Audi system detects stop lights, tells drivers to floor it

pow

This would actually be quite helpful for my commute. It helps you drive faster *and* save the planet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/22/audi-sy...rs-to-floor-it/

audilights2_450op.jpg

It takes months of traveling a particular route to properly time the stop lights, and even with the most intricate knowledge of every intersection, missing the red every time is about as probable as winning the lotto. Audi is looking to change that with a new stop light detection technology that communicates with specially equipped vehicles to tell the driver exactly how fast to drive to avoid getting caught at a red. Audi installed special devices at 50 traffic lights in Ingolstadt, Germany with sensors that calculate your current speed and the distance to the light to determine what adjustments are needed to lay off the brake pedal. The result is improved fuel economy and CO2 emissions, optimal use of time spent on the road and less wear and tear on the brakes. The system can also adapt to traffic patterns to minimize the amount of red lights you'll have to encounter on your daily drive. After soldering on virtually unchanged for 100 years, it appears the modern day traffic light is almost ready for a makeover. Technology is good.

[source: Kicking Tires]

I like the idea, a lot. Almost every day I hit at least one light that I only miss by a second or two. If I knew ahead of time I could start slowing down (engine braking) sooner, and time my braking so I don't have to come to a complete stop. Or I would know to accelerate a little more from the previous light to make the next. If it could somehow be implemented in all stop-lights that would be incredible, but I feel it would be a difficult task.

i like the setup some firetrucks have locally (unfortuantley my department doesnt have it). Its called the preemptor, and when a truck has its emergncy lights on, the traffic lights automatically chnage in their favor.... oh i wish i could order one!

i like the setup some firetrucks have locally (unfortuantley my department doesnt have it). Its called the preemptor, and when a truck has its emergncy lights on, the traffic lights automatically chnage in their favor.... oh i wish i could order one!

I believe there is a $10,000 fine if you're caught using one.

Yeah, local firetrucks, police & ambulances have that tech.

Now as far as my car talking to traffic lights, even for my

benefit, I'm NOT for it. Smells of big brother! This is the

slippery slope! Besides, if I had an S4 waiting for a green

light would be half the fun of my commute. You payall

that money for awd & turbo-charged 5-valve tech. might

as well put it to work in a 0-50/60/70 mile an hour sprint.

You gotta admit though, only the Germans would come

up with something this insanely cool and over-enginered.

I do love German cars, but sometimes they go too far to

show off technology that would, honestly be better left in

a Buck Rogers comic book.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I wonder...

Instead of an option to break to make the lights, maybe there is an option to drive faster as well?

Like...if you want to be "legal" and "safe" and "efficient" you could drive 25 mph and make all the green lights on a street.

Or...

Floor it. Get your average speed up around 130 or so, and you will make all the greens.

Kinda like the "power" button on the M5.

Well, maybe not. But it would still be fun anyway to see how "fast" you can to go to make the greens.