I find myself wondering...

Camino LS6

...how many people will stop buying new cars long term after the disasters of the past year.

Thoughts?

By the time I am ready to purchase again, I won't have a brand to choose from. So, I won't likely be buying new for quite some time.

It seems I'm on a 10 year cycle for new cars currently. Aug '10 will be the 10 year point, so I will likely buy something by then. Actually thinking of going certified pre owned..my Jeep hit 99k this morning, so I know 100k is not far away.

I had planned for the Silverado to be a ten year truck even when I bought it back in late 2004, but now I'm wondering if lots of other folks are thinking this way with more average cars and trucks that don't earn a living like my Silverado does.

I get the sense that the "every three years" flip may be a thing of the past for quite a few people now.

Edited by Camino LS6

I had planned for the Silverado to be a ten year truck even when I bought it back in late 2004, but now I'm wondering if lots of other folks are thinking this way with more average cars and trucks that don't earn a living like my Silverado does.

I get the sense that the "every three years" flip may be a thing of the past for quite a few people now.

Yeah, I could never see myself doing the 3 or 5 year cycle...my Dad did the every 3 thing for almost 50 years for a primary car, every 5 years for secondary cars.

But after almost 9 years and 99k, my Jeep is still in very good condition. No squeaks and rattles, all the electronics still work, etc. I don't really need to trade it..I figure I'll keep it for winter use and get another daily driver in the next year or so. It's been nice not having a car payment the last 4 years.

If this sentiment is as widespread as I suspect, the automakers all have a tough road ahead.

Others will fall.

Besides the ecomomy impacting people buying new cars, I also think that cars are better built and more reliable now more than ever leads to people keeping them longer..

Building better, higher quality, more reliable cars is actually detremental to the automakers...well maintained cars last longer in general today than they did in olden days, rust is less prevalent, and 100k miles is not necessesarily percieved as a huge number of miles..

If cars were crappier, people would change more often. :)

Or maybe this is just my random semi-coherent thoughts on a dull Tuesday..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

All our cars are fine - the Volvo is 21 y/o and even that won't die - so unless something radically different comes to the market, like an electric car, we won't be buying new for a while.

However, a "cash for clunkers" program, which has been effective in Germany and Britain, might get me to replace my Passat earlier than planned. A 2011 Fiesta would be very tempting by the time I graduate...

Edited by empowah

The styles of cars don't change either, so they don't go out of date as fast.

Now if it was the 1950's....people would want to upgrade.

But there is no glory in upgrading from a 2001 Focus to a 2009 Focus.

Chris

Well, we know that the market has contracted from 17 million to 10 million units.

The question is, how many of that missing 7 million will return.

At this rate, none. I can actually see public transportation coming back...

I don't plan on wasting money for a new car every few years.....

..a decent national rail system for sure.

And until we get our energy problems solved, the less we go into debt financing cars the better. If gas goes to $6 a gallon, people will need the cash flow for fuel.

I could actually handle living in Cuba, with lots of old 50's American iron around. Now THAT would be cool.

Chris

Well, count me in this group. I've been leasing my vehicles for ten years now (May '99), usually for 30 months at a time (all 36 month terms, but I've had some good pull-ahead offers in that time). When my '07 AURA GMAC SmartLease expires in November, that's it for me as leasing is no longer offered "economically". The wife went to financing last June with her G6, and it's likely that car will last us for 7-8 years God willingly. Depending on my employment status, I will be buying my next vehicle and planning to keep it for more than 5 years too. The good old days of getting a new vehicle every 30-36 months is over for me now :(

..a decent national rail system for sure.

And until we get our energy problems solved, the less we go into debt financing cars the better. If gas goes to $6 a gallon, people will need the cash flow for fuel.

I could actually handle living in Cuba, with lots of old 50's American iron around. Now THAT would be cool.

Chris

+1

Well, count me in this group. I've been leasing my vehicles for ten years now (May '99), usually for 30 months at a time (all 36 month terms, but I've had some good pull-ahead offers in that time). When my '07 AURA GMAC SmartLease expires in November, that's it for me as leasing is no longer offered "economically". The wife went to financing last June with her G6, and it's likely that car will last us for 7-8 years God willingly. Depending on my employment status, I will be buying my next vehicle and planning to keep it for more than 5 years too. The good old days of getting a new vehicle every 30-36 months is over for me now :(

Actually, I find owning a vehicle and running it into the ground to be very satisfying.

Most of my cars haven't left under their own power...either they have left as collector cars on trailers or as dailyh drivers worn out on the back of tow trucks.

My last two cars I got rid of as daily's were shot to crap when I got rid of them.

Take care of a car and it will last a long damned time. Something satisfying seeing it turn 100K and then 200k.

But I think Trincabob's car will outlive us all.

Chris

I am not going to lose my penchant for buying new vehicles fairly often, unless things get worse than they are now. I am encouraged by some things I've heard about the health of our dealership. My Cobalt has been fine, but a new Camaro or Colorado might be in my future, as early as next year sometime.