Look at my new car! :D

zoomtm

As long as it's NOT an automatic I'm 100% for it! Those are one of the few VWs I actaully like. I almost bought a beater '80s (Rabbit style) Cabrio once (5-speed of course) but a buddy of mine talked me out of it. He was convinced it had a Chick-car stigmata. Had it not been for that I might have had some good times in a cheap convertible. That was the second time I almost bought a cheap POS ragtop, the first time it was a Z24 Cavalier. Edited by Sixty8panther

Hah no I was just hoping to get in some more teasing. :D Im not sure I could date a guy who drives a Cabrio *shudder*

[post="52884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm upset I missed this. There is no replacement out there yet. I feel bad for all those gay men in San Fran.

Yes, the Cabrio is kind of Metro-Sexual but who cares.... as you guys already know I buy the car I WANT, not the car my supposed demographic is meant to be driving.

If I got a hankering for a little fun econobox 5-speed and it had to be a convertible and FWD I'd buy a nice Cabrio if the price was right. I don't care what other people think, which is why I still wear my Star Wars T-shirts and my old ratty Hilfiger Jeans on occasion.

Life is too short to worry about other's stigmatas and preconceptions.

Posted Image

Rock on you little Jack-Rabbit!

I'm upset I missed this. There is no replacement out there yet. I feel bad for all those gay men in San Fran.

[post="52901"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually some dude with a camera phone saw the all new Cabrio running around near VW's facilities in Florida a while back. All the boys in Mecca...err...San Fran will have a new car to buy soon.

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?for...tart=0&tstart=0 Edited by CD/BP

Z's right. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I sat by and watched a C&G friend be eviscerated of all good taste and class by taking the wheel of a VW Cabrio...especially that bodystyle of Cabrio.

The only acceptable reasons for a male driving a Cabrio are:
1) I work for a VW dealership/service department/garage.
2) I'm taking my wife/girlfriend/female relative's car to the shop for her.
3) My car is broken down and its 3am on a Sunday Christmas Day 350 miles north of Anchorage, Alaska and there are no other cars, trucks, vans, wagons, horse-drawn wagons, motorcycles, bicycles, unicycles, aircraft, boats, sled dogs, or pair of skis in sight and this is the absolute only car I could find...and an arctic wolf stole my shoes...and I think I have frostbite.

Even if one happens to be gay, that's no reason. I would hope everyone on Earth has some sort of taste and self respect.

Wow Fly... so open minded. I can see why they chose you to be a moderator. :rolleyes: :P I am not a VW fan by any stretch of the imagination but I'm frineds with a few. I repsect VW more than Honda, Toyota and a lot of other imports, but I'm still no big fan of newer Cabrios. A Cabrio has a better excuse than any Cadillac or Buick for FWD, its fun to drive even wiht the top up, and makes for a better urban vehicle than most supposed "CITY cars". I have a soft spot in my hearst for the Rabbit (Golf I) VeeWubbyas cabrio or not and happen to think those are a lot less stereotypically gay than New Beetles (esp. ragtops)... sorry Ocnblu, not trying to be a prick. I'd rather have a beat up 1992 Cabrio w/ 130K miles than ANY new Kia or Echo or Scion Xa. Edited by Sixty8panther

A Cabrio has a better excuse than any Cadillac or Buick for FWD, its fun to drive even wiht the top up, and makes for a better urban vehicle than most supposed "CITY cars". 

[post="53088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So...how many cars now have an 'excuse' to be FWD?

That reminds me of the movie Get Shorty when Chili arrives at the rental car place while it is pouring down rain and the rental car person goes "All we have left sir is the Oldsmobile Sillouette" Chili: "But, I ordered a Cadillac, I want my Cadillac" Rental Car person "Well, the Oldsmobile Sillouette is the Cadillac of minivans.... if you dont want it, the place next door has plenty of VW convertables in stock" Chili "I'll take the van."

Yes, the Cabrio is kind of Metro-Sexual but who cares.... as you guys already know I buy the car I WANT, not the car my supposed demographic is meant to be driving.

Posted Image

[post="52905"][/post]

Yet you'll buy something based on popularity..? I remember you recently saying something about how you'd pick something over something else because it's more unique. I don't remember you saying anything about liking it more for any reason other than that... :D

And you might know where I stand on that.... :AH-HA_wink:

Wow Fly... so open minded. I can see why they chose you to be a moderator. :rolleyes: :P

I am not a VW fan by any stretch of the imagination but I'm frineds with a few. I repsect VW more than Honda, Toyota and a lot of other imports, but I'm still no big fan of newer Cabrios.

A Cabrio has a better excuse than any Cadillac or Buick for FWD, its fun to drive even wiht the top up, and makes for a better urban vehicle than most supposed "CITY cars". 

I have a soft spot in my hearst for the Rabbit (Golf I) VeeWubbyas cabrio or not and happen to think those are a lot less stereotypically gay than New Beetles (esp. ragtops)... sorry Ocnblu, not trying to be a prick.

I'd rather have a beat up 1992 Cabrio w/ 130K miles than ANY new Kia or Echo or Scion Xa.

[post="53088"][/post]

You are really making this easy for me ot kid around with you... Do you realize that? :lol: Haha... but yeah, you shouldn't be the one talking about being open-minded. :D

Okay... I better get ready to avoid the bullets...

If I got a hankering for a little fun econobox 5-speed and it had to be a convertible and FWD I'd buy a nice Cabrio if the price was right. I don't care what other people think, which is why I still wear my Star Wars T-shirts and my old ratty Hilfiger Jeans on occasion.

Posted Image

[post="52905"][/post]

If I had stigmata I'd worry!

BV: Where the heck did I say something about popularity? Quite the opposite. Fly: The more important question is which cars DO NOT Have an excuse to be FWD. 2000-2006 Impala, Buick Lucerne, Chrysler 300M, 1995-2006 Monte Carlo, 1999 Mercury Cougar, Cadillac DTS just to name a few should definately be RWD. Does this make all these FWD cars unworthy? not necessarily but it does make them less somewhat awkward, costlier to maintain, less durrable and a lot less appealing.

I think the Rabbit pickup is the ultimate VW. Like maybe one with the GTi drivetrain. Or maybe a turbo diesel. I had a 1980 gas truck, I think it weighed 1900lb ? The OHC 1.8 moved it quite well, even with 15-1700 lb in it. Great truck, worked as hard as any of mine did. My friend with all the old 60's GM muscle, his son has a GTi and his daughter a Cabrio

BV:

Where the heck did I say something about popularity? Quite the opposite.

Some thread... and popularity is however popular something is. That can mean not at all to extremely so. I was talking about you saying that the less popular something is, the more you'll like it or something along those lines. I'm just saying that "being unique for the sole purpose of being unique is not any different than conforming to be like something else." That's one of my many mottos and whichever post of yours I remember reading about that, reeked of it. I don't think that is truly buying what you like. That's all... :) :D