Will the Toyota recalls ever end?

mustang84

Toyota says may recall 1.05 million exported vehicles
Revolution 11/09/05
11/09/05

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. said on Wednesday it may recall a further 1.05 million vehicles due to trouble with bolts used in their diesel engines.

Toyota said it was looking into the ways the vehicles, including the Hiace and 24 other models that were exported to Asia and Europe, were used to see if a recall was necessary.

On Tuesday the company notified the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport it would recall 246,592 of the vehicles that had been sold in Japan.

We're investigating how the exported cars are used, a spokesman said. If the conditions are the same as those used in Japan, there is a possibility that we may recall all of the 1.05 million cars.

Last month Toyota said it would recall about 1.41 million cars globally, its biggest ever such move, including the Corolla and 15 other models due to trouble with their headlight switching systems.

Toyota declined to comment on cost of the latest recall.

The spokesman said the bolts were not rinsed thoroughly when the vehicles were made between April 1998 and September 2003. In the worst case the bolts may be rusted and broken, disabling the engines. Edited by mustang84

I haven't really been following the Auto industry too closely up until recently, but is this many recalls from one manufacturer common? Because it seems like every 3 or 4 days there is a another recall. And not small ones either, all of them are well over 100k vehicles, and now well over a million? Damn.

I haven't really been following the Auto industry too closely up until recently, but is this many recalls from one manufacturer common? Because it seems like every 3 or 4 days there is a another recall. And not small ones either, all of them are well over 100k vehicles, and now well over a million? Damn.

[post="41989"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess you haven't seen GM and Ford recalls. They make this look like child's play because they sell so many more cars. Ford is trying to get around recalling 7,000,000+ cars (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) because it installed the same cruise control switch that can catch on fire in so many damn cars.

Actually, I believe that Ford recall only involves 3.6 million. Either way, Toyota has now recalled 5 million vehicles since May 2005. Before May, they had almost none (or at least nothing major at least). Whereas it's almost transparent these days with GM and Ford, Toyota gets noticed when it makes a recall because of its track record of quality. I imagine that their massive global expansion will only make the recalls become more frequent.

Actually, I believe that Ford recall only involves 3.6 million.  Either way, Toyota has now recalled 5 million vehicles since May 2005.  Before May, they had almost none (or at least nothing major at least).  Whereas it's almost transparent these days with GM and Ford, Toyota gets noticed when it makes a recall because of its track record of quality.  I imagine that their massive global expansion will only make the recalls become more frequent.

[post="42029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very true

Actually, I believe that Ford recall only involves 3.6 million.  Either way, Toyota has now recalled 5 million vehicles since May 2005.  Before May, they had almost none (or at least nothing major at least).  Whereas it's almost transparent these days with GM and Ford, Toyota gets noticed when it makes a recall because of its track record of quality.  I imagine that their massive global expansion will only make the recalls become more frequent.

[post="42029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Best. Post. Ever.

I said years ago once Toyota starts to expand and grow...they would face the same problems as the Big 2 1/2. It's a given. You speed up the production line to meet demand, more problems do happen.

Toyota will have a hard time in '06 I'd venture to say due to recalls. Just wait it out.