School gets 700 applicants for janitorial job

Oracle of Delphi

MASSILON, Ohio - Evidence of the slumping economy is stacking up at an Ohio school which has nearly 700 applications for one open janitorial job.

Officials at Perry Local Schools near Canton in northeast Ohio say they've extended the deadline until Monday to accommodate the overwhelming response to the week-old posting.

The full-time position at Edison Junior High School pays $15 to $16 an hour plus benefits.

Superintendent John Richard says many applicants are laid-off workers with heart-wrenching stories about the tough economic times.

Donna Croston, 49, said she applied after losing jobs at two nearby factories that closed.

Croston said her chances of being hired amid the hundreds of applicants are slim, but that she was hoping to get lucky.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29574766/

Where I work they left 44 of my Co-workers go. We will have to see if more have to go or not in the coming months. I went through this in 2001-2003. I had hoped I wouldnt again but here we are.

Bickering gets nothing done!

Yeah that is just sad. I'm waiting to get the slip too. I'm under qualified for my job even though the guys taught me everything I need to know. I have 2 BA's (Mechanical and Electrical) in the wrong fields and I'm trying for my masters.

I hope some good organized crime can start up soon. I have no problem working on both sides of the law. Who ever gets me first i guess.

Bickering gets nothing done!

Yeah that is just sad. I'm waiting to get the slip too. I'm under qualified for my job even though the guys taught me everything I need to know. I have 2 BA's (Mechanical and Electrical) in the wrong fields and I'm trying for my masters.

I hope some good organized crime can start up soon. I have no problem working on both sides of the law. Who ever gets me first i guess.

Huh? This must be a different Capriceman... I thought the Capriceman that posted here was a rich guy that did government black ops on the side..

How do schools afford paying a janitor $16 an hour plus benefits? Hire only a few of them and work them till they pass out?

I don't know how much they pay them here in Phoenix--I would assume they use illegals and pay them very little, since their is an infinite supply of them.

Huh? This must be a different Capriceman... I thought the Capriceman that posted here was a rich guy that did government black ops on the side..

I have money but I will work till i die because sitting still in the lazyboy at home drives me crazy. Also I am a thrill seeker. I'm getting old though. Sigh.

The government is corrupt so why can't I be?

If some one offers big bills for some deeds that are simple. Why Not? Last I "heard" hits go for $20k+ a pop. I got my BA's in the late 80's early 90's paid for by the govt. I work in IT office right now reinstalling windows and running Cat6 cable to old offices.

I could go back to Warren PD as soon as someone leaves. But there are a lot of cadets fresh out of school looking for work so i Won't do that. And Warren is in no shape to support my salary for being even on call. Merc work will increase as we "pull out" of Iraq". Presidential security possible. Other than that I think Im Retired from the Govt. unless I get some offers. I will take my Full Healthcare and pension...

As for organized crime And high profile security. Let the Offers come on in. Remember, Very rarely did innocent people get hurt in mob attacks.

Remember Its not what you know its who you know.

How do schools afford paying a janitor $16 an hour plus benefits? Hire only a few of them and work them till they pass out?

At my high school a few the janitors supplemented their incomes by stealing all of the school's VCRs, laptops, and other luggable electronic equipment over summer vacation and dumping them at the pawn shop downtown. Apparently the asset tags on the bottoms of them didn't deter the shop owners one bit; they paid out and the janitors made a bundle.

Our janitors just do a crappy job. We're losing some next year (along with teachers and secretaries).