GM plans upgrades to Chevy Volt throughout lifecycle

Intrepidation

004chevyvolt2011_opt.jpg

One intriguing prospect of GM's upcoming Voltec technology -- the drivetrain used on the 2010 Chevrolet Volt -- is the ability to drastically alter the vehicle's dynamics through a software update. Such improvements will be implemented on the fly and they won't need to wait until further versions of the vehicle are introduced. Future implementations of the Voltec powertrain will likely appear in higher-end vehicles, as foreshadowed by the Cadillac Converj concept from this year's Detroit Auto Show.

When the time finally does come to introduce a second generation of the Chevy Volt, the biggest area of improvement may be made to the battery pack. In lieu of crafting a pack that allows for more electric-only range, GM's engineers will reportedly focus on reducing its size and cost. Since the battery is easily the most expensive single piece of the Voltec pie, this should help GM turn a profit on the second-gen. Volt.

Source: Autoblog

Compared to windows? Why yes it is. Compared to Linux? Why yes it is.

You sir, are a funny man! My last semester of college they had bought new G5's and upgraded the other G5's to Leopard. They had so many problems with them. Lockups, crashes, reboots, security controls that wouldn't keep their settings. They finally posted a notice saying they were downgrading back to Tiger due to all of teh problems and people needed to get whatever they had saved off.

Besides, if Apple does the software programming half of the normal controls won't work and you'll have to do some weird combination of other controls to get the result one button would have gotten...cuz it's simpler.

Also you'll be limited to 3 HVAC temperature settings instead of having full control over the temperature.

And menus on the screen won't be tabbed, they'll kinda just float around.

I was watching a show advertising some cheesey "full surround sound" from a single little TV top box. Apparently it offered simply amazing and perfect surroud sound. Plus it could be upgraded via software updates.

It struck me that they had just attempted to spin that they obviously believed that their product was imperfect and in need of improvment into a "feature".

cletus8269 makes an interesting point. It will be interesting to see people "overclocking" their Volts at the strip. There could be some amazing light shows during failure.

Also you'll be limited to 3 HVAC temperature settings instead of having full control over the temperature.

Kind of like how iTunes doesn't have balance control? I mean, c'mon, it's BALANCE CONTROL! I help some people do some audio stuff, and they use split tracks. iTunes is worthless for split tracks, because they overlooked offering a basic feature that can be found in just about every base level car stereo.

You sir, are a funny man! My last semester of college they had bought new G5's and upgraded the other G5's to Leopard. They had so many problems with them. Lockups, crashes, reboots, security controls that wouldn't keep their settings. They finally posted a notice saying they were downgrading back to Tiger due to all of teh problems and people needed to get whatever they had saved off.

I like my iphone, but it used to be the least stable gadget I have ever owned before they updated it several times...My dad and I swear by PC's (well, my dad is more of an AIX based kinda guy) and my mom and sister swear by macs...Our PC's have never had any issues...the Macs on the other hand...my sister has had her macbook into the "genius" shop more times than I can remember, and my mom is always coming to me to help her out when something goes stupid on her mac...

Oh, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVbrm_GqhM

:lol:

I was watching a show advertising some cheesey "full surround sound" from a single little TV top box. Apparently it offered simply amazing and perfect surroud sound. Plus it could be upgraded via software updates.

It struck me that they had just attempted to spin that they obviously believed that their product was imperfect and in need of improvment into a "feature".

That's just Bose and their overrated overpriced garbage.

My buddy swore by Bose...thinking they were the end-all be-all of audio...one of those cases of more money than brains. Same goes for his family. It wasn't hard to show him the error of his ways.

That's just Bose and their overrated overpriced garbage.

My buddy swore by Bose...thinking they were the end-all be-all of audio...one of those cases of more money than brains. Same goes for his family. It wasn't hard to show him the error of his ways.

It wasn't even bose. I don't recall the brand, but it seemed like a real pretender to me. That was part of what made the "upgrade" comment even more funny. There was no way they were going to deliver what they promised, but they claimed it was already perfect, yet it could be "upgraded"!

I just hope Microsoft does not get the software job!

It would take them longer to get it right than GM.

Yes we would not want any Blue screens with an informative error number that would actually tell us what is wrong!

Because OSX Leopard is just super reliable awesome right? :rolleyes:

Compared to windows? Why yes it is. Compared to Linux? Why yes it is.

Great, if it is Apple, we end up with a stupid blank screen and a ? mark, if Linux we end up with a stupid CLI and a Kernal dump that is even worse than the Windows Blue Screen.

Sadly, they all have their pro's and Cons. As a computer Software engineer, I have come to refuse to work on the MAC CRAP, I will only do what is needed on the stupid Linux world and with Windows, I preferre to go with a locked down server Kernal. They have truly proven reliable.

Funny thing is that I was on an Airbus plan to Germany and the entertainment system crashed showing it was being run by Free BSD.

One of the Flight attendants told the other girl it always does that about half way through the trans altantic flight and just unplug the system and plug it back in and it will come up. Then just credit anyone who complains about loosing what ever they paid for.

What a joke.

At least I believe we all will see a somewhat reliable software and hopefully much better than what we have seen out of Toyota.

Plus it would be nice to have more frequent updates than how the nav updates happen. Buy a 2006 Escalade and in 2008 you can finally get an updated DVD that actually shows the updates from 2006 let alone 2007. Always years behind what is current.