Oldsmobiles on the road

mustang84

Even though Olds has been dead for a few years now, I still feel like I see a ton of them on the roads. Today I was driving to work and had an Olds Alero in front of me and an Olds 88 behind me, with an Olds Cutlass a few cars ahead of me in the other lane. Did Olds really sell that many cars in its last few years? Or maybe it is just a regional thing; the former Buick-Olds-Cadillac dealer (now Bu/Cad/GMC) has a pretty large store and does a lot of business here.

Up until the announcement, Oldsmobile was putting out more Intrigues alone than Saab and Hummer are selling combined.

Throw in the Aurora<More sales than Sky>, Bravada<More sales than Outlook>, Intrigue <more sales than Aura>, Alero <way more sales than Astra> and Silhouette<way more sales than Relay>, and you suddenly wonder why Saturn is here today and Oldsmobile isn't.

Just on my block there are my 3 Oldsmobiles (Cutlass Ciera/Delta 88/Aurora) my neighbor has a Silhouette van, another person around the corner has a 95/96 Ciera SL, and a few doors down from them is another house with a 95 and a 01 Aurora. My aunt in NC has an 03 Alero 4dr, and until a few years ago there was a 1998 88LS and a Cutlass on the block. Almost everyone on my street at one time or another has owned an Oldsmobile.

Absolutely! Oldsmobiles are like cockroaches around here, and that's fine by me (even the wrong wheel drive ones)! There's even a dealership 25 miles away that still proudly displays its circa late 1970's Oldsmobile sign even though it hasn't sold a new one in close to two decades!