD features an integrated SkyDeck for enjoying the sights & sounds of LA culture.

Just for the records, and because this is such a bonzer idea, the Team Members are as follows:

Steve Anderson – Concept & Strategy, Design Manager Senon B. Franco lll – Exterior Design Jay Bernard – Interior Design Digital Modeling - Phil Tanioka, Sidney Levy, Brian Horton & Alessandro Zezza Color - Christine Ebner Studio Director - Frank Saucedo

(gizmag.com) Edited by HarleyEarl

Judge Dredd declares, "I AM DA LAW!"

This is, regardless, better-looking than half of those flimsy-bodied pile of crap RVs on the roads today. And is it just me, or does the rear of this thing in the first pic have an amazingly turret-like protrusion on the roof? I want that.

It's a 21st Cetury Conastoga Wagon! And I mean that in a good way. I love it. It's obvious who ever was designing this had this in mind:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a 21st Cetury Conastoga Wagon! And I mean that in a good way. I love it. It's obvious who ever was designing this had this in mind:

Posted Image

Posted Image

[post="55098"][/post]

...and it's obvious whoever came up with that, had this in mind...

Posted Image

It is the same company, after all. :lol:

As for the top concept, what's with the constant LA references? And dispite how wonderful they make it sound, it's still going to be tiny compared to even a small real house, and half the stuff doesn't look functional enough to be worth what it'd cost. Still, it's great GM has people dreaming big from time to time.

Thanks Sixty8, I can never get enough of those Futurliners!

I think it's about time for GM to reintroduce the "Parade of Progress" roadshow to the American public. If they won't go to see GM for themselves, then GM should take it directly to them. The GMC PAD would be a great vehicle to use as the modern-day Futurliner.

Call me crazy but, I really like this thing! It has a pretty cool interior design. Hopefully this is a sign of what GM thinks automotive designs should look like. Notice all of the indirect ambient lighting?! This design just doesn't look like something GM would do... an perhaps that is what I find so cool about it!

As for the top concept, what's with the constant LA references?

I assume because it is going to be shown at the LA auto show in a couple of weeks. This years show has a special "design" symposium.

And dispite how wonderful they make it sound, it's still going to be tiny compared to even a small real house, and half the stuff doesn't look functional enough to be worth what it'd cost.

Quite a few people live in motor homes as "full timers." The largest percentage are retired folk, but not all are. A nurse who worked for my daughter bought a motor home and became a "traveler." Typically these are nurses who sign a three month contract with a hospital in some distant area they choose.

These are great too

GM has a history of producing inovative motor homes.  These are from the 70's, utilize Olds toronado running gear, and our amoung the most highlyu prized "collector" motorhomes.

[post="55228"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've always liked those....amazing how timeless they are. They still look good.

How about the Corvair based RVs. :P