GM will kill the three-row Trailblazer/Envoy

avant1963

The first GM plant to cease production is the Oklahoma City plant that currently makes the extended wheelbase GMC Envoy XL, Chevy Trailblazer EXT and Isuzu Ascender EXT. Also, the re-engineered Envoy and Trailblazer has been pushed back a few years. All eyes turn to the Lambda crossover architecture which may very well replace GM’s body-on-frame mid-sizers. There are currently 2400 employees at the plant, a plant in which GM spent millions to rebuild after a tornado destroyed parts of the building in 2003. Is a Lambda crossover in the future for Chevy?

http://newsok.com/article/1697250/?template=home/main

Chevrolet needs a 7 passenger SUV if it is going to go head to head with Toyota and Honda. The Trailblazer EXT comes across as too "trucky" against the Highlander and we have lost sales because of it. I agree that the Tahoe probably fills the need for someone who "needs" a truck-based SUV that carries 7 people, but then give us a "car based" SUV that will handle nice, look good and carry 7 people.

I see very few ext as well. they are a bit cumbersom as well.Perhaps a 1/2 door on one sid for rear 3rd row access on the new lambda would solve the rear access problem, no? Edited by prototype66

Um.... does this seem retarded to anyone else?

What is the appeal of the short versions????

I see so many more extended ones...

[post="53702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I believe the plan, whether "retarded" or not, is to push the EXT buyers to the new Tahoe. The new tahoe is a much nicer vehicle, better power, fuel economy and refinement. It actually seems very un-retarded to me.

I think it is possible that GM may re-open this plant if the Lambda crossovers start to sell really well.  It would allow them to keep the Morain plant operational with GMT360s while pushing excess production to a relatively up to date plant.

[post="53760"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That plant is too old, she is done. Any new equipment, like the new paint shop, will be relocated to a flexible facility, nearer the supply base.

The only reason the EXT's got built was to make the business case for the SSr possible. The frames were the same and it made sense at the time to offer a third row TB. Everyone keeps making a case for the Lambda's but... let us not forget that if GM really did abandon the BOF midsizers (which they aren't nor will they) they would be the only manufacturer this side of Koreans that didn't have one. Case and point... 4runner...

The only reason the EXT's got built was to make the business case for the SSr possible.  The frames were the same and it made sense at the time to offer a third row TB.

Everyone keeps making a case for the Lambda's but... let us not forget that if GM really did abandon the BOF midsizers (which they aren't nor will they) they would be the only manufacturer this side of Koreans that didn't have one.  Case and point... 4runner...

[post="53804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Much easier to make the business case for the midsize BOF with ONE assembly plant, flexible from 2-3 shifts.

I don't see why the TrailBlazer and Envoy would be dropped-they're mainstays, they still seem very popular, and I hope the distinction between them continues that didn't with Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Those are the only mid-size truck-based SUV's needed, IMO. The EXT, Envoy XL, and also-stylish but forgotten/forgettable Envoy XL (not TB EXT) rebadge Ascender will be missed-the EXT/XL sold well around here, and as long as the GMC Acadia had as much passenger and cargo room as the 370's, then I bit it will be fine.

Some may say that there is no need for a Trailblazer/Envoy and a new crossover, but what about Ford :angry2: They have the Explorer and  the Freestyle and they're doing quite well.

[post="53903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the freestyle has already been anounced its will be not be made any more... i think after 06...

it was a flop

the freestyle has already been anounced its will be not be made any more... i think after 06...

it was a flop

Not exactly a flop. It's growing.

The next-generation Freestyle will be a little larger than the current model and the current-generation will give way to a Mercury knock-off.

It's not a "flop."

The EXT Trailblazer was ungainly looking, performed badly, and got universally poor reviews. It will not be missed. GM should drop the BOF mid-size SUVs and focus on unibody ones. No one belittles Jeeps and they have been unibody for decades. Unibody can be plenty tough. BOF is technology that's been out of date for 30+ years. It makes sense for the 1% of the population that needs the towing abilities that it enables. I say screw the 1% that needs to tow a lot and focus on making a good hanlding, packaging efficient unibody SUV with a proper powertrain. Mark

OMG - GM can't close factories! They can only idle them and continue to pay the hourly workers until at least the next round of negotiations in 2007? Who signed off on that contract? If they still work for GM then they should be gone tomorrow!!!!!! :o

That's gay  <_<

[post="54417"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, now that's a good comment to make :rolleyes:

If the crossovers can comfortably seat as many people as the -370's and have cargo space, most people won't give two hoots that it doesn't still have an antique-style truck chassis underneath. All they'll see is that it's a lot more fuel efficient, a LOT nicer to drive, etc.

Also, right now, the current short-wheelbase models can't hold a candle to the new '06 Explorer/Mountaineer. Actually, even before the redesign, they hardly could. Regardless of the reasons GM cited back in '01, the Explorer's independent rear has allowed a 3rd seat in the same "short" wheelbase as every other Explorer, and one that is truthfully quite comfortable--even more so than the butt on the floor, knees in your face setup that persists in even the '07 Tahoe. It's those kind of things that matter to most real-world buyers (especially since most are coming out of cars and would NEVER drive a minivan), and that's one area where GM was way behind the curve.

TAKE HOME POINT: Had the TB/Envoy had only a wheelbase like the current "short" ones from the start, BUT also incorporated things like an independent rear, comfortable and fold-flat 3rd row, tighter build quality, and a less sloppy driving feel, they'd probably be doing a lot better today.

The 3rd passenger is insignificant when the new 900s offer more space, better mileage, and better looks to boot. Most will go for the 900 and those seeking a cheaper option will be relegated to the Lambdas. The EXTs, as stated above by many others, are pure garbage in relation to the rest of the market. Even a 4 cylinder Highlander is better for the average person, WHO NEVER TOWS, and that's average person folks!!

I have to honestly wonder how often people use the third row.

[post="54489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

my sister has one, and only her kids ever use it, but at least it's good for that. Though any other SUV with less pig-like dimmensions and more overall efficiency could handle this task just the same. I am still waiting for a Maxx like wagon vehicle from GM with three rows. Come on, 3 rows and all the utility.

Perhaps the next-generation of the TrailBlazer/Envoy/etc. family with come with a third row seat option. To me, that makes far more sense than spending the time and money to develop an extened-length version that overlaps with your flagship SUV models. Besides, sales of these SUVs are only going one direction: Straight down. GM is wise to scale back production now, before they have a 150-day supply of unwanted trucks on the factory lot, and the workers don't have any work so they have to be paid for sitting at home.

"I see the EXT's all the time" Where? The market for these is dying down from the hyped up 1990's. The Explorer is down 60%, to the one poster saying they are "doing all right". If the '07 Tahoe can get the same MPG as the TBlazer, why bother with it? And no, GM isn't ever going to "re-open a plant" again, sorry.

I have to honestly wonder how often people use the third row.

[post="54489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have a coworker who has an Envoy XL....I think about the only time the 3rd row is used is when he drives when when we go out to lunch (we call his SUV 'the bus'). it fits 6-7 average-size adults pretty well.