Quarter miles

the_yellow_dart

Cool dry night in October 2004, three 13.9s in a row at 100+ MPH.

I was running about 15psi. in the rear tires, which were bought at the junkyard. An IROC-Z rim on one side with a BF Goodrich something or other and a Caprice Classic Steel rim on the other with an old GoodYear dry-rot special. This was with NO posi. and according to my friend Kenny who watched me do these runs (he was racing his BRAND new 2003 Z06) my right rear tire was spinning and blowing white smoke "more than halfway down the track".

If my timing had been set properly, with drag radials and a limited slip the car would be in the twelves. Thirteen-nine is scary enough as is in that death trap! :P

Posted Image

And just for laughs:

Posted Image

Fastest I have a slip for if I could ever find it after moving 4 months ago was 11.2something. It was in a 69 Camaro SS Conv with a 69 Pontiac 428 that I had built and TH400 that I had also built behind it. Traction was a problem that even MT cheaters couldn't fix. We aslo had to put stupid looking airshocks on it to jack up the rear suspension enough to clear the cheaters and the left side still rubbed the wheelwell when we hit it. Ran a really tall rear end gear and the 1-2 shift happened around 60 and sent the car a little squirrelly. The 2-3 shift was also up there in speed, don't remember where though. Ran a factory stall converter from a 425HP vette as it was the only full size stall converter available at the time and wouldn't burn the fluid like the little ones did. It also acted like a flywheel and stored energy for the shifts so you got a real mean torque kick when it upshited. Plus Pontiac motors are torque monsters already and since they have unforgivingly low redlines, might as well use the torque instead of the HP. All that was under the hood and without nitrous cuz only babies suck on bottles. I have built several 428s as they are my favorite Pontiac.

YD: Great thread BTW. :D Oldsmoboi: Funny you say that, the same day I did actually win a few races with my Datsun. One of them was against a 1993 Civic. He ran a 17.3 but his reaction time sucked so bad I made up for the half second he had on me. My first run was against a 2003 butter-yellow WRX and I beat him by a nose after he missed 3rd gear and coasted through the line... he ran a dismal 18.3 @ 56MPH. The best part of course was seeing the look of confusion on people's faces when I dumped the clutch at 3000rpm and the rear tires produced a small cloud of smoke. I really goosed it on one particular run and light up the tires and side-stepped the car from 1st to 2nd & into 3rd as well. My kind of Shock and awe. Several people approached me and asked WTF kind of Datsun it was. The female talking voice is always a great conversation piece in and of its own. "Key is ion the ignition" "Lights are on" "Right door open" & of course "Fuel Level is low" (no sh!t B1tch, gas is $2.29 a gallon!) :P Ocnblu: Drop the clutch at like 4000RPM and you'll see great results. :ph34r: Edited by Sixty8panther

?  Did I forget to mention... wheel hop from hellIt felt like the bed was going to shear off and land in the other lane. :lol:

[post="55054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Weight savings = faster and quicker truck. :metal:

mid 11's or so of course that on my Ninja. My old cavy ran 18's, not bad for an auto tranny wit 150+km and a head gasket that was going (slow coolant leak). She also dynoed 100.5hp at the wheels. The ghetto WAI I made paid for itself that day. I won a bunch of money that day cause nobody thought she's break the 100 mark. Edited by Dragon

I actually got my dad to do it in the Suburban.

:lol:

Seriously, he ran where I do, it's just a little stretch of road nobody uses with exactly 1/4 mile between the beginning of the road and some train tracks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=brantford+on...,0.012883&hl=en

The beginning is a _slight_ curve but its never given anyone any problems. Anyways, I believe the 97 Suburban was somewhere in the 18s with the 350.

I could only get 15.7 in my Grand Prix GTP, but it was about 105 degrees that night, and the Eaton SC is very inefficient, so it creates enough heat on it's own. I will take it again within the next 2 weeks while it is only about 55 at night and see how it does then.

[post="54527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i'd like to see your slips. also, what year is it and how many miles?

I never dragged my GTP much, but she did run a best of [email protected], w/ a cone filter, smooth intake pipe, and underdrive crank pulley. That was at about 120,000 miles or so. Not sure what she'd do now- I did a little valve refreshing a few months ago which might have helped compression, but she's too old for that kind of abuse now. (Not too old for other kinds, tho... B) )

I haven't taken my car to a strip yet, but I know stock they can run high 13's which means mine can run probably mid/maybe even low 13's. I'm gonna hope to break intot he 12's by the first part of next year, then again, I think I may go suspension mods before power mods, though a new exhaust would be nice and a new short shift kit and linkage is definite. Edited by Nick

26.3 seconds @ 57 MPH--2002 Dodge Caravan Sport with my daughter's figure skating club on board (including the coach). I even did a "neutral drop" to get things moving. Next time I should maybe turn off the defroster because that engages the A/C compressor?

yah i did a 18 sec with my 97 caravan sport 3.3l v6

no proof and not official though

[post="59187"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Let's load my daughter's figure skating hooligan friends (and the coach; a big old Russian woman) into your Caravan and THEN let's see who's bragging about 18-second quarter mile times...

actually im not bragging thats not a good time for any car but i think mine may do better than yours if you havent modded it dodge i think detuned the caravan v6 after 1999 to allow better emissions and i dont know your displacement but mines 3.3L and you can tell it from the 3.0 course the 3.8 would kill em both course i dunno and honestly i dont care to find out anymore till i know the van can take it easily

The only modding I've done to the Caravan is yanking two spark plug wires (one on each bank of the "V" engine) to increase fuel economy. The engine is now effectively a 2.2L V4. For some reason, it runs kinda rough and I always detect the odor of unburnt gasoline whenever I've driven for more than a few seconds. I think it's someone else's car making the smell though. On edit: I can still rev it up to the limiter (6000 RPM) in neutral and drop it into drive go get the tires to squak though. But lately, there's been an ominous clunking sound coming from somewhere up by the floorboard whenever I do it. Maybe a squirrel built a nest up on top of the tranny or something? Edited by NeonLX

alright never mind youd 'smoke' me lol

[post="59206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry, can't help it. Can you tell I'm bored at work? :)

I've had a number of these minivans over the years, all powered by either the 3.0L or 3.3L V6. Both are good, powerful mills and the 3.3L is very reliable. The 3.0L has a good bottom end but tends to develop oil leaks (both internal and external). Our current van has the 3.3L V6 that's rated at 180 HP and 210 lbs/ft of torque.

I've never honestly run one through the quarter mile, even informally. They seem to have enough power to get all that mass up to freeway speeds without me having to grow old in the process, so I'm happy with 'em... :)

On edit: Now this guy Gus, he knows how to get a minivan through the quarter mile in style: http://www.gusmahon.org/html/Mini.htm

Wow, 13.1 seconds at over 103 MPH! This guy knows how to have fun.

Unfortunately, Gus was killed by some careless driver in an accident a few years back. Damn. Edited by NeonLX

did you lower tire psi and remove/lower the tailgate?

[post="59087"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The taillgate thing is a myth. It's very understandable that the air resistance caused by the tailgate would slow the truck down but I read about an experiment where they found out that the tilgate down causes more drag in the back of the cab and therefore slows down the struck and makes for worse fuelm economy.

Go figure...

Balthazar:

You just give me the word and I'll be there with my camcorder to tape you running 10.9s in the WQ59B. B)

The taillgate thing is a myth. It's very understandable that the air resistance caused by the tailgate would slow the truck down but I read about an experiment where they found out that the tilgate down causes more drag in the back of the cab and therefore slows down the struck and makes for worse fuelm economy.

Go figure...
Balthazar:

You just give me the word and I'll be there with my camcorder to tape you running 10.9s in the WQ59B.  B)

[post="59222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yah they did it on myth busters there is an eddy of swirling air in the back behind the cab and air just runs over it with minimal drag

and yah i think my vans about the same as far as power
but i hate how the weight is over the back though and the front tires will spin for no reason when its any kind of different condition

but thats amazing as far as vans go i sw a video of a van beating a 2003 mustang GT at 10.983 secs it was ridiculous
but crappy reaction time

The taillgate thing is a myth. It's very understandable that the air resistance caused by the tailgate would slow the truck down but I read about an experiment where they found out that the tilgate down causes more drag in the back of the cab and therefore slows down the struck and makes for worse fuelm economy. Go figure...

Makes sense: the air "sees" a bigger drop off behind the cab with no tailgate to flow over. In other words, tailgate down creates a bigger vacuum. What would be better than either is a bed cover. I've ridden in the back of an empty pick-up for a long interval once, laying down and moving around; the ways air flows over & thru it is quite distinct & noticable. The experienced was quite helpful in loading a pick-up properly with potentially 'airborne' objects.

Balthazar: You just give me the word and I'll be there with my camcorder to tape you running 10.9s in the WQ59B.

I'll give you a call in 2009... :( :angry:

and yah i think my vans about the same as far as power
but i hate how the weight is over the back though and the front tires will spin for no reason when its any kind of different condition

[post="59250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 3.3L engine is a good torquer. In many ways, it's similar to GM's 3800 V6 (though it's a 60-degree V rather than the 90-degree V of the 3800). It's not a true high RPM engine but it does have a nice, flat torque curve. It's also very durable with no real mechanical issues.

The Mitsu 3.0L engine is also good on power. I had this engine in a '94 Dodge Spirit and that made for a quick ride (and it didn't do too bad in my '89 Caravan or '96 Voyager, either). But it's also known to be a leaker--the cam seals almost always let go after a few years, and the valve guide seals actually disintegrate and fall down into the valve guides, allowing oil to leak down into the combustion chamber. That's why so many late 1980s/early 1990s minivans have turned into mosquito foggers.

Go figure...
Balthazar:

You just give me the word and I'll be there with my camcorder to tape you running 10.9s in the WQ59B.  B)

[post="59222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

doing it netted me an increase in mileage on my old truck until i got a cover, which increased it a bit more. :dunno:

perhaps it depends on the truck. No doubt the bed cover hard or soft will be the best of all.