Toyota to introduce 3G hybrid engine

Guest Josh

TOKYO, Nov. 16 (UPI) -- Toyota Motor Corp. has developed its third-generation hybrid-system engine, combining gasoline and electric power for a more eco-friendly engine. The smaller engine, which can reduce fuel costs and cut production expenses, will be put into practical use in 2008, the Asahi Shimbun reported Wednesday. The new engine can be installed on most of the automaker's midsize or larger models. Toyota will produce key parts of the new engine in the United States to expand the use of the technology around the world. Toyota installed the first generation hybrid engine in its Prius model in 1997, and the second generation engine, which generated 1.5 times more electric power than the first, was put into use in 2003, as the world's top hybrid system in terms of fuel-cost efficiency at 83.5 miles per gallon of gasoline. The third-generation engine will be even more fuel efficient and offer higher performance, the company says.

Toyota installed the first generation hybrid engine in its Prius model in 1997, and the second generation engine, which generated 1.5 times more electric power than the first, was put into use in 2003, as the world's top hybrid system in terms of fuel-cost efficiency at 83.5 miles per gallon of gasoline.

The third-generation engine will be even more fuel efficient and offer higher performance, the company says.

[post="43825"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow, the current Prius gets 83.5 MPG?? I guess the next one will get like 110 MPG!!

.....and the sad thing is that people will believe this.....not (most) people on here, but the general public will. Another reason to HATE Toyota.

It is rather funny. Toyota is on its 3rd generation of their Hybrid system, which isn't exactly something to gloat about (specially since it won't show up in cars for another 2 years, maybe 3 years before it hits the USDM). Honda is already on the 3rd generation of its Hydrogen fuel cell system, with prototypes on the street (and one drivin by a family in CA), and not to mention the HES system, which may make Fuel Cell vehicles even more convenient than gasoline vehicles and do away with gas stations. Come on Toyota, how long are you going to milk hybrid electric before you realize it is not the way of the future?? Of course I guess Toyota could sell Hybrid Gasoline-Cow-Poop vehicles with their marketting prowess.

It may be imperial gallons (different from our gallons).

It is not, since they rate them in km/litre. The current Insight is rated to 36km/litre, which is 22.37 miles per 0.264 US gallons, which is 84 MPG approximately. Over there people don't have lead feet like we do, so they actually get better mileage out of their cars :lol:

It is not, since they rate them in km/litre. The current Insight is rated to 36km/litre, which is 22.37 miles per 0.264 US gallons, which is 84 MPG approximately. Over there people don't have lead feet like we do, so they actually get better mileage out of their cars  :lol:

[post="44014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think "Prius" and "lead foot" are even allowed to appear in the same sentence.

I don't think that's the case. Maybe if you said that they do alot more city driving than we do, then that might hold some water......but that does sound like an excuse Toyota would use.

You have to realize motoring in most other industrialized countries is heavily biased towards city driving, so a system that allows a lighter, smallish car to scoot around on battery power at low speeds and short distances is ideal. I'm really not surprised the stratospheric mileage of any Japanese hybrid isn't even close to being matched stateside because of our highway-biased driving where a more powerful engine for cruising is more ideal.

Plus, we use a/c a whole lot more than alot of places, too.

I don't think "Prius" and "lead foot" are even allowed to appear in the same sentence.

I don't think that's the case.  Maybe if you said that they do alot more city driving than we do, then that might hold some water......but that does sound like an excuse Toyota would use.

[post="44025"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course "Prius" and "lead foot" are allowed to appear in the same sentence... you have to floor it to get the weak piece of crap to move.

I'm sorry, but try merging onto the Northern State Parkway on Long Island where people are flying 75-85mph right by you, and you have a 10 foot onramp to get up to speed--it can be scary driving a Prius LOL

ponder this though. toyota is seemingly spitting out a new 3rd cycle hyrbrid powertrain much faster and quicker than either Ford or GM can seemingly develop any sort of regualr engine, MUCH LESS OHC, these days. They finally updated their pushrod v6's and likely won't touch those for 5 more years now but we'll see 2 more generations of Toyotas full hybrid system by then.

ponder this though.  toyota is seemingly spitting out a new 3rd cycle hyrbrid powertrain much faster and quicker than either Ford or GM can seemingly develop any sort of regualr engine, MUCH LESS OHC, these days.  They finally updated their pushrod v6's and likely won't touch those for 5 more years now but we'll see 2 more generations of Toyotas full hybrid system by then.

[post="44085"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I'll give them credit--they're not stupid. They see this ENORMOUS market and they're leading it and striving to stay tops of the hybrid market. At this point, GM is doing themselves a disservice by not having hybrids available on sedans or SUVs--the longer they stay away, the more difficult it'll be for them to make an impact on the market.

I believe Toyota has been working on Fuel cell vehicles for sometime now. Not exactly sure but I think they curently have a model in Japan as well with Fuel Cell. Lets not forget they had a model here as well for fleet use only. Currently they are working on Hybrid Fuel Cells. Electric motor and fuel cell. Dont think they arent working on fuel cells. They are definitely looking at the future, while most STILL cant even mass produce a regular hybrid model. Edited by magneto112

I had thought that Toyota's idea of offering a Hybrid in virtually every one of their models by 2010 was a bit far-fetched, but this sentence changes everything:

The new engine can be installed on most of the automaker's midsize or larger models.

Come on Toyota, how long are you going to milk hybrid electric before you realize it is not the way of the future??

I'm pretty sure Toyota realizes it's not the way of the future rather a cost efficient stop-gap measure for the time being. Alternative fuel cars aren't going to suddenly become popular tomorrow and cars that run off hydrogen won't be popular for at least a decade if not more. Too costly, too dangerous, too different.

I'm pretty sure Toyota realizes it's not the way of the future rather a cost efficient stop-gap measure for the time being.  Alternative fuel cars aren't going to suddenly become popular tomorrow and cars that run off hydrogen won't be popular for at least a decade if not more.  Too costly, too dangerous, too different.

[post="44484"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

To add to that, Toyota knows hybrids aren't the way of the future. But they are going to hype up that they are the leader in hybrids, and therefor they are better for the environment, as long as they can. Even if GMs system is better, Toyota will still be the more green company for having hybrids sooner.