Cadillac BRX & Saab 9-4X

HarleyEarl

Cadillac BRX Crossover:
Posted Image

Cadillac, Saab Crossovers Coming in 2008
Date Posted 11-21-2005

DETROIT — The Cadillac BRX and the Saab 9-4X, as suppliers are calling the new vehicles, are expected to go into production in mid-to-late 2008. GM has indicated that it wants to assemble the vehicles at its Ramos Arizpe plant in Mexico. A third model, which may go to Buick, could join the Cadillac and Saab in production for model-year 2009.

The 9-4X would be Saab's first crossover vehicle. It would fill the void left by the stillbirth of the 9-6X — Saab's proposed derivative of the Subaru B9 Tribeca. The 9-6X was scrapped at the eleventh hour when GM elected to sell its stake in Subaru's parent, Fuji Heavy Industries.

The BRX would be slotted below the SRX in size and price and would be Cadillac's lowest priced people mover.

The as-yet-unnamed Buick, if approved, would slot beneath the upcoming 2008 Enclave, Buick's version of the new full-size, Lambda-based crossovers. The Enclave is scheduled to go on sale in spring 2007. The Enclave and its smaller companion would replace the current Rendezvous and Rainier models in Buick's lineup.

All three models are intended to play in the premium segment now occupied by Acura, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln and Mercedes-Benz. Prices will likely range from about $35,000 to $45,000.

The new premium midsize crossovers will be built on what is described by GM suppliers as a long-wheelbase variant of the Theta platform that underpins the Chevrolet Equinox, the Pontiac Torrent and the Saturn Vue. They are expected to seat seven passengers and will be lavishly equipped. The vehicles reportedly will be offered in both front- and all-wheel-drive versions and are expected to be powered by a 3.6-liter V6 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

What this means to you: More choice in the growing CUV segment, and a new product that — in light of the company's current financial situation — may convince more people to buy a GM product.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Looks a lot like the BLS, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They need to clean up that tick ass roof, though.

Are Theta and Sub-Theta related in any way to Epsilon, or is it all in me head?

[post="47050"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

These are not Theta, nor are they Sub-Theta. It is a new architecture called "Theta-Epsilon". Internally, GM refers to it as "TE". I can confirm Ramos Arizpe build location, only the dates are wrong.

Wait.  I thought Epsilon was mid-size?  why would they give two different platforms the same name.

[post="47129"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's a combination of the two. Some componets are Epsilon and some are Theta. There's still a Theta and Epsilon, GM is just referring to it as TE (Theta-Epsilon) because it's a combination of the two.

ok sounds good, the BRX could be a little crisper. However, it BETTER NOT be FWD, the saab and BRX need to be FULL time AWD. the idea of a fwd caddy scares me. and if just sunk in... mid/late 2008 is a LONG time away :( Edited by jbartley

Thanks for clearing that up Northstar. jbartley. The BLS in Europe is based on the FWD 9-3 and it drives pretty well. The BRX will probably have all-time AWD to compete with the upcoming small lux utes from Mercedes, Infiniti, and a couple other brands so there's nothing to worry about.

Extended-length Theta, eh? Strange... I thought Cadillac was only going to use RWD platforms from now on. For that matter, why not just use the Lambda platform? This Extended Theta thing just seems like unnecessary platform overlap, IMO. If anything, GM should be working on developing a real compact SUV/Wagon.

These are not Theta, nor are they Sub-Theta.  It is a new architecture called "Theta-Epsilon".  Internally, GM refers to it as "TE".  I can confirm Ramos Arizpe build location, only the dates are wrong.

[post="47092"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hogan I thought that TE was going to Spring Hill. Did I miss something?

Is it just me that thinks the Cadillac version of this is a little superfluous?

I think they should leave the BLS / BRX market to SAAB

[post="47395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope, I think that market should be left to Saab-Buick rather, just in case Saab went under, and so Buick could make itself relevant in the near-luxury market, something I really think would be a great idea if they want to survive.

In other words, I totally agree with you. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

From Autoscoops via trollattan Saab

Billed as 9-3  allroad

http://www.trollhattansaab.net/images/Saab...3%20allroad.jpg

[post="48001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very Audi-ish which was Saab's intent. If the Saab model looks this good (if that's really what it is) then I can't wait to see the real BRX!!!

Though, when looked at it again... it doesn't have the same styling as the new 9-5. The lights are clearly current 9-3. This might be an old prototype or Saab's designers can't decide one what styling they like.

In response to regfootball:

2008 isn't too long to wait. Just think, it's going to be 2006 in a month and one day but I do think these x-overs should've been out now or at least next year. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Extended-length Theta, eh? Strange... I thought Cadillac was only going to use RWD platforms from now on.

For that matter, why not just use the Lambda platform? This Extended Theta thing just seems like unnecessary platform overlap, IMO. If anything, GM should be working on developing a real compact SUV/Wagon.

[post="47599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

TE or Theta premium as it has been called will most likely be a 7 seat compact SUV. I know that sounds weird but imagine a lowered lengthened Equinox with SRX like skin and 3 rows of seats, sounds pretty good doesn't it?